Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:57 AM

466 posts, read 982,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
The fact is many kids now attend and graduate from college with at least a bachelor's degree.Many kids now want to explore the the country. All over the country N-E-S-W many new residents have higher education.Today's bachelor's degree is yesterday associate degree. Look at down state even a good distance from NYC the COL is extremely high. Why because of the employment opportunities in the tri state.The COL in WNY is low, why the job market in no way supports a higher COL.
I'm not sure what your point is. I was just pointing out his anecdote wasn't fact for the region as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,296 times
AS for me,I know a lot of things better than anyone on here about NY.I've lived here for 41 yrs.NOW,am moving to central Florida.I have lived here and seen everything.I lived in 9 counties.1 was MONROE for 8 yrs.I'm moving due to high taxes,mean and stuck up people, nothing to do here all year round and medical due to back surgery.I'M not an expert on any of this just trying to let others know,NY is not getting better but worse.WE have good education here,but the medical sucks.AND most of people abuse the welfare here too.In Monroe county 75% are blacks and 15% are Mexicans and rest are whites.YES,I was on it for 15 years.Now am on SSD,due to 85% of back is rods/screws.I walk and stay active.But living here is hard.We only have the sidewalks or YMCA.IN Florida,i will have trails for bikes and walking to use all year round.OK,enough is said.AND YES I DON'T HAVE GOOD GRAMMER.WE NOT ALL PERFECT LIKE MOST OF YOU ON HERE. BYE

Old 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Wait a second. You were on welfare for 15 years and SSD and the "taxes are too high"?? Sounds like you owe ME some of my tax money back.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 PM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftynut62 View Post
AS for me,I know a lot of things better than anyone on here about NY.I've lived here for 41 yrs.NOW,am moving to central Florida.I have lived here and seen everything.I lived in 9 counties.1 was MONROE for 8 yrs.I'm moving due to high taxes,mean and stuck up people, nothing to do here all year round and medical due to back surgery.I'M not an expert on any of this just trying to let others know,NY is not getting better but worse.WE have good education here,but the medical sucks.AND most of people abuse the welfare here too.In Monroe county 75% are blacks and 15% are Mexicans and rest are whites.YES,I was on it for 15 years.Now am on SSD,due to 85% of back is rods/screws.I walk and stay active.But living here is hard.We only have the sidewalks or YMCA.IN Florida,i will have trails for bikes and walking to use all year round.OK,enough is said.AND YES I DON'T HAVE GOOD GRAMMER.WE NOT ALL PERFECT LIKE MOST OF YOU ON HERE. BYE
If you're going to sit there and tell me there is nothing to do around Rochester, you simply cannot be taken seriously. Period.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
If you're going to sit there and tell me there is nothing to do around Rochester, you simply cannot be taken seriously. Period.
People who say there is nothing to do, need to get off their butts and get off their damn phone. Facebook isn't going to come to your front door and give you a list of things to do. There's rarely a weekend when there isn't a festival of some kind in the area. Even in the middle of winter, there's numerous festivals and things to do. Don't complain about money either. Many are free or low cost. Most weekends I have to pick one or two events to attend and there's over a dozen to choose from!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM

376 posts, read 599,144 times
Quote:
I walk and stay active.But living here is hard.We only have the sidewalks or YMCA.IN Florida,i will have trails for bikes and walking to use all year round.OK,enough is said.AND YES I DON'T HAVE GOOD GRAMMER.WE NOT ALL PERFECT LIKE MOST OF YOU ON HERE. BYE
I have only been here for a while but I think there are plenty of trails around here for walking/hiking/biking. There's definitely more than just sidewalks or the YMCA. Biking is going to be tough in the winter with all the snow, but you should be able to snowshoe or do cross-country skiing for a change.

My complaint is that this area is somewhat lacking in natural beauty, the landscape is too flat and the trails too easy, but perfect for little kids, old people or people with mild mobility issues. If you go a little bit out of the way to the finger lakes, then it's very pretty.

Quote:
People who say there is nothing to do, need to get off their butts and get off their damn phone. Facebook isn't going to come to your front door and give you a list of things to do. There's rarely a weekend when there isn't a festival of some kind in the area. Even in the middle of winter, there's numerous festivals and things to do. Don't complain about money either. Many are free or low cost. Most weekends I have to pick one or two events to attend and there's over a dozen to choose from!
Having things to do has different meanings to different people. Many may not consider going to festivals appealing. The level of activity here certainly doesn't compare to bigger cities like NYC or Toronto, but I'd think Rochester has more going on than some random place in Florida, in fact, it probably has more going on than most comparable size cities. NYS has tons of problems, but Florida is easily one of the most overrated states in the country.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Quote:
In Monroe county 75% are blacks and 15% are Mexicans and rest are whites.
Anyone else catch this? Those numbers are very very off.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM

97 posts, read 201,004 times
Quote:
AND YES I DON'T HAVE GOOD GRAMMER.WE NOT ALL PERFECT LIKE MOST OF YOU ON HERE. BYE
Good grammar is not difficult to achieve. We all learned it in elementary school. If you can't write like an adult, you will be judged accordingly. That's reality.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Anyone else catch this? Those numbers are very very off.
It took me about 10 times reading it to decipher, but I think the poster was trying to imply that 75% of those on welfare are black, 15% are hispanics and 10% are white. But even still, I'm sure the OP pulled that number out of thin air.

I did get a kick out of them saying the taxes are too high and then basically admitting they haven't paid taxes in 15 years if they are on welfare.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Man, I'm as pessimistic as they come and this this place as much as the next guy, but damn, that guy is WAY off lmao. If you're gonna hate on Rochester or NY in general, at least get your facts at least moderately straight. Nothing to do here? C'moooon man!

As far as the trails comment, my only thought is maybe he meant flat, paved trails? Rochester is quite hilly compared to most of FL, so that would make sense. I dunno, that's about all I can think of. And the "all year round thing", well, ya gotta give him that, but that's obvious lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area