Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 PM

289 posts, read 399,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if anyone said that there aren't issues with some things in the area or in NY. I think the statements towards education can be based on opinions, but there is information out there to help state a point. It could be based on how students are challenged, test scores, graduation rates, etc. Attainment is another factor and while the percentage of people with a HS diploma in NY is only about 1-1.5% higher than SC, but there is about an 8% difference between the two states in Bachelor's degrees and a 6% difference in graduate degrees, with NY being higher. I believe that the Rochester area is above the state percentage as well. List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0
I think the graduation rate being that close between NY and SC is a shame for NYS with the tax base. With that said it just proves you cannot just go by stats. I'm sure the stats are changed by low poverty areas. I believe the stats from the southern states will change with the migration. As always you make good valid points. Things change over time. Was it not trure twenty five or so years ago in WNY some schools would teach farming. What is your opion on telling others not to reply to anothers posts or threads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I would never belittle or mock anyone for moving south or wanting to move south. Heck, I moved south myself. That's not what's happening from Rochester natives in response to these type of "well Rochester sucks and my life is better because I moved to so and so" posts/threads. There are several people who have left Rochester, love their new location, are happy they moved....and still comment on the Rochester forum WITHOUT calling people naive or uninformed for choosing to live here. There's no "backlash" against folks like that. However; when somebody feels that they are more "enlightened" or "right" for moving away from Rochester and others who stay in or move to Rochester are "wrong".....that's a completely different thing.

I moved away from Raleigh, NC back in 2007. After being there for well over a decade we had decided it just wasn't the right place for our family and we moved back to Rochester. I still comment on the Raleigh and NC forums from time to time. I talk about the towns/neighborhoods I'm familiar with, schools, stores, general day-to-day aspects of living there etc. I don't go to say "haha...sucks that your school system is county based and that they bus kids 45 minutes from where they live" or "haha...why would anyone want to move there because it's miserable in the summer and they have excessive heat warnings every week" .... That would be incredibly immature and there's just no reason for it. I am happier here than I was down there and I am glad I moved here from there. That doesn't mean that I should be trying to dissuade others from moving there just because of my personal preferences.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
I think the graduation rate being that close between NY and SC is a shame for NYS with the tax base. With that said it just proves you cannot just go by stats. I'm sure the stats are changed by low poverty areas. I believe the stats from the southern states will change with the migration. As always you make good valid points. Things change over time. Was it not trure twenty five or so years ago in WNY some schools would teach farming. What is your opion on telling others not to reply to anothers posts or threads?
Keep in mind that the percentage is for those 25 and over and NY also gets a lot of immigrants. That isn't the graduation rate, but the percentage for all residents in that age range, immigrants, transplants and all.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I would never belittle or mock anyone for moving south or wanting to move south. Heck, I moved south myself. That's not what's happening from Rochester natives in response to these type of "well Rochester sucks and my life is better because I moved to so and so" posts/threads. There are several people who have left Rochester, love their new location, are happy they moved....and still comment on the Rochester forum WITHOUT calling people naive or uninformed for choosing to live here. There's no "backlash" against folks like that. However; when somebody feels that they are more "enlightened" or "right" for moving away from Rochester and others who stay in or move to Rochester are "wrong".....that's a completely different thing.

I moved away from Raleigh, NC back in 2007. After being there for well over a decade we had decided it just wasn't the right place for our family and we moved back to Rochester. I still comment on the Raleigh and NC forums from time to time. I talk about the towns/neighborhoods I'm familiar with, schools, stores, general day-to-day aspects of living there etc. I don't go to say "haha...sucks that your school system is county based and that they bus kids 45 minutes from where they live" or "haha...why would anyone want to move there because it's miserable in the summer and they have excessive heat warnings every week" .... That would be incredibly immature and there's just no reason for it. I am happier here than I was down there and I am glad
I moved here from there. That doesn't mean that I should be trying to dissuade others from moving there just because of my personal preferences.
I understand your point a little fun is ok. Sometimes it can go way overboard. I'm glad you are back and enjoy living in Rochester. I can understand why people move away from Rochester but also understand why they miss what kept them there. So since you once resided down south I'm sure there are things you miss. I guess one gets over protected of where they live. I'm sure I can learn from your life experiences as you can from me. All it takes is a little open dialog and to listen without name calling.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the percentage is for those 25 and over and NY also gets a lot of immigrants. That isn't the graduation rate, but the percentage for all residents in that age range, immigrants, transplants and all.
That is why you can't always go by stats.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
That is why you can't always go by stats.
What do you mean? I believe that NY's graduation rate is higher, in spite of having the biggest urban district in the country in the state, immigrants/ESL, etc. Then, it seems that a higher percentage go on to get college undergrad and graduate degrees or at least have them in NY compared to SC.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
What do you mean? I believe that NY's graduation rate is higher, in spite of having the biggest urban district in the country in the state, immigrants/ESL, etc. Then, it seems that a higher percentage go on to get college undergrad and graduate degrees or at least have them in NY compared to SC.
Who cares? If you don't raise your kids like sh*t, they'll be fine. No one in the South goes to Ivy League schools? lol

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I guess maybe there was a misunderstanding. I understand your point regarding education stats in NYS.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Who cares? If you don't raise your kids like sh*t, they'll be fine. No one in the South goes to Ivy League schools? lol
I didn't say that kids in the South don't go to Ivy League schools. I'm explaining, with information, why people may view educational systems in different states the way they do. There are some kids that attended schools in the RCSD that are fine I'm sure as well.

urbanlook, I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I think when people think about other aspects, it is pretty remarkable that NY State does as well as it does. While it could be better in some aspects, there seems to be an effort to improve on those things.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM

15 posts, read 27,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
With horrible pay salary and three kids in Upstate New York, he is not going to send his kids to ivy league school. So much for the cheap housing in Upstate New York. A friend of mine moved away from Rochester NY three years ago and they haven't even able to dump their house and that's in Pittsford. I can only hope to move away like you one of these days but people get too comfortable living in this cheap/dump housing market in Upstate NY. Sometimes I think we live in Upstate because we can't afford or don't have to guts to move away. Congratulations on making such a courageous move! Must be nice to live close to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area