Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 AM

335 posts, read 974,895 times

Advertisements

How bad are the winters in Rochester from a snow standpoint?

Specifically, are there numerous snowfalls throughout the winter or is it more a few major snowstorms each winter that lead to the large snow totals on paper?

Is the snow more powdery or does it tend to be icy?

What are the average temperature ranges from the months of November through March?

I like a lot of features of Rochester to raise my kids, but the winter is the only thing I am hesitant about, but I need more info. For reference, the winters I am accustomed to are from downstate NY, central NJ, Lehigh valley, PA and Dayton, OH. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
1. both. We tend to get numerous light snowfalls throughout the winter with one or two big storms

2. neither. Most of the snow around here is lake-effect snow. Not powdery, not icy...more like big and wet.

3. November and March typically have high temps in the 40s/50s with lows in the 20s/30s. December-February typically have highs in the 30s and lows in the teens. But there will be some days where the high temps never make it out of the teens or even single digits and a few days where it will warm into the 40s or 50s in that period.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
The thing to keep in mind about the areas of Upstate that are in lake effect snow belts is that the highway departments and residents know how to handle snow and winter weather. The road crews are on the ball and mostly get after the snow when it starts. Most drivers remember their winter driving skills after the first snowfall.

Given as much snow as these areas get, the schools don't close very often, and workplaces even less. It's got to be a really nasty situation with heavy snow and high winds to really impact large areas, and those might happen a couple of times a winter in the Rochester area and more frequently in Buffalo's southern suburbs.

The good news is that Upstate doesn't get much ice. Believe me, I live in a very snowy, hilly little city and with AWD, I don't fear driving to work snowy days, but I've already told my boss he won't see me if we get ice. I've been late to work once in 14 years because of icing. I'll take a foot of snow to a quarter inch of ice any day.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The thing to keep in mind about the areas of Upstate that are in lake effect snow belts is that the highway departments and residents know how to handle snow and winter weather. The road crews are on the ball and mostly get after the snow when it starts. Most drivers remember their winter driving skills after the first snowfall.

LOL YEAH RIGHT

Rochesterians are fuggin terrible when it comes to driving in ANY kind of inclement conditions, whether it be rain, snow, sleet, or even drizzle. I take 490 West out of the city every day at 4pm when traffic is a little lighter than rush hour traffic, and even in regular ho-hum rain people still feel the need to do 40mph. It's freaking ridiculous. Add in any type or amount of snow and it might as well be a gridlock caused by a sink hole created by the hand of God himself. There are very, VERY few drivers I encounter on my daily driver that know how to drive in the rain or snow, and just slightly more seem to know how to drive in even nice weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area