Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times

Advertisements

I love Fairport personally, and the schools and rec program are great. If you hop on the expressway you are 15-20 min from anything.... The homes are decent in price and you have Fairport Electric. THe park system is amazing and a great trailway for hiking.... it is a great place to raise kids with a ton to do to keep them occupied and out of trouble on a shoe string budget. It made one of the Top Places to live a couple of years back.... The taxes on the older homes are one of the lowest in the county.... I have been trying to get out of Penfield and back to Fairport for the last 6 years for the taxes and I just LOVE Fairport... I would love to raise my kids there.... GOOD LUCK....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,721 times
In my opinion, the East Side of Rochester is the safest and most livable area in all of Rochester. This includes Brighton, Pittsford, Penfield, Fairport, East Rochester... and very beautiful neighborhoods. Specifically, Brighton has one of the top, if not the top, school system around and it is convenient to everything. There is a mix of housing types available for all incomes. Proximity to the city, yet the benefits of a smaller community. Within the city, the Park Avenue area is extremely popular for people in the 20-40 range. Shops, restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, dog-friendly and people friendly- it offers everything you could need or want.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 37,226 times
And stay away from the areas just north and south of the I-490 Inner Loop

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
Love Rochester! A lovely city. Lived there for 20 years and still visit every summer. Irondequoit is a charming suburb by the water, beaches, parks etc. Durand Eastman Park/Beach in this area is an amazing place. Irondequoit is a great area for a family. The more north toward the water the more charming it is. No crime and you can easily tell just by driving through it. The Irondequoit school district has a better rep than Greece. Greece is huge and the schools are having some issues. A friend teaches in Greece but chooses to live in Irondequoit for schools. The houses aren't very expensive. Many city neighborhoods are fine too, especially if you stay north. Grew up in Charlotte and loved it. Greece is just fine, too.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM

60 posts, read 193,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore1 View Post
Love Rochester! A lovely city. Lived there for 20 years and still visit every summer. Irondequoit is a charming suburb by the water, beaches, parks etc. Durand Eastman Park/Beach in this area is an amazing place. Irondequoit is a great area for a family. The more north toward the water the more charming it is. No crime and you can easily tell just by driving through it. The Irondequoit school district has a better rep than Greece. Greece is huge and the schools are having some issues. A friend teaches in Greece but chooses to live in Irondequoit for schools. The houses aren't very expensive. Many city neighborhoods are fine too, especially if you stay north. Grew up in Charlotte and loved it. Greece is just fine, too.
I lived in Irondequoit for many years. It's a nice town and you can get a house there for a good price. West Irondequoit schools are better than East Irondequoit, and for the most part, the neighborhoods in the west are better (IMHO, but I never lived on the east side). I moved to Webster several years ago, but still miss the sidewalks, neighborhoods and small yard that we had there. I wouldn't say there is no crime there, but it's really not a bad place to raise a family. In fact, I wish we had stayed there.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
where is the place for live when you need a transportation in rochester,i want to move ovethere but i dont have a car .please if somebody can help with this informotion thanks.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamary View Post
where is the place for live when you need a transportation in rochester,i want to move ovethere but i dont have a car .please if somebody can help with this informotion thanks.
Pardon?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamary View Post
The city. Here is the website for our bus system, which is pretty good if I do say so myself. If you moved here 60 years ago, you could've ridden the subway too.

RGRTA

Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
I live in Portland, Oregon and have been offered a job in Rochester. I've never been there and am a bit nervous about the weather and finding enough to do. My wife and I are empty-nesters, but both working.
Anyone out there relocate there recently? What are the pitfalls and pleasures?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM

277 posts, read 883,740 times
I sure hope someone responds. I am interested in Rochester, but have not found a job yet. What type of job did you get, and did you find it online?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area