Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,525 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a female young professional in my mid-twenties and am considering taking a job in Rochester, NY. I currently live in Raleigh, NC. Although I love Raleigh, I have lived there since starting college and am ready for a fresh start in a new city. However, I'll admit that Rochester was never on my radar as an ideal destination until I was offered the position - hence, my apprehension. I only visited the city once for a few hours last month, but am very familiar with the suburbs of Buffalo, NY (I'm actually here visiting family now!). At glance, Rochester was better than I expected...then again I only drove in circles around downtown. I didn't have the opportunity to talk with any of the residents to get a feel for what the people are like.

I am very sociable, so (as much as I hate to admit it!), nightlife is an important factor for me. I also love being active outdoors, going to concerts/festivals, etc. I'd be interested in joining a kickball league there - something that I do and love in Raleigh. Even though I've acclimated to the mild NC winters, I did live 9 years in Colorado and Wyoming so I think I could bounce back into the snowy winter routine I've lived in 7 different cities/towns so I'm used to adapting and tend to make friends easily, am pretty open-minded and optimistic, but this is a big decision for me! The position I'm looking at isn't necessarily my dream job, but it is a good job and it pays very well! However, quality of life is important to me and I don't want to be miserable either.

I have done online research, read other forums and spoken with friends originally from the area or whom have connections there. There are tons of mixed reviews. So, I'm hoping that some of you can help sway me in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:59 PM

5,478 posts, read 3,952,206 times
I suggest you check out the Park Ave or East End areas.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,048 times
Hi there!
Rochester has a great deal to offer and I would be happy to help answer any questions or chat with your further about neighborhoods and places to live.
Absolutely check out the Park Ave, Corn Hill and East Ave neighborhoods if you want to enjoy the "city life" - but don't overlook the suburbs. Depending on where you will be working, there are many great places to live outside of the city.
Yes, there is a great kickball league - and you can also find volleyball (I play at Hotshots volleyball - lots of fun!), softball, soccer, bowling etc all around town.
The Auditorium Theater and GEVA both have EXCELLENT theater (Auditorium has comedy and concerts too!) - the Blue Cross Arena has great concerts as well as semi-pro hockey.
We have great restaurants, AMAZING FESTIVALS (Corn Hill, Park Ave, Lilac - do a quick Google Search on any of these, you will not be bored in the summer months!)
Don't forget we have excellent wineries in the area as well as the Finger Lakes region a short drive away - if you're interested in wine, it's really a lot of fun.
Yes, the weather can be stubborn (although THIS winter is the most mild I can remember in 20+ years!) but the lovely lilacs in the spring and amazing crisp, cool fall - more than makes up for it!
I work in real estate, covering the entire Monroe, Wayne and Ontario County - so feel free to email me any specific questions you have about where to live - or what to do in the Rochester and surrounding areas.
Good luck!

Susan Tripp
stripp@nothnagle.com

Old 12-27-2015, 09:16 PM

466 posts, read 977,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
Good luck with bring bored for 11 months out of the year.
Good luck with the rest of your life. You know, with being a troll and miserable.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 AM

91,974 posts, read 122,078,964 times
^ you have been reported for the violent threat and you still didn't learn when other posters reported you under your rorytmeadows account. That's right, yours truly didn't do it, but others saw right through your style of posting.

Anyway, OP, the SE Quadrant of Rochester is a slam dunk in terms of what you are looking for: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

There may other select neighborhoods or villages in the area you may like as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area