Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM

384 posts, read 353,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
It's seems to me like the majority of people who talk so negatively about the city never even go into the city.
I wouldn't even say it's that. I know a decent number of people who live in Greece, any time something "major" goes down in the city you can guarantee that a couple of them are chiming in about how terrible the city is. But what do they do for entertainment? Like you said Geva, Eastman, Frontier Field, BCA, etc. I almost have to laugh going to those free jazz fest shows that are basically moms from the burbs gone wild yet you know they would turn around and tell someone how bad the city is 2 days later. There's nothing you can really do to convince these people to stop trashing the city, they don't get how a bad reputation sticks to a place even if it isn't totally warranted. Look at Sahlen's Stadium, sure it's not in the greatest neighborhood but this is the question I always ask, when has something serious ever happen to someone going to a game there? Yet any time it get's discussed the number one concern for everyone is how dangerous it is. It has a reputation that will take forever to get rid of, if it ever does at all, which is a shame because it could be a huge community asset. How about the Lilac fest and people being afraid to go now because of some teenagers fighting? These same people are probably statistically more likely to get injured in a car accident driving to the event than they are have something happen to them there, yet the perception will live on now. I don't know why, but around here it seems unless you live in the city, the cool thing to do is hate on it, and it's too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM

376 posts, read 594,523 times
In the next 5-10 years Rochester will continue on its current path of slow decline. Rochester hasn't experienced significant growth for at least 50 years. This means there won't be any major bust in the foreseeable future. After all, when you are near the bottom, you can't go much lower. This is just a part of the greater trend of population shifting away from the Northeast to the West and South, particularly from older industrialized area to newer financial and tech centers.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,318,850 times
Rochester already reached its bottom. I understand for all the dooms day sayers that you're not supposed to be logical but instead you should take the most negative view possible because that's the trendy thing to do, but Rochester is not on a "slow decline". It's on a "slow" upswing at the moment.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM

92,179 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
In the next 5-10 years Rochester will continue on its current path of slow decline. Rochester hasn't experienced significant growth for at least 50 years. This means there won't be any major bust in the foreseeable future. After all, when you are near the bottom, you can't go much lower. This is just a part of the greater trend of population shifting away from the Northeast to the West and South, particularly from older industrialized area to newer financial and tech centers.
Suburbanization without annexation, as well as incorporation has a lot to do with this. If growing cities in other regions stopped annexing 80-90 years ago like Rochester and other Northeastern have, you would see similar results. That's not to say that this would be the case for all cities in these regions, but it would be the case for a good portion to most of those cities.

Towns like Irondequoit and Brighton would be outer city neighborhoods in states that allow annexation.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-19-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 AM

376 posts, read 594,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Suburbanization without annexation, as well as incorporation has a lot to do with this. If growing cities in other regions stopped annexing 80-90 years ago like Rochester and other Northeastern have, you would see similar results. That's not to say that this would be the case for all cities in these regions, but it would be the case for a good portion to most of those cities.

Towns like Irondequoit and Brighton would be outer city neighborhoods in states that allow annexation.
This is a factor but I don't think it's definitive. The general decline isn't limited to the city of Rochester itself, this entire area including the most desirable suburbs have stagnated. In fact the entire state of NY with the exception of NYC metro has been in decline for well over 50 years. The fact of the matter is this area used to matter, but it longer does. I don't see anything in the foreseeable future that can restart growth in a significant way. Rochester in the future will certainly be smaller, less important and less wealthy relative to its past. Rochester won't do as badly as highly industrialized cities like Detroit or Buffalo, but it won't be great either.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
This is a factor but I don't think it's definitive. The general decline isn't limited to the city of Rochester itself, this entire area including the most desirable suburbs have stagnated. In fact the entire state of NY with the exception of NYC metro has been in decline for well over 50 years. The fact of the matter is this area used to matter, but it longer does. I don't see anything in the foreseeable future that can restart growth in a significant way. Rochester in the future will certainly be smaller, less important and less wealthy relative to its past. Rochester won't do as badly as highly industrialized cities like Detroit or Buffalo, but it won't be great either.
By and large/give or take, it is just the city. Monroe County has only had 1 official(key word) census with a population decline(1980). Adjacent Ontario County is the 4th fastest growing county in the state. I think people need to look at the complete pictures, as a year to year estimate isn't official and the last decade showed how inaccurate estimates can be.

Also, I believe that Genesee County used to be in the metro, but isn't anymore, as it is a Micropolitan area now(Batavia). So, that may have to be considered as well.

As mentioned before, if Rochester was in say NC, it is probably a city of 300,000 by just annexing Irondequoit and Brighton, if not a little bit more, versus being a city of 210,000 within 35 square miles. If you include Greece and Gates, Rochester is essentially Raleigh(according to 2010 info) in terms of population(about 433,000) and land size(slightly smaller, 135 square miles versus 142 square miles).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-20-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
By and large/give or take, it is just the city. Monroe County has only had 1 official(key word) census with a population decline(1980). Adjacent Ontario County is the 4th fastest growing county in the state. I think people need to look at the complete pictures, as a year to year estimate isn't official and the last decade showed how inaccurate estimates can be.

Also, I believe that Genesee County used to be in the metro, but isn't anymore, as it is a Micropolitan area now(Batavia). So, that may have to be considered as well.

As mentioned before, if Rochester was in say NC, it is probably a city of 300,000 by just annexing Irondequoit and Brighton, if not a little bit more, versus being a city of 210,000 within 35 square miles. If you include Greece and Gates, Rochester is essentially Raleigh(according to 2010 info) in terms of population(about 433,000) and land size(slightly smaller, 135 square miles versus 142 square miles).
By the way, if Rochester just annexed just Irondequoit and Brighton, it would be still only be 68 square miles. To put that into perspective, it would only be 8 square miles bigger than Richmond(60.1 square miles), a city that currently only has 10,000 more people(about 220,000) than Rochester(actually 35.8 sq miles).

Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 PM

13,948 posts, read 14,851,906 times
I would like to say, my Parents came up to Rochester this last weekend from Massachusetts, and loved it. My father even said he would have brought our family here for vacation when we were small if he knew about it.
There are so many assets to Rochester, the Erie Canal, High Falls, Ontario Beach etc. that if marketed correctly would be tourist attractions. Even for New Englanders, people who live Northwest and far west of Boston (Worcester), Rochester really isn't much more torturous than a drive down Cape Cod, factoring in traffic.
We didn't even go to museums, or a Red Wings game or something else we would have done if they were in town longer.

Last edited by btownboss4; 06-13-2016 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would like to say, my Parents came up to Rochester this last weekend from Massachusetts, and loved it. My father even said he would have brought our family here for vacation when we were small if he knew about it.
There are so many assets to Rochester, the Erie Canal, High Falls, Ontario Beach etc. that if marketed correctly would be tourist attractions. Even for New Englanders, people who live Northwest and far west of Boston (Worcester), Rochester really isn't much more torturous than a drive down Cape Cod, factoring in traffic.
We didn't even go to museums, or a Red Wings game or something else we would have done if they were in town longer.
Where did you go to within the area?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,976,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Are we to assume that you are living in Rochester currently? And loving it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area