Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 19,417 times

Advertisements

I want to rent before I purchase to get to know the area ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
You can also look in the Southeastern Quarter of the city too. My sister when she first moved there stayed in the Park Avenue neighborhood and worked in Henrietta. When her and her husband decided to get a house, they moved into a newer neighborhood in Chili. He grew up in Gates and you will notice that many Black professionals when or if they move to the suburbs tend to go to the Western suburbs or parts of Irondequoit or Henrietta. Some go to the Eastern suburbs with parts of Penfield, Webster and Fairport being more likely.

As for the city, the southern end of the 19th Ward has predominately Black areas that are within the range of middle class. I'm speaking around and south of Brooks and Genesee Park. I hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 AM

270 posts, read 468,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can also look in the Southeastern Quarter of the city too. My sister when she first moved there stayed in the Park Avenue neighborhood and worked in Henrietta. When her and her husband decided to get a house, they moved into a newer neighborhood in Chili. He grew up in Gates and you will notice that many Black professionals when or if they move to the suburbs tend to go to the Western suburbs or parts of Irondequoit or Henrietta. Some go to the Eastern suburbs with parts of Penfield, Webster and Fairport being more likely.

As for the city, the southern end of the 19th Ward has predominately Black areas that are within the range of middle class. I'm speaking around and south of Brooks and Genesee Park. I hope this helps.
Why would you recommend 19th Ward? That is definitely not a middle class neighborhood!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Why would you recommend 19th Ward? That is definitely not a middle class neighborhood!
South of Brooks has areas around or above the national median household income actually. That is the area I was talking about.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,838 times
A lot of U of R and hospital professionals are moving to 19th Ward. A suburban developer is building homes there that start at $169,000. In Rochester real estate prices, I think that is middle class.
New construction in the 19th Ward

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,838 times
To answer the original question, many of the loft apartments are very nice, and so are the apartments right on the river - Corn Hill Landing and Erie Harbor. They might want a 1 year lease though.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 23,806 times
Since you're new to the area I would recommend living in a fairly established area. Pretty much anywhere on the Southeast side and Corn Hill, which is west of the river are solid. The 19th Ward is fairly safe in the very southern part, but there isn't a lot going on over there and you won't be able to walk to other neighborhoods without risking your life. Downtown is experiencing a lot of growth, but it still feels rather empty and unsafe at night unless you're right on East Avenue.

I'd avoid the suburbs not much going on out there. Very few young people and little nightlife. You won't save any money by living out in the burbs either.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM

97 posts, read 200,838 times
There are many lofts downtown but they tend to be pricey and there's aren't many walkable amenities in that area yet. As far as lofts go, I would recommend the Village Gate instead. It's in the Neighborhood of the Arts, which is a really neat place, plus it's within walking distance of the Public Market and other great areas of town like Park Avenue. Most of your other options in the Southeast Quadrant are subdivided houses, a small number of 1920s/30s-era buildings, and a few blah 1960s/70s-era complexes. The South Wedge has some new construction with Erie Harbor (waterfront) and South & Hickory Place.

https://rocwiki.org/Apartments

Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM

30 posts, read 37,841 times
Yes

if you like urban living check out the rentals on Water street and that area. Some nice rehabs there.

Also check the East End of the city, and +1 for Corn Hill.

I lived in Philly and transitioned back to Rochester well. There is a lot to do if you have an open mind. Welcome.

Last edited by greenjam75; 02-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area