U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM

897 posts, read 2,316,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
How do you know these will be call center jobs? You put a negative spin on everything.
This will be their corporate headquarters. They will most likely be corporate type jobs, not low level call center jobs. 400-600 jobs is a great boost. So what if they offer tax breaks? Thats how other cities do it. And how do you know that their only growth is from acquiring other companies?
It sounds like a negative spin but it is actually criticism. My previous post I recommend that they should of looked for a company that is not in this area. I do not see the positive benefit. If you take a look at the companies press releases it shows they have merged with 1 company and have acquired about 4-5 companies since 2004

August 19, 2004 - PAETEC announced it had completed the purchase of a significant base of commercial customers, switches, and related facilities of Covista Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ symbol: CVST).

Paetec employed 1,100 people in 2004
Democrat & Chronicle: PAETEC changes plans for the good of the company (broken link)

January 4, 2005 - PAETEC announced it was purchasing privately owned telecommunications company, American Long Lines, which primarily served small and medium-sized business customers in the Mid-Atlantic region.
American long lines employed 50 people
ftp://ftp.paetec.com/PDFS/News/2005%20releases/PAETEC_ALLClose_030105.pdf (broken link)

In 2005 paetec employed 1300 people.

Feb 02, 2006 - Brooks Announces PAETEC Communications to Expand in Monroe County
(Print-friendly PDF file) The company now employs 502 people in Greater Rochester and has a total statewide employment of 626.
Media Center - 2006 Press Releases - PAETEC (http://www.paetec.com/media/2006_news.html#-%20Brooks%20Announces%20PAETEC%20Communications%20 to%20Expand%20in%20Monroe%20County - broken link)

February 28, 2007 - PAETEC merged with Charlotte, NC based telecommunications company US LEC in a $1.3 billion cash-and-debt transaction. The deal was approved by both companies' stockholders and on March 1 was closed with the two companies merging into the publicly traded

April 2007 paetec Has employed 2300 of those Us Lec was a 1,000
http://www.paetec.com/downloads/inth...ntPO316518.pdf

PAETEC Holding Corp.
September 17, 2007 - PAETEC Holding Corp. to Acquire McLeodUSA.
employees at mcleodusa=1,600

October 12, 2007 - PAETEC Holding Corp. to Acquire Allworx Corp. out of east rochester. they employ 70 to 100 .(That is a year of jobs for paetec. Do you see job growth or just play of numbers.)

Paetec present employment 2,400
PAETEC Holding Corp. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
PAETEC Holding Corp. information and related industry information from Hoover's

Again Read the news about the company. If you look from 2004 to 2007 the company almost doubled employment.(which is good) How many from merger and acquisitions 1,120.So the true employment from paetec was 0. It was all growth by buying other companies. In Rochester they had about 500 in 2004 and now they have about 620 in 2007 which 120 are from acquisitions. They are about to gain about 1600 more employees by next year when the purchase of mcleodusa is finalized. So Paetec will probably move some of those people to Rochester in the next 5 years. So Rochester is not truly benefiting from the move. See the Government officials want the public to believe the company will employ people from the area. Typically this is not the case with mergers and acquisitions. They just move or shuffle people around. I am not negative; I am a realistic person that wants real change. I do not want Public officials catering to Big Business if it does not benefit the area.

Democrat & Chronicle: Local News

On the job Queston: yes fairport Hq has call center employees they get paid close to 30k a year but they need a degree in telecom compared to other area call centers.I do not know what the employment mix is at paetec HQ but I know from other tele com companies that most of the employees are support.

My opinion is that midtown has to go. I just disagree on how they solved the problem. It may increase foot traffic for the lunch hour but most of the revenue will leave the city from the working employees. The city will gain more school tax revenue from them. I know that there are several companies inside mid-town does anyone know how many. Does the loss offset the gain.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-10-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: copyright
Rate this post positively

Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,962,428 times
Taking over 4-5 companies in 3 years is pretty good.
You stated that they are adding jobs locally, could possibly move some jobs fro acquisitions here and you say that does not benefit the area? How does that not benefit that area?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:51 PM

89 posts, read 302,947 times
Sibley's
House of Guitars commercials'
Two Guys
Agostineli's
The Den
WBBF
Kodak nights watching the Amerks
Some place in Hilton that had great apples/cider
Fireman carnivals
Champion outlet store
Shopping at Sears downtown
Guitar lessons at Eastman SOM
Trips to CNE
Lolly Pop Farm
Seabrease

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM

355 posts, read 802,487 times
Default 5 Best things in Rochester

1. Pizza and wings from Carbone's
2. A fish fry from Summerville Grill
3. Seabreeze on a nice summer day
4. Don's original chocolate almond custard
5. Wegman's

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,409,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
1. Pizza and wings from Carbone's
2. A fish fry from Summerville Grill
3. Seabreeze on a nice summer day
4. Don's original chocolate almond custard
5. Wegman's
Pontillo's > Carbones. At least if you're a "West sider"

Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM

222 posts, read 648,251 times
Do you guys remember Edwards that use to be in Greece? I use to hate that store and always wished my mother would hurry up in the old peoples store

USA skating rink
Pudgies Pizza
I remember when I was young we had to walk to Hoover Drive school (in Greece) and I thought the walk would never end. One of our friends was hit by a car and killed, that's when we were able to get the bus
Senior day at Bishop Kearney (Kearney, Kearney,Kearney fire up to win)
Sal Birdland
The guy who use to cook grilled chicken downtown. How I miss those grill chicken sandwiches
Soup and Salad
the 3 cheese grill cheese sandwiches at Chase
Toyland
miss the public market. I don't think the farmers market in NC can compare

Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM

355 posts, read 802,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Pontillo's > Carbones. At least if you're a "West sider"
Yea Pontillo's is good too, especially the one on W. Ridge Road. The one in Batavia is also a winner.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,409,510 times
My parents lived about 100 yards from the one on w. ridge... right on Cabot Road.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM

897 posts, read 2,316,573 times
good food from rochester:
French Mustard
Zweigle's company-white hots
jello- (leroy)
Bill Gray's
Country Sweet
Tom Wahl's
Dibella's
Great Northern Pizza Kitchen
Zebb's
Don's Original
Abbott's Frozen Custard
Dinosaur Bar-b-que
jolt cola
Helluva Good Cheeses
birds eye
wegmans
Genesee brands
Honey Brown

Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,593,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
good food from rochester:
French Mustard
Zweigle's company-white hots
jello- (leroy)
Bill Gray's
Country Sweet
Tom Wahl's
Dibella's
Great Northern Pizza Kitchen
Zebb's
Don's Original
Abbott's Frozen Custard
Dinosaur Bar-b-que
jolt cola
Helluva Good Cheeses
birds eye
wegmans
Genesee brands
Honey Brown
Need names of these places please....
There was a cheese factory between buffalo and rochester - do you know the name of it? Also there was a restaurant I think it was in LeRoy - it was very pretty in a country setting right off the Thruway..I use to order brook trout there with my Mom. Also there was a jazz nightclub in downtown Rochester - kind of a dive where I went to hear Miles Davis..can't remember the names of these places - anybody know? Also what was the department store that was in the downtown mall that went out of business? Not Sibley's - but the other one - I got a really nice cashmere sweater there
There was also a restaurant not far from Eastman that was like an old fahsioned tea parlor where the old ladies with white gloves used to come for dainty little sandwiches and waldorf salads..can't remember the name of that one either...thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area