Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 12,096 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to get some info or opinions about the city (around Clinton/Elmwood and the Brighton area) from those of you who live there, since i'm in Alabama and thinking about moving there, but it's not really easy to see for myself :P any thoughts/info is helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by lrbsfs_05; 12-04-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 AM

33 posts, read 124,805 times
Brighton butts right up to the city limits of Rochester. It's an older established community. Older homes, tree-lined, sidewalks, street lights. It's beautiful and has one of the best high school districts in the country. Small lots. Not sure where you're coming from but it's like the historic district just outside of the downtown area of Huntsville, except much bigger and not every home is "historic". Not sure what prompts your move but includes or is next to the areas that include the U or Roch, RIT, Strong Hosp, and pretty much everywhere else. I live in Baltimore now but grew up and still visit (mom lives in appartments in Brighton, dad lives in webster). You can be anywhere in the greater rochester area in about 15mins, any time of day. Elmwood and clinton is pretty much the U of R if my memory serves me. Again great location. Rochester does have some "ugly" areas but those areas are good. On the north side of downtown Clinton gets rough but you're a "world" away down on Elmwood. I know Huntsville well and the Ft. Rucker area alright. Rochester is a little "bigger city" than Huntsville, it's surrounding suburbs are huge and form a horseshoe around the city. Those make the metropolitan area much bigger than H'ville. Let me know what else.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbsfs_05 View Post
I'm just trying to get some info or opinions about the city (around Clinton/Elmwood and the Brighton area) from those of you who live there, since i'm in Alabama and thinking about moving there, but it's not really easy to see for myself :P any thoughts/info is helpful. Thanks!
Brighton is probably one of the best suburbs of rochester. It is close to the city limits but the neighborhoods that it is next to are all pretty good. Elmwood and clinton is an area with a lot of medical practices.It is not where the U of R is located . U of R is closer to mt. hope which is in the city. The elmwood and clinton has Apts and condos. There is a grocery store on clinton. I believe Brighton area also has the highest Jewish population in rochester.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
That area of Brighton is very nice...practically an extention of the Park Avenue/Browncroft/Monroe Avenue area of the city (the most desirable area of the city of Rochester). You're close to all the cultural assets and nice parts of the city...and well distanced from the seedy/crime ridden areas.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM

131 posts, read 792,900 times
Default Brighton

We moved to Brighton at the end of June (from near NYC) and we love it so far. I have one child in the middle school and one in the high school--both schools are excellent. The previous poster was right about being able to get almost anywhere you need to go in the greater Rochester area in 15 minutes--that's what my sister-in-law told me (she's lived here for over 20 years), but coming from Westchester, I could hardly believe it!
Our neighborhood is made up of homes from the late 50s/early 60s, so the lots are a bit bigger than in other parts of Brighton.
If you have kids and you are debating between moving to the city of Rochester or Brighton, I would definitely suggest you pick Brighton, if you can at all afford it (you can definitely get a house here for less than $200,000--people warned us that the taxes were high, but coming from Westchester, they seem low to us! But they do probably average about $5,000/$6,000 a year.) The city of Rochester schools are unfortunately not very good.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,096 times
Thanks for all the info, especially to IfULivedHere since I used to live near huntsville, and that helped a lot Schools don't really matter cause my husband and I have decided not to have kids. If we do, it's gonna be a LONG time from now. Thank you sooooooo much (all of you) for all the help, it's just reaffirming all my hopes and expectations It's gonna still be a couple of years, since we're trying to get out of debt, but I can't wait until we can move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area