Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my family (wife and 3 elementary school aged children) and I are relocating to Rochester next year from Watertown NY because I will be attending RIT. We will start off renting but if everything works out we eventually want to buy a home. I do not want to live in the city or an overpopulated suburb. What I would like is a small, charming town that is within driving (45 min commute max) distance to the city. By charming I mean, a nice and safe downtown/main street area with shops and restaurants not overrun by Burger Kings and WalMart. Older homes with no large cookie cutter housing developments. Good schools with parks or walking trials nearby.
I have done a little bit of research and some of the towns I have come up with are, Canandaigu, Brockport, Geneseo, Honeoye Falls, Fairport to name a few. Are these towns kind of online of what I described? Are there other towns I am missing? Once we move we plan on visiting as many of the outlying town as possible but right now I am just trying to get a feel for some of the places I should plan to visit or not waste my time on.
Any info would be great, Thanks!
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
I would highly recommend Canandaigua. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Very safe and a beautiful little city. And a short 35-40 minute drive to Rochester.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
All of those can work. Spencerport may be another community to look into. Perhaps other villages like Churchville, Caledonia, Scottsville, Avon and LeRoy may work too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hi everyone, my family (wife and 3 elementary school aged children) and I are relocating to Rochester next year from Watertown NY because I will be attending RIT. We will start off renting but if everything works out we eventually want to buy a home. I do not want to live in the city or an overpopulated suburb. What I would like is a small, charming town that is within driving (45 min commute max) distance to the city. By charming I mean, a nice and safe downtown/main street area with shops and restaurants not overrun by Burger Kings and WalMart. Older homes with no large cookie cutter housing developments. Good schools with parks or walking trials nearby.
I have done a little bit of research and some of the towns I have come up with are, Canandaigu, Brockport, Geneseo, Honeoye Falls, Fairport to name a few. Are these towns kind of online of what I described? Are there other towns I am missing? Once we move we plan on visiting as many of the outlying town as possible but right now I am just trying to get a feel for some of the places I should plan to visit or not waste my time on.
Any info would be great, Thanks!
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
Though I have not been in Rochester very long and may not be able to contribute to your initial question, I am also attending RIT and would be more than willing to offer my help in any way possible.

If it helps, I have heard that Canandaigua is a great place. I've heard many good things about it, and nothing bad. This is vague but does slightly support the above post.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Perhaps look into place like Caledonia and avon too.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Villages south and southeast of RIT would be maybe 20-25 min. away.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Also, can anyone recommend any older/historic *SAFE* neighborhoods close to or in downtown Rochester? Schools are a very big deal and I know Rochester isn't exactly known for it's inner city public schools, but I didn't know if there are any nice parts of town in a good school district. From what I can tell Brighton is about the only option. Is that true? I ask because I want an old/small town feel but it would also be nice to be somewhat close to everything the city has to offer but not at the expense of high crime and bad schools. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM

I believe parts of western Irondequoit has a similar feel from what I can remember.

Actually, Park Ave/parts of SE Rochester could work, as Francis Parker Elementary is a solid/good school. I wonder if it is a matter of if neighborhood children go there or if it has children from various neighborhoods though. Francis Parker School No. 23 / Overview

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-10-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Also, can anyone recommend any older/historic *SAFE* neighborhoods close to or in downtown Rochester? Schools are a very big deal and I know Rochester isn't exactly known for it's inner city public schools, but I didn't know if there are any nice parts of town in a good school district. From what I can tell Brighton is about the only option. Is that true? I ask because I want an old/small town feel but it would also be nice to be somewhat close to everything the city has to offer but not at the expense of high crime and bad schools. Thanks!
I would actually suggest Pittsford as well. It's a bit higher end and it's a suburb, but it's only about a 10 minute drive to downtown. It has "Schoen's Place" which is right on the canal and feels like a business district right out of the 1800's.
Schoen Place - Rochester Wiki

Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Schoen's Place sounds awesome, I will definitely check it out. Other recommendations like that around the city would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Sometimes I feel like I was born 100 years to late haha, love the old/historic spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area