Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'll be moving to Rochester in the near future and with a lot of sports (football, basketball, hockey) getting underway soon I am looking for some good pubs to get a drink and watch a game at.

I prefer a laid back atmosphere i.e no loud music or rowdy young college kids. I'm only 28 but not really into that scene anymore. I will be attending RIT and living fairly close to campus so I'm sure I will run into some college kids but I at least want to avoid the more popular college hangouts. The larger beer selection the better, really into craft/local brews. Decent food like burgers and wings are a plus. I'm happily married so picking up girls is not a factor. Mainly looking for a cool place with some character with nice people and a good beer selection with a few TV's on during games. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone. I'll be moving to Rochester in the near future and with a lot of sports (football, basketball, hockey) getting underway soon I am looking for some good pubs to get a drink and watch a game at.

I prefer a laid back atmosphere i.e no loud music or rowdy young college kids. I'm only 28 but not really into that scene anymore. I will be attending RIT and living fairly close to campus so I'm sure I will run into some college kids but I at least want to avoid the more popular college hangouts. The larger beer selection the better, really into craft/local brews. Decent food like burgers and wings are a plus. I'm happily married so picking up girls is not a factor. Mainly looking for a cool place with some character with nice people and a good beer selection with a few TV's on during games. Thanks!
Ahh...finding good bars/restaurants with good beer and food in Rochester? That's a piece of cake

The number 1 option I can think that fits all your criteria is MacGregor's. They have a number of local locations. They are near RIT and also have an East End location.

They have a beer selection that would rival any other place in the world I bet:
MacGregor's Beer Club

It's a restaurant/bar so it's generally not rowdy at all.

Another good option which is another local chain is The Distillery. They also have good beer and great food and is a bar/restaurant like MacGregor's.

The Distillery Rochester NY Imported, Specialty, Domestic, Draft, Bottled Beers

Another specialty bar which was started by former RIT students is the Roc Brewing Co. also on the East End. It's a really modern looking location. So it's a nice experience.
http://rocbrewingco.com/our-beers/

The Finger Lakes is known for wine, but there are actually a ton of breweries here too. Rochester has a few breweries right in the city. So we have great beer around here too.

There is also TC. Riley's which is right at Park Point (RIT's little college town), so that is another option.

The thing about Park Point too is that even though it's technically RIT's college town, it's open to the public, so you'll always see a mix of the older crowd too even if you run into the college crowd. And RIT as a whole tends to have a lot of older students and is an engineering school, so the students aren't the typical rowdy college types for the most part. The UofR is the same way, so you should have no issues there. I graduated from and attended RIT when I was 28 and never ran into any problems going to the local bars.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Awesome bro! MacGregor's looks like my new spot. Cheers!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
I think your best bet is the Rochester Tap Room. Nice sports bar, a little higher end than your normal pub. As a bonus, great location right on the river with beautiful views of downtown.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I think your best bet is the Rochester Tap Room. Nice sports bar, a little higher end than your normal pub. As a bonus, great location right on the river with beautiful views of downtown.
Ahh Rochester TapRoom is a great option too. It's in Corn Hill Landing which is definitely one of the most scenic parts of rochester.

Rochester Taproom

This is the view from around there:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ex...af826044fb7ed5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: