Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,320,494 times

Advertisements

The new bus station downtown is opening next month. I have to admit that it does look pretty slick. It will be nice to get those buses off Main St. which should help businesses in that area since cars will actually be able to park on Main St. again thus allowing for both pedestrians and commuters to get back onto Main St. It's hard to believe that as a city we've gone so long without a real bus station!

Touring Rochester's shiny new transit center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 PM

And for those that I know are already thinking this, here is your answer
Transit guards to be unarmed, ex-police or military

Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 AM

466 posts, read 979,196 times
I'm just glad the buses will be off Main St.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,875,071 times
Be interesting to see how this place looks in another 1-2 years. Hopefully its inner city user base doesn't destroy it like they do everything else, we'll see I guess.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:26 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,300,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Be interesting to see how this place looks in another 1-2 years. Hopefully its inner city user base doesn't destroy it like they do everything else, we'll see I guess.
Main and Clinton is usually pretty rough during the day around the bus stops. Admittedly very rough when the city school students are waiting. At least now there are several other stops to choose from, which leaves a scattering of customers. When the station opens everybody will gathered inside a relatively small terminal building. The article does make it look nice though. Of course security will be a welcome addition to what appears to be a state of the art facility. Overall I'm optimistic.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM

466 posts, read 979,196 times
Yeah, Main and Clinton is a disaster. I love what is happening downtown, but that corner needs help.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I completely agree. I really hope the city makes an effort to keep the bus station clean and safe. The one good thing is that I think the city and downtown really understand how important it is to keep a good image, so I would imagine there will be little tolerance for shenanigans that destroy that.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,745,048 times
When I worked downtown, I used to take Park and Ride in the winter, and the closest bus stop was at Main and State. City, county, and federal workers who rode the bus would wait there, too, along with others who worked in that area.

Does this mean that those people now have to walk to one bus station now to catch the bus? I don't get it.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 PM

The bus station opened today!

Here is info on how to use the station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlGcVZC5KQ

And wow, I didn't realize the station was as high tech as it is. It has heated floors and sidewalks, the buses have GPS on them so they can be tracked, there is an electronic board telling riders arrival times, there are terminals for purchasing tickets like at subway stations, and there are large screen touch boards where you can put in a destination and it will give you a bus ride plan, including being able to specify just an upcoming event in Rochester and see the bus plan to get to the event. Rochester should be very proud of this bus station. It looks to be an impressive station that I bet cities around the US can be envious of.

Oh and finally, the building just looks very cool.

Here's a great article from the Rochesteriat on it:
Bathrooms, Heated Floors, Free Rides (and More)! - the Rochesteriat

Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,844,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The bus station opened today!

Here is info on how to use the station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlGcVZC5KQ

And wow, I didn't realize the station was as high tech as it is. It has heated floors and sidewalks, the buses have GPS on them so they can be tracked, there is an electronic board telling riders arrival times, there are terminals for purchasing tickets like at subway stations, and there are large screen touch boards where you can put in a destination and it will give you a bus ride plan, including being able to specify just an upcoming event in Rochester and see the bus plan to get to the event. Rochester should be very proud of this bus station. It looks to be an impressive station that I bet cities around the US can be envious of.

Oh and finally, the building just looks very cool.

Here's a great article from the Rochesteriat on it:
Bathrooms, Heated Floors, Free Rides (and More)! - the Rochesteriat
Thanks for sharing, I'd rep you if I could.

It is very nice inside. TBH, it looks like a smaller train station from the pictures. Hopefully this increases ridership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area