Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 AM
sk2 sk2 started this thread

64 posts, read 63,596 times

Advertisements

The past week the Buffalo News(10/18/2014) has questioned the Wegman family and its ownership of liquor stores in close proximity to their food stores. " Six stores and counting as officials of New York State turn a blind eye to family members in name only being owners" states Dan Locche a Kenmore operator. New York State prohibits chain liquor stores. "They lease space from Wegmans"????????? They own these stores individually but many are corporate officers also at Wegmans. Ask one of the employees of these stores if they are Wegmans and they will say no but who owns the store in name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
I don't see why anyone without a financial interest in it would support the NYS law existing in the first place.

They appear to have found a workable loophole to get around the stupidity, good for them. I'm sure they had lawyers go over the details carefully before opening.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
I think it's only fair that the Democrat and Chronicle retaliate by going after Buffalo for receiving a billion dollars in taxpayer money to make them a better city, but still being a complete $hithole.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
They're building another one here in Rochester (their home base), and it is a way to get around the ridiculous "no liquor's to be sold in grocery stores" rule. Albany is caving to the small, independent liquor stores while ignoring not only convenience to shoppers who might want to buy a dang bottle of wine at Wegmans (or elsewhere) along with their meal fixins but also ignoring the considerable contribution to NY's coffers that additional licensing would bring.

I say good for them, except that they probably won't be carrying the banner for changing that stupid law now.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM
sk2 sk2 started this thread

64 posts, read 63,596 times
Wegmans has done so much for Central & Western NY and the NYCity dealers control Albany and we the consumer has to pay the price. Yes, some small operators will be hurt or forced to go out of business but this is prime example upstate vs downstate lobby.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 PM

308 posts, read 467,398 times
It's time to end the state sanctioned monopoly and allow liquor and wine sales in grocery stores. Moving here from a state that does allow it, I can't see any benefit to prevent it. It is so much more convenient to pick up all your groceries in one shop.

As for supporting the smaller state monopoly liquor stores, let them compete on their own merits. While I would pick up wine and liquor at Safeway, my local wine store also got my business. Not because I was forced to, but because they offer personalized service and speciality wines that Safeway doesn't.

They also need to end the Sunday noon law which kowtows to the religious community.

Politics is corrupt. Otherwise, they would be listening to the majority of their constituents that want this enacted.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
NY is soooooo backwards with alcohol laws. There are plenty of liquor stores in the South and wine is sold in grocery stores. Kroger even sells bottles that are hundreds of dollars. They also sell local/regional/state wines. The wineries don't seem to have an issue. Never stopped from hitting up a few vineyards in NC. I couldn't buy all of the wines in a grocery store nor would I want to. Going to Richard Childress Vineyard is a heck of better experience - even if just for the view - than hanging out in a grocery store!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
It's time to end the state sanctioned monopoly and allow liquor and wine sales in grocery stores. Moving here from a state that does allow it, I can't see any benefit to prevent it. It is so much more convenient to pick up all your groceries in one shop.

As for supporting the smaller state monopoly liquor stores, let them compete on their own merits. While I would pick up wine and liquor at Safeway, my local wine store also got my business. Not because I was forced to, but because they offer personalized service and speciality wines that Safeway doesn't.

They also need to end the Sunday noon law which kowtows to the religious community.

Politics is corrupt. Otherwise, they would be listening to the majority of their constituents that want this enacted.
What does that mean? There is NO monopoly - there can't be with individual ownership. No stores are operated by the state. There was a time that Macy's had a liquor store in their NYC store with private label brands; I don't think it exists any longer. But even Macy's was restricted to a single store. Individual stores pay their employees better than a chain would and, like you said, provide better service. This is a story of not broke, don't fix it, regardless of what some Safeway shopping Johnny-come-lately may think.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What does that mean? There is NO monopoly - there can't be with individual ownership. No stores are operated by the state. There was a time that Macy's had a liquor store in their NYC store with private label brands; I don't think it exists any longer. But even Macy's was restricted to a single store. Individual stores pay their employees better than a chain would and, like you said, provide better service. This is a story of not broke, don't fix it, regardless of what some Safeway shopping Johnny-come-lately may think.
There is no justification for banning chains and it's a ridiculous law. As you note, Safeway can build as many stores as they want, why should independent liquor stores get special protections?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:52 AM

240 posts, read 252,393 times
If grocery stores can sell wine and liquor, then liquor stores should be able to sell cheese, pepperoni, crackers and other foods and merchandise usually purchased with wines and liquors. I would support the small liquor store owner over the big chain supermarket by buying my wine and snacks from him, not Wegman's. This way, everybody wins, and we don't need government to regulate us further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area