Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Rochester in May and was just curious as to which part of the Rochester area gets the most snow? I ask because I currently live in Watertown and there tends to always be more snow south of town than anywhere else in the area because of the higher elevation of the tug hill plateau.

Is that the case for Rochester or is it fairly the same throughout the region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:11 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
Generally the worst is in the Eastern Suburbs and towns along the lakeshore that get it worst. And really it doesn't get super bad until you get over to Wayne County which is fairly rural. South and SouthEast of the city is where the least amount of snow is until you start getting down to the Bristol Hills where the snowfalls go up again.

Oh also, how was your visit to Rochester? I think you came up here recently to check it out if I'm not mistaken?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 AM

5,692 posts, read 4,090,496 times
In Rochester winter weather reports you always hear, "south of the thruway"
where most of the snow comes off of Lake Erie.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Generally the worst is in the Eastern Suburbs and towns along the lakeshore that get it worst. And really it doesn't get super bad until you get over to Wayne County which is fairly rural. South and SouthEast of the city is where the least amount of snow is until you start getting down to the Bristol Hills where the snowfalls go up again.

Oh also, how was your visit to Rochester? I think you came up here recently to check it out if I'm not mistaken?
Okay thanks, that's about what I figured.

And yes we had a great visit to Rochester. Had a blast at the Amerks game even though they lost. Cant beat it for $13 a ticket and $5 parking. Had dinner at The Distillery before the game, the wings were amazing.

That actually leads me to another question I had about the area. I will be attending RIT next fall, did a campus tour btw and wow, such a cool, high-tech campus and we looked at a few apartments while we were there and we are pretty set on Blueberry Hill apartments in Chili. Can anyone comment on that area and Chestnut Ridge Elementary School as well, being that we have three elementary age children. We drove around the area and it seemed pretty nice. We liked this area because of the proximity to RIT (less than five miles down NY-252) and also that it's not surrounded by a ton of shopping and restaurants like some of the other places we considered in Henrietta and Brighton. But we were happy to find a Wegman's and Target right down the road. The biggest things we are concerned about is safety and schools, as well as being close to shopping and grocery store but not surrounded by them, which seems like this area is unless I am missing something.

I see that this area doesn't come as highly thought of as some of the more affluent suburbs like Pittsford/Penfield/Brighton but keeping up with the Joneses its really our lifestyle. That is not meant to offend anyone who is a resident of those communities, but it seems like those places, like many suburbs around the country, tend to be part of the culture. As I said before, we are just looking for a nice, safe community were we hope to eventually buy a home and plant roots. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Okay thanks, that's about what I figured.

And yes we had a great visit to Rochester. Had a blast at the Amerks game even though they lost. Cant beat it for $13 a ticket and $5 parking. Had dinner at The Distillery before the game, the wings were amazing.

That actually leads me to another question I had about the area. I will be attending RIT next fall, did a campus tour btw and wow, such a cool, high-tech campus and we looked at a few apartments while we were there and we are pretty set on Blueberry Hill apartments in Chili. Can anyone comment on that area and Chestnut Ridge Elementary School as well, being that we have three elementary age children. We drove around the area and it seemed pretty nice. We liked this area because of the proximity to RIT (less than five miles down NY-252) and also that it's not surrounded by a ton of shopping and restaurants like some of the other places we considered in Henrietta and Brighton. But we were happy to find a Wegman's and Target right down the road. The biggest things we are concerned about is safety and schools, as well as being close to shopping and grocery store but not surrounded by them, which seems like this area is unless I am missing something.

I see that this area doesn't come as highly thought of as some of the more affluent suburbs like Pittsford/Penfield/Brighton but keeping up with the Joneses its really our lifestyle. That is not meant to offend anyone who is a resident of those communities, but it seems like those places, like many suburbs around the country, tend to be part of the culture. As I said before, we are just looking for a nice, safe community were we hope to eventually buy a home and plant roots. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
It is a nice area and I have a sibling that doesn't live to far from there. It is a solidly middle class area, with maybe even some upper middle class folks as well.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
That's great that you had a good time gt87. Here's a tip about downtown that a lot of people don't know in terms of parking too. After 7PM on the weekdays and all through the weekend parking is free on downtown streets without time limits. So if you ever want to avoid the parking fee on a weekend game you can just park on one of the streets without needing to worry about paying.

The RIT campus is awesome for sure. I'm a graduate of RIT too. It's a fantastic school. And the modern look and feel of the campus is fantastic. That campus has grown considerably over the last 10 years too. You can't go wrong with an education from there.

In terms of Gates safety and schools, it's definitely a blue collar, middle class area as ckhthankgod has stated with some more affluent areas. And yes, you're right about the differences in attitudes that those who live in the Eastern suburbs have about the Western suburbs. I grew up on the east side so I don't know a heck of a lot about the west side of Rochester suburbs, but from the people I know who live there, they are very happy and feel it is safe. And I think the schools are decent. Again, you may get negative views from those on the East side, but I don't think it's a bad choice of a place to live. So I think you'll be fine living in Gates with safety and schools.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 AM

5,692 posts, read 4,090,496 times
I never hear of anything bad happening in Chili. It must be a very safe part of town. Also, if you're looking for affluence on Rochester's west side, there's always Brooklea Country Club in Gates.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:48 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Whatever you do, stay out of the city by all means necessary when we get real heavy accumulations, like 6" or more. The plowing here blows, and it's borderline humorous the difference you'll see literally at the city limits at a bordering suburb. I work downtown (8 years now) and live in Greece, and as soon as I cross the border in to Greece the roads look like they got rained on compared to the slushy disaster the city roads typically are. Whenever I complain about my high taxes, I always look back and think "well, at least my roads are plowed" lol. If you have to drive through a side street in the city during a snow storm, be prepared to get stuck or damn close to it. Again, just stay away if at all possible.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. You guys have been super helpful! I'm so excited to move

Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 PM

308 posts, read 467,269 times
I live on South Ave in the city. Never had any issues in my neighborhood with plowing, although I am on a major artery. I always felt that the west side gets more snow, sure is the case right now.

Chili is a great family community, with the schools split between three districts:
Gates Chili
Churchill Chili
Wheatland Chili

Churchill Chili and Gates Chili schools are good, especially the elementary schools. I went to Florence Brasser, GC district, in Chili. Great school. But I recall hearing good things about Chestnut Ridge, too.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area