Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the respondents, seems a couple have posted that kids are not part of the equation for city living. I know here the schools are the key reason a stable middle class can't be established. Remedial programs are great but most parents do not want to be the urban pioneers with their kids education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thanks to the respondents, seems a couple have posted that kids are not part of the equation for city living. I know here the schools are the key reason a stable middle class can't be established. Remedial programs are great but most parents do not want to be the urban pioneers with their kids education.
I have noticed that the more middle class areas of the city of Rochester do have a higher percentage of kids in private schools, like the SE Quarter of the city. There are good public and charter schools in that area as well. So, it may also be a matter of where you live in the city and what residents are open to. The closing of many Catholic schools in cities like Rochester hasn't helped either.

Even when it comes to suburbs, you'll notice that certain factors may come into play and may shape what people may think is "better" or not. So, research is important in order to find out the best situation for you.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-18-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 02:41 PM

There's no argument that private options exist but for many that is an expense along with higher costs for city living that they can't/don't want to shoulder so to the suburbs they head.

As the original question is only asking which posters actually live in the city the observation that some posters don't have/want children seems to parallel the city here.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
There's no argument that private options exist but for many that is an expense along with higher costs for city living that they can't/don't want to shoulder so to the suburbs they head.

As the original question is only asking which posters actually live in the city the observation that some posters don't have/want children seems to parallel the city here.
Is living in the city of Rochester more expensive than living in the suburbs though? Is that the case in the Richmond area? People do decide to move, but it seems to be strictly school based in terms of easier selection within a district.

Yes, I think you are going to find people on here that live in the city that fit the criteria mentioned due to age/stage of life or personal choices. There were a couple of posters in the past that had children and lived in the SE/E portion of the city that sent their children to charter schools, if I'm not mistaken on the schools. So, there are families that actually live in the city and find schools they are comfortable with.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I lived in the city for 2 years and loved every single minute of it. The only reason I moved is because I went and lived in another city for a co-op for school and when I came back, I lived with my fiance who doesn't live in the city. So it was more cost effective then. One way or the other I'll be back there living some day.

In my group at work in a white collar job, of about 20 people in my group, 12 of them live in the city and 3 of them have bought homes. I don't get what is so hard to "understand". That just because you don't like "everything" that entails city living, that others are more than willing and desire that city iiving.
Man, you are really paranoid. He only asked a simple question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm going to mention a different factor that many don't think about and it is a cultural aspect. What I mean by this is that depending on your background, even if you are a suburbanite, you may be more apt to interact within the city due to cultural/social/business aspects being concentrated there. That in turn may allow for someone like that to know there way around the city or be more in tune with what goes on within the city.

I'm just guessing, but in terms of schools, I would think most city residents with children go to public city schools. Some may go the charter, private or homeschool route.
What does any of this have to do with the question the OP asked?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:

You are also looking at this from your own perspective. There are thousands of families that live in the city, so they are obviously tackling these issues and aren't so concerned with them that they move out of the city. There are other programs available too. Such as the Urban-Suburban program where students that desire so can go to suburban schools. There are some city students that have spent their entire schooling years going to suburban schools while living in the city. There are charter schools that don't cost any money. And finally, not every city school is "bad" per say. There are some really good primary and elementary schools. And for the upper grade schools, there are a few good schools that don't necessarily appear to "perform" as well as suburban schools because they have more disadvantaged students. A lot of these students struggle with school in general and bring the overall grades for the school down.

Also, immigrants or others that move to the US who come from much worse public education environments, and who grew up in urban environments may not see the same risks or worry about the same things you worry about in terms of urban schools.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 AM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
So immigrants coming from bad living conditions and a poor country , will love the school system. Wow that's all I can say.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Man, you are really paranoid. He only asked a simple question.

What does any of this have to do with the question the OP asked?
Read the original post again and you'll see why I mentioned it.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
You are also looking at this from your own perspective. There are thousands of families that live in the city, so they are obviously tackling these issues and aren't so concerned with them that they move out of the city. There are other programs available too. Such as the Urban-Suburban program where students that desire so can go to suburban schools. There are some city students that have spent their entire schooling years going to suburban schools while living in the city. There are charter schools that don't cost any money. And finally, not every city school is "bad" per say. There are some really good primary and elementary schools. And for the upper grade schools, there are a few good schools that don't necessarily appear to "perform" as well as suburban schools because they have more disadvantaged students. A lot of these students struggle with school in general and bring the overall grades for the school down.

Also, immigrants or others that move to the US who come from much worse public education environments, and who grew up in urban environments may not see the same risks or worry about the same things you worry about in terms of urban schools.
Your first part is essentially what I was aluding to in terms of how people in the city go about the education aspect while living in the city. I forget about the Urban-Suburban program, which has these participating school districts: Participating School Districts Spencerport is considering joining as well.

As for public schools, I would think that Francis Parker(School 23) and School of the Arts or the International Baccalaureate program at Wilson is the best way to go from K-12 in the city.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:

What are you rambling? Every poster looks from their own perspective.......

All I asked is who actually live within the city and then expanded drawing a parallel to those here with regards to kids because some (including yourself) made a statement on it. Your city schools are doing poor, they are perceived as doing poor, the factors putting them in this condition are many. Specialty program exist as they do in every community and are not a fair measure of any school system; when you admit only a percentage of the top percentage that sort of skews the grades. But as this post was only asking if you live in the city and not what wrong with the city schools...

You stated earlier once your married you want to move back to the city perhaps you will have the chance to be an urban pioneer with your child's education and take advantage of the great city schools....

Last edited by VA Yankee; 01-19-2015 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area