Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM

384 posts, read 354,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
This means if Rochester works for you, you just got yourself an awesome deal.
A good way to put it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 PM

26 posts, read 42,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Looks like there's been some misunderstanding here, so let me make this clear. I am not saying Rochester has no decent restaurants, or its restaurants are worse than restaurants in other comparable cities. All I am saying is that your city (and my city at this point) and its food scene is not world class, and not in the same league with cities like NYC, SF, Paris, Rome and Hong Kong. Rochester has many things to offer, food rivaling these cities is not one of them. I understand a Rochester native's pride in his hometown, but saying stuff like that just makes one a laughing stock.

I kept hearing "overpriced food" being mentioned above. Well, food in NYC or SF isn't really more expensive compared to Rochester. You can drop $500 at Per Se for a nice 7-course dinner with wine pairing and impeccable service, it will be great, or you can spend $5 for a nice falafel from a falafel truck, and it will be pretty good too. A city like NYC or SF has far more to offer in any price category and any culinary tradition.

Really, what is the point of this list? You can produce such a list for any city about the size of Rochester. If one were to make a similar list for Paris, it will be 50 times longer. For every good pizza joint in Rochester there are 200 better pizza joints in NYC. Yes Mr. Dominic's is a decent Italian restaurant, it's very good by Rochester standard. It's considered very good because there are so few good Italian restaurants here. If it were located in NYC, it wouldn't even get noticed. Over there they have Italian restaurants specializing in the cuisines of Sicily, Naples or Milan. There are some decent Korean restaurants here too, but the best of them can't even hold a candle to the average in Flushing or Koreantown.

I have said this and I will say it again, Rochester is an average city with average food. The food here doesn't suck, but it's not sooper dooper awesome either, it's just average, got it? I certainly disagree with certain poster who said there are only greasy and overpriced bar food here. Now, while there are some decent or even good restaurants in Rochester, these restaurants can only considered sooper dooper awesome within the context of Rochester, they are not actually sooper dooper awesome globally, which is what world class means. After dining out extensively for over a year, I generally find the ratings of restaurants here to be inflated compared to bigger cities like NYC, SF, etc. A restaurant rated 4.5 stars on Yelp will generally get at best 3.5 if it were in NYC or SF. A restaurant considered unique, special or awesome here will generally be just run of the mill in those cities.

I completely agree with you, but I think trying to compare Rochester's culinary scene to NYC or SF is almost like saying "NYC has more people than Rochester," or "NYC has more immigrants than Rochester," or "SF has a greater number of cultural institutions than Rochester." The charm of Rochester is the total package. It's pretty hard to find a metro area that offers high level education with an educated population, high level art, truly world-class music, abundant natural beauty and resources, one of the largest wine regions in the country, decent food (and an amazing grocery chain), solid microbrews and coffee, a proud history, ingenuity, etc...all without traffic, some of the cheapest real estate in the country, and near universal health care/low health care costs. It's really tough to match the total package, though quite easy to find places which outdo Rochester in certain individual categories.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
One thing is for sure. The food here is horrible, I mean absolutely horrible. It's either bar food or greasy food that's ridiculously expensive. Compare that to the variety of food options I used to have just a week ago in the South and priced half of what they are in Rochester. Oh, and don't forget they taste authentic too. I am already committed to leaving Rochester in less than 6 months now, thanks but no thanks. This isn't a place I see myself living for the rest of my life, or even till the next year to begin with.
That reminds me of my first week in Tucson. You couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
Traditional Southern good is very greasy actually or fried. It's def. not a healthy option. I work in Webster which has a very few restaurants that are appealing to me. I have been to 3 places so far, one was a very very basic Chinese place with oily food, one was a Mexican place called Maria's Mexican Kitchen which had the most unappealing and bland(never imagined Mexican food could be bland) food ever. Even the salsa was watered down not to mention the stale chips, I would give that place a 0 out of 5. I finally figured out a decent option though, which is going to Wegman's and getting something from their salad bar. That seems to be the saving grace of Webster.
You might want to check out Rubino's. It's primarily a sub shop, but they also serve salads and such. Rubino's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area