Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
For a tourist, possibly. I think its a great city to live in, moved here about a year and a half ago. Bought a house in the city about six months ago.
Personally I like how everything is close by, food, restaurants, shops, lakes and is very easy to drive around in. Anything recreational around the city is very affordable. I wish it could be a little more walkable, but I can still drive anywhere in twenty mins.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
If you think that this city, or any other city with a sizable population is boring, you should be hit in the head with a 2x4. There are always things going on no matter what your tastes are.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
totally agree with the previous posters. But the city is what you make of it. IF you sit on your duff and come in with the IDEA that it is going to be boring you will make it be boring without giving it a chance. BUT if you come in with an open mind and ask the locals where to go and what to do.... you will find the MAG has a great selection of Art on display, Park Ave is quite a hip place to hang out on a warm spring day, Monroe Ave have some really cool stores, Alexander has hot spots you will want to hang out at on a Friday night if you are be it you are 21 or 35, Pittsford has cute shops and great dining along the canal, the fesitvals in the summer are more than enough to fill your agenda and keep you occupied..... the list goes on and on and I still haven't gotten to the wine tasting and skiing.... or the camping and hiking..... but I could be here all night with this list......

Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
totally agree with the previous posters. But the city is what you make of it. IF you sit on your duff and come in with the IDEA that it is going to be boring you will make it be boring without giving it a chance. BUT if you come in with an open mind and ask the locals where to go and what to do.... you will find the MAG has a great selection of Art on display, Park Ave is quite a hip place to hang out on a warm spring day, Monroe Ave have some really cool stores, Alexander has hot spots you will want to hang out at on a Friday night if you are be it you are 21 or 35, Pittsford has cute shops and great dining along the canal, the fesitvals in the summer are more than enough to fill your agenda and keep you occupied..... the list goes on and on and I still haven't gotten to the wine tasting and skiing.... or the camping and hiking..... but I could be here all night with this list......
Speaking of wine, I did a wine tasting with my wifes parents Sunday. We went around Seneca lake, probably stopped at ten different places. Couple places even did beer tasting. Great scenery and is easy to get to. Just drive along the road around the lake (as long as you have a dd )

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
This may be a stupid question but...the vineyards are open in winter?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This may be a stupid question but...the vineyards are open in winter?
Yes and I think it is one of the best times to do a tour... you get served right away, there is no wait... you don't get rushed out because there isn't a line of people waiting behind you.... I personally enjoy going in late fall and winter over any other time of year.... AND Seneca is my favorite tour btw

Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM

They are definetely open. The only downside is that some of the wine is sold out by now.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM

355 posts, read 869,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Is Rochester Gloomy and Boring?
Yes.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Yes.
Seiously.... no offense RottenChester... I know you don't enjoy living here. You have made it clear. But BORING is not Rochester. BORING is a small town in OKLAHOMA made up of 3500 people surrounded by nothing but dust and cotton fields. Where it takes 45 minutes or more to get to a decent grocery store (equal to what we see as let say a low end MARTINS). BORING is where the ONLY thing to do on a FRIDAY night is to go to a townie Footballball game even if you don't like the sport because the whole town shuts down at 4pm so they can go. BORING is having to invent car rides just to get OUT of the podunk town to shop, site see, dine, bowl, see a movie at least an hour away..... So, no Rochester is NOT boring. I know you enjoy coming onto the Rochester thread and putting it down and that is your right as a poster. But I don't think you have honestly experienced the rest of the country like some of the posters on here have.... Like I have..... Rochester is most definitely NOT boring.....there are so many things to do within walking distance that so many people in this country do not have available to them.... that so many people in Rochester take for granted.... It is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area