Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM

93,562 posts, read 124,293,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
That info I pulled from Monroe county's white paper on child protective services.
http://www2.monroecounty.gov/files/h...20Approved.pdf
I don't know if you know this, but the population estimates prior to the 2010 census were grossly underestimated for many parts of Upstate NY and other parts of the northern portions of the country and overestimated for many Southern locations. So, that may have been the case and you can see the difference in the other set of information posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 04:41 PM

26 posts, read 42,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Yep, that is exactly true. As I'm pouring over the census data, I'm noticing a dirty little secret emerging. In these fast growing areas of the country, the population increases are far exceeding the actual number of increased employed people as compared to the more stable and mature areas. That can't be good for the long term. It's a bit like a gold rush. The wages won't be able to stay up because of the labor supply excess.
That's really interesting. It seems like everyone feels the need to qualify private sector job growth in Rochester with the concurrent growth in retirees, but the problem may be worse elsewhere. There seem to be a lot of indicators suggesting slow but reasonable growth in the region. (But the relentless negativity on these forums sometimes makes me second guess myself!)

Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,330,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstr View Post
That's really interesting. It seems like everyone feels the need to qualify private sector job growth in Rochester with the concurrent growth in retirees, but the problem may be worse elsewhere. There seem to be a lot of indicators suggesting slow but reasonable growth in the region. (But the relentless negativity on these forums sometimes makes me second guess myself!)
Whatever you don't lose confidence in our city. Reading the actual data and not just people's opinions definitely paints a completely different picture. Rochester is stable right now. It's economic cellar was the late 90's to early 2000's. But it is interesting looking at the data and an unsustainable situation that I think the data proves. But something I've said before and I'm confident in, is that with Rochester's natural resources with water, some of the best surrounding farm land in the country and multiple technology/science colleges/universities, we will never permanently "decay". We may not grow in the near future like some of the fast growing parts of the country, but we are already dealing with the problems that these areas will ultimately also deal with. The question is will they be able to come out the other side as succesfully as Rochester has.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,455,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
My statements are according to forbes... They base it on tax records obtained from the IRS. You can figure out who is replacing them.

I said in my post taxpayers are leaving ..you know, the givers, only to be replaced with the takers
Not enough people pulling the cart. Rochester and NY are not alone in that category, but it's just not sustainable, long-term.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:02 AM

D&C's Clausen knows it's bunk:

Clausen: Not believing the job hype

Old 06-20-2015, 09:04 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,330,102 times
So you're only point in coming back into this thread is to "prove" the "respected" publication Forbes wrong by posting an opinion piece by one of our "local hacks" as you like to call them? You keep coming back to threads in a city you haven't lived in a decade and was in for only a few short years to inject as much negativity as you possibly can. I just don't get it.

You seem to be completely missing the point here. So let me spell it out for you. This Forbes article is a nice change from where you constantly read about how there are no jobs in Rochester by people not actually actively looking for jobs, or they are looking for 50,000 a year jobs which require no skills. So it's nice change from that aspect. I don't believe the article to be true either. The same reason I don't believe the articles about how some of these other parts of the country are having phenomenal economic growth. Especially after looking at the census numbers. I now know that to be complete bologna.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
So you're only point in coming back into this thread is to "prove" the "respected" publication Forbes wrong by posting an opinion piece by one of our "local hacks" as you like to call them? You keep coming back to threads in a city you haven't lived in a decade and was in for only a few short years to inject as much negativity as you possibly can. I just don't get it.
I lived in Rochester for 28 of my years, leaving at 32 for great opportunities, like many thousands of other Rochestarians.

Quote:
You seem to be completely missing the point here. So let me spell it out for you.
Oh wise one, please do.

Quote:
This Forbes article is a nice change from where you constantly read about how there are no jobs in Rochester by people not actually actively looking for jobs, or they are looking for 50,000 a year jobs which require no skills.
...or they're people with technical educations and tech skills, maybe even mid-career types, who can't find even a decent job in Rochester. Plenty of those people running around, there, and they continue to vote with their feet. Or they're young people with solid educations who can't find even entry-level work, there, something that's been a major problem in Rochester for 25+ years.

Quote:
So it's nice change from that aspect. I don't believe the article to be true either. The same reason I don't believe the articles about how some of these other parts of the country are having phenomenal economic growth. Especially after looking at the census numbers. I now know that to be complete bologna.
So an opinion piece by Forbes, based upon a questionable and biased poll, says Rochester is the top city for jobs growth, this summer? What a joke.

I feel bad for the people who read this stuff and believe it, especially the ones who will maybe relocate to Rochester, thinking there are jobs-a-planty in that town, when that's simply not the case.

At least once a year I test the job market there, more for pure entertainment, than anything else. I'll throw an anonymous resume up on a few high-traffic jobs boards, plus contact a few head hunters I know, as well as submit my resume directly to a few employers.

Without fail, for the last 4 years running, everyone who has contacted me after they find my anonymous resume, and the rest that I contact, say that many employers there would fall over themselves to hire me, or if I'm contacted directly they want to hire me. When it comes down to brass tacks, though, the opposite is true, when you actually speak with them over the phone, say before an interview.

I find it unprofessional that a company wants to know salary/pay requirements, up front. This appears to be a new phenomena, even for Rochester, but right off the bat it appears that HR/PR hacks (you know, some of the folks polled by Forbes ), ask for salary requirements over the phone. No company I've interviewed with here in the South has done that. I tell them what I expect in pay, and some of them, over the phone, pause, then ask if I'd be "willing to negotiate". "No", I tell them, there's no negotiating on pay. I ask them if they offer any relocation assistance. We all know the answer to that, few companies there in town offer it to any people underneath upper management and exec positions.

So the Rochester economy will continue to circle the drain, and be behind the curve regarding cultivating, retaining, and attracting talent. If companies there continue to flatly refuse to offer competitive pay and benefits packages, then those companies will continue to whine that they 'can't find people', a lie which has been spun for at least 15 years, there. Here in Upstate, SC, I have the pick of the litter when it comes to talent, I can be choosy, even, when I go to hire somebody, and I don't rely on HR hacks to find said talent, either. One open position at work had 300+ applicants, from 7 or 8 different states. We ended up hiring a guy from Ohio.

One company in Rochester was all hot to trot to hire me (yeah, I lead them along ), then when I inquired about health bennies, the guy (who was terribly unprofessional, I might add), tells me their family plan has an $11,000 deductible. That told me right there why the position was open, the fact that this clown and his peers there didn't do due diligence to get their employees a cheaper health plan, speaks volumes about what kind of a company they must be to work for.

Another Rochester phenomenon revolves around hacks who were laid off from the likes of Kodak (amongst how many other companies), who are plugged in to positions of 'authority', yet who can't find their derriere with both hands. I worked under two such people, plus some other severe control freaks who didn't have what it takes to run departments, and it was a huge turn-off, going back 10-15 years. So it goes in that town, inbred companies, quid pro quo, who-knows-who, etc. Nobody wants to work for businesses where there are cliques and severe forms of favoritism, but that's how things work in places like Rochester, where for many it's hard looking for a job, and so many companies are run off of a good old boy club mentality.

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 06-25-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM

384 posts, read 356,503 times
You know who I feel bad for? A guy who apparently has so much free time on his hands that he fake applies for random jobs in a city he no longer lives in and then gets some kind of twisted pleasure out of leading companies on who may want to hire him. Maybe Rochester is better off without you and all of your amazing skills.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstr View Post
Check out the Delaware forums. Apparently Delaware's reputation for lower COL and mild climate plus proximity to big metros like Philly, Washington, and Baltimore has resulted in a huge influx in their retiree population. In some areas, the percentage of older people (55+) has soared.

As for the relentless negativity, you see that on the Buffalo and Albany forums, too, and I suppose on the Syracuse ones, too. There are apparently a number of current and forum residents of these areas, or of New York generally, or just generalized trolls, who have way too much time on their hands and spend it dissing various places in NY.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 PM

5,731 posts, read 4,116,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Meanwhile, Millenials and Gen X folks continue to leave in droves.
OH????

Monroe's millennials outpace boomers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area