Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Per the same reference the city proper " As of 2010, the total Rochester population is 210,565, which has shrunk 4.19% since 2000" Ref: Rochester, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Interesting Forbes story Virginia Beach and Grand Rapids Mi are tied for 5th worst at 30% Net Employment Outlook, that makes no sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Pulled from NYS DoL stats, total non-farm employed:

Quote:
Rochester, NY MSA 1990

Total 468,545
Private 411,308
Public 57,237

Rochester, NY MSA 2014

Total 467,722
Private 400,294
Public 67,429

Population 1990 1,002,410
2000 1,037,831 3.5%
2010 1,054,323 1.6%
So you have a little over 50K more people in the metro, yet fewer are working in the private sector. Public sector is up around 10,000, though. Must be real lucrative to work in the public sector, in NYS

Over 40,000 available jobs? Doing what, exactly? I haven't seen any big moves, jobs-wise, in manufacturing up there in the last 3+ years, after a tiny bump in 2011.

Pittsford is not the "wealthiest suburb in NY". I'd love to know where that came from.

Like hundreds of thousands of Upstaters in the last 25 years, we left in '07. By the posts on here, one would think the Rochester economy is booming, and the demand for moving vans to Rochester is through the roof.

Judging by U-Haul's website, if someone were to book a large moving truck for two weeks from now, to move from Rochester to, say, Charlotte, it would cost $2,201, + tax. Opposite direction? $611 + tax. So it's 3.5+ times more expensive to rent a large moving van to move from Rochester, to, say, Charlotte, than vice-versa. Plain old law of supply and demand, I'm afraid. So there's a huge demand for people moving away, and practically zero demand for trucks for a move to Rochester. That's worse than when we left in the summer of '07.

Outside of academia there in town, where are the stats for people moving to Rochester? What about productive, tax-paying people?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:13 PM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Per the same reference the city proper " As of 2010, the total Rochester population is 210,565, which has shrunk 4.19% since 2000" Ref: Rochester, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Interesting Forbes story Virginia Beach and Grand Rapids Mi are tied for 5th worst at 30% Net Employment Outlook, that makes no sense...
I think the city proper may have seen a slight increase since 2010 according to estimates, but don't quote me on that one.

Just as a frame of reference, Rochester is 35.8 square miles. Virginia Beach is 249 square miles and Grand Rapids is 44.4 square miles.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 PM

93,287 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

So you have a little over 50K more people in the metro, yet fewer are working in the private sector. Public sector is up around 10,000, though. Must be real lucrative to work in the public sector, in NYS

Over 40,000 available jobs? Doing what, exactly? I haven't seen any big moves, jobs-wise, in manufacturing up there in the last 3+ years, after a tiny bump in 2011.

Pittsford is not the "wealthiest suburb in NY". I'd love to know where that came from.

Like hundreds of thousands of Upstaters in the last 25 years, we left in '07. By the posts on here, one would think the Rochester economy is booming, and the demand for moving vans to Rochester is through the roof.

Judging by U-Haul's website, if someone were to book a large moving truck for two weeks from now, to move from Rochester to, say, Charlotte, it would cost $2,201, + tax. Opposite direction? $611 + tax. So it's 3.5+ times more expensive to rent a large moving van to move from Rochester, to, say, Charlotte, than vice-versa. Plain old law of supply and demand, I'm afraid. So there's a huge demand for people moving away, and practically zero demand for trucks for a move to Rochester. That's worse than when we left in the summer of '07.

Outside of academia there in town, where are the stats for people moving to Rochester? What about productive, tax-paying people?
Thanks for the info and I think he meant to say to say that Pittsford is the most affluent suburb in Upstate NY, which it is.

In 1990, the Rochester metro included Genesee County, right? Due to commute patterns, it isn't included in the MSA, but is in the CSA, if I'm not mistaken. I know that Yates County is in the MSA now, but I believe that it has a smaller population than Genesee County. Genesee County has 60,000 people, while Yates County has 25,000 people. So, during that time, the metro lost a county that has 2 and a half times more people than the county it recently gained and surprisingly still grew a little bit.

I believe that Genesee County has seen some growth in food production jobs at Algina Foods, Muller Quaker Dairy and Genesee Brewing. Unfortunately, they aren't in the metro count.

Healthcare is the industry that has seen growth: Meet Rochester's largest employers

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

The city population is 1/5th of the metro. The entire metro has gained population since 2000. Even if you want to ignore Ontario County which is the fastest growing county in the metro, and you just want to look at Monroe County, the 2014 estimate is a 2% gain since 2000. And that includes Rochester in that statistic. So its extremely unfair of a comparison to just look at the city of Rochester which is a relatively small city in area and compare that to cities with 5 times or more square miles. Heck, Greece which is a suburb directly connected to Rochester has 100,000 people. That's half the population of the city in one directly connected suburb.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the city proper may have seen a slight increase since 2010 according to estimates, but don't quote me on that one.

Just as a frame of reference, Rochester is 35.8 square miles. Virginia Beach is 249 square miles and Grand Rapids is 44.4 square miles.
Exactly.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

Yes I meant to say that Pittsford was the most affluent suburb in the state. I misspoke when I said it was the wealthiest. But my point remains. Rochester (Metro) economically is not in a decline. It has already bottomed out in the late 90's to early 2000.

But why are you comparing Rochester to Charlotte? Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Compare Charlotte to practically any successful city in the US. Would you use the same argument for NYC? Which do you think has more jobs. NYC or Charlotte? It costs 1100 to rent that truck to Charlotte and only 426 from Charlotte to NYC. So does the same logic apply there? It's 500 to go from Richmond VA to Charlotte and 278 from Charlotte to Richmond.

It's really funny how people come right out of the woodwork anytime a large well respected media outlet says something positive about Rochester. What do you care? You don't live here anymore. Why would you waste your time posting in a thread about Rochester?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM

To be precise, I should have also said upstate NY for Pittsford being the most affluent. But here is the statistic outlining my point:
Quote:
Two Rochester suburbs are the most affluent communities in Upstate New York, according to rankings issued today by Business First.
The adjacent towns of Pittsford and Mendon are first and second respectively in the rankings of all 861 cities and towns in the 48 Upstate counties. (Villages are not included in the standings because they are subdivisions of towns.)

Business First based its rankings on 12 indicators of wealth and earning power. All raw data came from the five-year version of the U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 American Community Survey, the latest source of official statistics at the local level.
Pittsford, a southeastern suburb of Rochester, is the only Upstate community with a median household income above $100,000. The typical household in Pittsford earned $106,285 in 2012. That's twice the national median of $53,046 for the same year.
Here are the affluence rankings for all 861 Upstate cities and towns - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

Old 06-12-2015, 10:20 PM

308 posts, read 467,269 times
This is impressive especially given that the economy is far more diversified now than in the past. I like all the activity happening in downtown. The city is doing a good job rebuilding downtown and broadening its focus towards residential along with the mainstays of commercial and office space.

I get a kick out of some of the posters that jump at the chance to slam on Rochester. As someone who lives in the City proper and is downtown daily among other neighborhoods and sees the progress on a regular basis, my take is a bit different. But, the negative views by some help Rochester from becoming a victim of its success. Which is why I moved here to begin with.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:58 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I was simply pointing out that they consider 30% job opportunities as the 5th worst summer job outlook, that doesn't make any sense. Secondly you don't get to quote the specific city limit when posters on here including yourself always refer to the MSA to support their positions.....

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-13-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area