Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:47 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's obvious to others reading this thread. But just to point out.

We have 3 posters slamming Rochester in here:
2 of them have never lived in Rochester and know absolutely nothing about the city or the metro.
The third lived here for a few short years and moved away a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 PM

308 posts, read 467,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Maybe they are just trying to cover for all the jobs Hillary, Schumer, Gillibrand have been promising that region for over 15 yrs. funny, when i do my research, it shows taxpayers are leaving this area in droves...
Rochester MSA statistics show an increase in population between 2010 - 2014. What leads you to believe people are 'fleeing in droves' aka a mass migration out of the region as you stated, per your 'research'?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Well Rochester has a lot of potential. Nice neighborhoods with historical housing stock and an interesting downtown. I believe with time it will become NY's second largest city.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:16 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Default People leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
Rochester MSA statistics show an increase in population between 2010 - 2014. What leads you to believe people are 'fleeing in droves' aka a mass migration out of the region as you stated, per your 'research'?

My statements are according to forbes... They base it on tax records obtained from the IRS. You can figure out who is replacing them.

I said in my post taxpayers are leaving ..you know, the givers, only to be replaced with the takers

Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM

93,327 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
My statements are according to forbes... They base it on tax records obtained from the IRS. You can figure out who is replacing them.

I said in my post taxpayers are leaving ..you know, the givers, only to be replaced with the takers
A lot of people that leave are retired and if this the case, does it explain why a state like NY gets less back for the Federal Government than many of these other states?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:

This thread is about Rochester. You have a source saying the Rochester taxpayers are leaving the metro in droves? Can you link to that source? Because I was just looking at the census data and it doesn't say that at all.

I compared Monroe County which is the main County in the Rochester Metro with Mecklenburg County which is the main county in the Charlotte metro. Now I'm not trying to compare Rochester to Charlotte in terms of growth. I know Charlotte is one of the fastest growing and successful cities in the country. My point is simply to refute this statement that keeps getting repeated about people (or taxpayers) leaving Rochester in "droves".

Mecklenburg County:
2013 population 16 and over: 732,585
2010 population 16 and over: 680,404
Increase of 7.1% population

In civilian labor force employed:
2013: 470,120
2010: 454,035
Increase of 3.5%

Monroe County:
2013 population 16 and over: 601,590
2010 population 16 and over: 592,015
Increase of 1.7% population

In civilian labor force employed:
2013: 353,757
2010: 349,817
Increase of 1.1%

so based on my "research". Neither statement is true, that people are leaving the Rochester metro in "droves", nor are taxpayers leaving the metro in "droves".

Now, there is obviously a higher population increase relative to the employed labor force increase in Monroe county, but if we want to get technical, the Mecklenburg statistic looks far more alarming. They've gained over 100% more potentially employable citizens vs actually being employed compared to a 54% increase in Monroe county. Which actually wouldn't surprise me at all. People always hear about how there are "no jobs" so why would they move here without any jobs lined up? Whereas you always read about "all these jobs" in other states, so the likelihood of moving there with no job lined up is much higher.
http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/t...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old 06-14-2015, 07:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:

That has happened nationwide over the past few years

Old 06-14-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That has happened nationwide over the past few years
Yep, that is exactly true. As I'm pouring over the census data, I'm noticing a dirty little secret emerging. In these fast growing areas of the country, the population increases are far exceeding the actual number of increased employed people as compared to the more stable and mature areas. That can't be good for the long term. It's a bit like a gold rush. The wages won't be able to stay up because of the labor supply excess.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 PM

376 posts, read 599,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but where did you find that information? That is interesting. This information seems to show a slight increase in that age range in recent years in the metro: Rochester Metro Area Historical Age Data - USA.com™

Here is the county information: Monroe County, NY Historical Age Data - USA.com™
That info I pulled from Monroe county's white paper on child protective services.
http://www2.monroecounty.gov/files/h...20Approved.pdf

Last edited by yiplong; 06-15-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area