Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm not sure what I found more comical. Him saying that he was involved in looking over 300 applicants from 7 or 8 states (because of course I must just be imagining the transplants the company I work for has recently hired), or that Millenials and Gen-Xers are leaving in droves (which is hogwash and the census data supports that it's hogwash) or that he supposedly purposefully trolls Rochester employers once a year pretending to want a job. I mean, who doesn't troll employers in other cities, and of course, there's no way a hiring agent wouldn't be able to see through insincerity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
I can't believe some of you care this much about nothing. That's what I find most comical. Pouring over census data? Taking the time to search for articles? Jesus people, go out and do something. You all care way too much about this dump we live in.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I can't believe some of you care this much about nothing. That's what I find most comical. Pouring over census data? Taking the time to search for articles? Jesus people, go out and do something. You all care way too much about this dump we live in.
Says the guy with over 900 posts.

Actually, I only spend time on things I care about, and defending Rochester on false statements is something I'm willing to spend my research time on. It's much better than spending my time whining and looking for ways to be as negative as possible.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Says the guy with 500 posts in 1 year.........

Old 06-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Apparently that went way over your head or you never read past the first line.

You're telling people who are defending Rochester to "go out and do something". So that either means you think spending time here isn't worth it (so you might want to self-reflect on your 900 posts and time spent here), or, considering that your posts are nothing but vile negativity, this would mean you think that only negative, whiny posts are "worth it" to account for your 900 posts.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Although I have found this message board to be very helpful in my transition to Rochester. I cannot believe the negativity from many of the posters on here towards this city. No city in America is perfect and Rochester obviously falls in that category but c'mon people, why not try and make the best of it if you feel like you are stuck here? And if you are no longer a resident of the Rochester area why even bother posting here? I've lived and visited some very depressing areas of this country and trust me when I say Rochester is not one of them.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Although I have found this message board to be very helpful in my transition to Rochester. I cannot believe the negativity from many of the posters on here towards this city. No city in America is perfect and Rochester obviously falls in that category but c'mon people, why not try and make the best of it if you feel like you are stuck here? And if you are no longer a resident of the Rochester area why even bother posting here? I've lived and visited some very depressing areas of this country and trust me when I say Rochester is not one of them.
Rochester is a bottomless pit of pessimism and negativity. Whenever someone moves here or visits from out of town, the locals always playfully question their sanity and judgement, making comments such as "Rochester? Why the hell would you move here? There's nothing here!" or "You should've moved anywhere but here! Good luck! Hahaha!" Most other areas are flattered when they come across someone from elsewhere and welcome them in open arms, guiding them towards all the wonderful things their city has to offer. Here there is very little of that. Across all demographic, social, cultural, racial lines the locals of Rochester seem to hate their city and shoot down every positive thing anyone has to offer.

To be fair though, when you have seen your city fall so far from what it once was, it certainly does break your spirit a bit. I am a victim of this myself.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Rochester is a bottomless pit of pessimism and negativity. Whenever someone moves here or visits from out of town, the locals always playfully question their sanity and judgement, making comments such as "Rochester? Why the hell would you move here? There's nothing here!" or "You should've moved anywhere but here! Good luck! Hahaha!" Most other areas are flattered when they come across someone from elsewhere and welcome them in open arms, guiding them towards all the wonderful things their city has to offer. Here there is very little of that. Across all demographic, social, cultural, racial lines the locals of Rochester seem to hate their city and shoot down every positive thing anyone has to offer.

To be fair though, when you have seen your city fall so far from what it once was, it certainly does break your spirit a bit. I am a victim of this myself.
This occurs with other Upstate NY cities/areas as well, but this is why putting information into proper perspective is important. An example of this is the city population aspect and how people do not understand that city limits/annexation laws aren't the same across the country, which can skew city comparisons in terms of many metrics. So, people have to look beyond face value numbers. That is just one example, but people are so easily fooled or are undereducated in regards to such topics, that when we are presented with information, it can make things seem bad due to a lack of interpretation.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 PM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post

It takes a bit of perspective to really appreciate what is here. I used to be one of the negative people doing that. For me, leaving Rochester for 20 years and living in a much larger metro area (SF Bay Area) gave me a different perspective. We can go back to SF anytime, but it's been 2.5 years now since we've been in Rochester and we still have great appreciation for the area. Here, it's a mini urban area that offers almost all the culture, activities, entertainment that we desire without any of the hassle. We actually take advantage of more here than we did back home where most activities involved an hour+ sitting in stop and go traffic for a commute that otherwise would take 15 minutes. I'm less than 10 minutes from downtown and other good neighborhoods; and it's affordable; you can't beat that. We are hoping for another two years here. Our friends from back home who visit us in Rochester can't believe the deal we are getting here and are envious.

Now the drivers here on the other hand..... lack the most basic fundamental understanding regarding pedestrians and bicycles and don't seem to possess any ability or skill with sharing the road with the pedestrians. In most cities, the pedestrians come first. Either the police around here need to become aggressive in patrolling the drivers or put stop signs (literally) at every intersection to get the idiots to stop for people crossing the street. Clueless drivers abound.

Back to the post, I think everyone should leave for awhile and get some perspective. You may end up finding your new home and then start trolling the Rochester forum ;-) or come back with a new perspective. The lack of interest and appreciation for Rochester works in my favor and keeps prices lower and traffic down- so thanks everyone. :-)

Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Apparently that went way over your head or you never read past the first line.

You're telling people who are defending Rochester to "go out and do something". So that either means you think spending time here isn't worth it (so you might want to self-reflect on your 900 posts and time spent here), or, considering that your posts are nothing but vile negativity, this would mean you think that only negative, whiny posts are "worth it" to account for your 900 posts.
You do understand city-data is more than just local forums, right?

Rochester still sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area