Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:37 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Either the governor hates us or believes our economy is great. Do we get a billion $$$ like that other city the same size as us? No, you get to compete for half of that. We've always done pretty well economically, but can you imagine what we could be with some government support? Instead, we are forced to support everyone else and are rewarded with some of the highest taxes in the nation.

New York state takes 43North template to Syracuse - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:40 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
BTW, our local elected officials put very little effort into helping us either.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 AM

384 posts, read 355,691 times
Rochester is doing too well to need help. And by the time we finally(hopefully) get our piece of that $1.5 billion, we'll be another 3 years behind all of Buffalo's projects trying to catch back up again. No point in complaining about it as this is how it seems it will be for the immediate future, and at least we can be proud we're not doing too bad here despite getting very little help from the state compared to other areas.

In general, I feel like at some point we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and realize we're still the nicest city in New York not named NYC.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:17 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
If you were the states governor would you be applying the money to a locality that is developing a positive momentum on their own or apply it to areas that can't seem to get out of the starting gate?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:36 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If you were the states governor would you be applying the money to a locality that is developing a positive momentum on their own or apply it to areas that can't seem to get out of the starting gate?
They gave Buffalo the money with the justification that they desperately needed it more than anyone. Meanwhile, Rochester needed it just as bad. But because Rochester had the reputation from decades ago that they were a company town being taken care of by Kodak, Xerox etc. we didn't need the help and we're doing just fine.

So I'm not sure which direction you're going, but Rochester needs the help just as much, if not more, than anyone.

And despite barely any support from the state, unlike Buffalo, Rochester is making plenty of progress downtown and its economy is doing just as well if not better.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:45 PM

I'm not going in any direction, the poster above my post said "Rochester is doing too well to need help" and the op said "We've always done pretty well economically" you even said "Rochester is making plenty of progress downtown and its economy is doing just as well if not better."

I was only asking how would you distribute the funds if you were in the governors shoes, every poster said the city has been able to "develop a positive momentum".

Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm not going in any direction, the poster above my post said "Rochester is doing too well to need help" and the op said "We've always done pretty well economically" you even said "Rochester is making plenty of progress downtown and its economy is doing just as well if not better."

I was only asking how would you distribute the funds if you were in the governors shoes, every poster said the city has been able to "develop a positive momentum".
All 3 upstate cities are relatively close to being the same economically. It's ridiculous how much support Buffalo has received versus Rochester and Syracuse.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:05 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
If you read between the lines, you'd know that that "Buffalo Billion" is hogwash. Only $100M or so has been earmarked, the rest is supposed to go to that Elon Musk or whatever project on the Buffalo River (which most likely won't amount to anything).

Most of the billion or so invested in Buffalo in recent years is from private investors, like Paladino.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 AM

384 posts, read 355,691 times
A good point, any money we get from this program could likely be used much better than subsidizing a single business.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 AM

It seems the governor could better serve the state if he could just get business to relocate into the state, these big grandiose programs seems to always be more hype & advertising than real results where they are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area