Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I don't want to speak for Buffaboy, but I assume they're referring to Albany. Naturally, that would've been an expansion market for Wegmans decades ago, right after Buffalo and Syracuse, but a rumored agreement between Wegmans, Price Chopper and Hannaford may be the reason for their absence from the capital. Many speculate that the the latter two Albany-based supermarkets have agreed not to expand anywhere near Rochester as long as Wegmans stays out of Albany. This would make sense as their trucks pass Albany on the Thruway anyway when they deliver to their Massachusetts locations. Why wouldn't Wegmans operate in upstate's 3rd largest metro?

Or maybe Wegmans was foolish for entering the New York City market during the late 1990s/early 2000s, yet never actually opening a store within the city, where they definitely would've been extremely successful. A store is finally planned for Brooklyn, though.

The same could be said for their decision not to expand in western Pennsylvania. Doesn't Pittsburgh deserve a store? What about all the transplants in North Carolina? How long until Wegmans goes international and begins their takeover of the Canadian grocery industry in the Golden Horseshoe?

There have been many examples of Wegmans' unique, and to some peculiar, business model when it comes to expansion, yet it has always been effective. Can't knock 'em for that.
Actually, Wegmans is in western PA. There's a store in suburban Erie, on Peach Street, near the Summit Mall. My guess is that they're very thorough and astute at market analysis and don't just jump into markets willy-nilly.

For example, two areas where it seems almost incongruous, at first glance, to find a Wegmans is the Lakewood, NY (Jamestown area) and within the city of Buffalo, yet these two stores prosper like all the others in the chain. The Lakewood store benefits from all the upscale tourists/summer residents who visit/vacation at Chautauqua Institute or at cottages/homes along the lake. The Buffalo store benefits from its proximity to the popular middle and upper income residential neighborhoods of Elmwood Village, the Delaware District, and North Buffalo as well as to suburban Kenmore and Tonawanda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I was always under the impression that Wegmans wouldn't expand into certain areas because of local union regulations or agreements? At least that's why they weren't in the Albany area?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:19 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
I'm with you on the preference for smaller sized grocery stores. The Wegmans on East Ave and the Tops in Henrietta are decent sized. I would be okay with even smaller. I never could understand why Wegmans doesn't see the potential to cater to different locales via smaller stores. Safeway has perfected the art of grocery store sizes with larger ones out in the burbs ranging to small ones about 1/3 the size of Wegmans East Ave in urban areas. Wegmans doesn't diverge much from their big box model. Although, I do like the option of going to a larger store at times, too.

Fortunately, in Rochester, smaller locally owned grocery stores are filling the gap anyway- to Wegmans detriment. Constantino's on Mount Hope, Hart's in downtown and now the newly announced Abundance Coop moving to South Ave. With the remodeled Tops and Constantino's being closer- our Wegmans purchases have reduced in half.
The last time we visited, we checked out that East Ave. store. What a joke, the parking lot sucks, and the biggest complaint about the old store was about the narrow aisles. Wegmans went with...narrow aisles with the new store, and crammed prepared foods in there.

Selection sucks, too, I couldn't believe how bad the frozen foods and snack selections are in that store.

The Tops just up the road, which may not survive both Wegmans and Aldi's being within a stone's throw, has a better frozen selection, and it seems they often times have great sales on frozen veggies and whatnot.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I was always under the impression that Wegmans wouldn't expand into certain areas because of local union regulations or agreements? At least that's why they weren't in the Albany area?
Wrong. Too much competition and expensive real estate/taxes. There's no handshake deal either. Wegmans and Price Chopper are both in Syracuse.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:55 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Another Mass. Wegmans 120,000 sq ft. I guess most people prefer the large stores.

Wegmans opening new store this weekend

Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 25,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I think the real question is why is Wegmans so apprehensive to expansion that they miss out on other markets that could be gold mines for them?
I would love it if there was a Wegmans in the Atlanta area. I lived in the Rochester area for 30 yrs before moving to Conn. and then Atlanta. The stores down here are getting bigger by the year, but nothing compares to a full sized Wegmans. Most of the grocery stores down here are small to mid-sized. By the sounds of it, some of you would love that.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
That's all hogwash! There are no agreements. No local union regulations. Wegmans employees are paid very well especially for grocery store employees.

They're not in the Albany area because it's a saturated market with high real estate prices and high property taxes. There's already a Price Chopper in every town in the Albany area. Wegmans, on the other hand, is not in every town in the Rochester area. They are VERY selective about where they put stores.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I think the real question is why is Wegmans so apprehensive to expansion that they miss out on other markets that could be gold mines for them?
Every store they open is a gold mine and they are expanding.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,162 times
Yes, but what about Brooklyn? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/ny...navy-yard.html

Old 11-08-2015, 08:33 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
Anybody notice that personal hygiene items in Wegmans are even cheaper than Walmart prices?

I picked up a full-sized can of Gillette shave cream for $0.99 in a bin right before checkout!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area