Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times

Advertisements

If anybody would like an interesting read of the state of economic development in Rochester and the plans for the future, this document is a great read. It's actually quite impressive. We have some great economic leaders here that have great vision.

http://regionalcouncils.ny.gov/sites...ess-Report.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Funny how it's the Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council when most of those listed are in Monroe County and mostly Rochester. People who line in the Finger Lakes don't consider Rochester to be part of the Finger Lakes. The FLX doesn't have our own MSA. The region is all split up and attached to various MSA's - ROC, Cuse, Horseheads.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:47 PM

Read the plan. The plan outlines how the potential funds are split. They are split fairly based on population. About 200 million of the potential 500 million is 100% outside of Monroe County which based on the population split is completely fair.

And people who live in the Western Finger Lakes absolutely do consider themselves part of Rochester. I grew up living 2 miles away from one of those "Finger Lakes", and everybody considered themselves Rochesterians.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:53 PM

From the plan:

Quote:
Projects have been identified with associated private investment in all nine counties of the Finger Lakes region, with approximately half of dollars and half of projects outside Monroe County, aligning these investments with the population split between the urban core and outlying counties.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Read the plan. The plan outlines how the potential funds are split. They are split fairly based on population. About 200 million of the potential 500 million is 100% outside of Monroe County which based on the population split is completely fair.

And people who live in the Western Finger Lakes absolutely do consider themselves part of Rochester. I grew up living 2 miles away from one of those "Finger Lakes", and everybody considered themselves Rochesterians.
I read the plan. The majority of the money is not for the FLX region. It's for ROC. The FLX covers far more than just the western reaches of the Lakes. I live on Seneca Lake and no one here considers us part of Rochester. I assure you that absolutely no one in Skaneateles considers themselves to be part of Rochester. Very few communities surrounding the 11 Finger Lakes consider themselves part of Rochester.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Do you understand what counties are included in the area designation? It sounds like you're stuck on splitting hairs over the name of the council. It doesn't matter what you "consider" part of the Rochester MSA. What matters is how the state designates what counties fall under which councils. Skaneateles isn't part of FLREDC's region. It falls under the same region that Syracuse falls under. So what ever money would go there would be part of that plan. There are 9 counties that fall under our region. And Seneca Lake is definitely part of that region and has large projects designated for the Geneva area.

This is specifically called out as one of the high priority projects:
Quote:
Year One initiatives are specific, high-impact projects that could be launched immediately after winning the URI...

NYSAES
plans to add a high-pressure processing (HPP) safety testing machine at their facility in Geneva, NY. HPP is a rapidly expanding technology and the equipment would be the only Hiperbaric testing machine in the U.S.

currently, testing is conducted in Canada. This collaboration between New York State, Cornell University, LiDestri Foods, Wegmans Food Markets, and others will enhance the ability of NYSAES to serve as a hub for product safety testing in the U.S., and will attract food start-ups and entrepreneurs.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I read the plan. The majority of the money is not for the FLX region. It's for ROC. The FLX covers far more than just the western reaches of the Lakes. I live on Seneca Lake and no one here considers us part of Rochester. I assure you that absolutely no one in Skaneateles considers themselves to be part of Rochester. Very few communities surrounding the 11 Finger Lakes consider themselves part of Rochester.
Well, Canandagua and Coneseus both are directly connected to Roch with divided highways. Seneca is basically half way between Roch and Syr. I believe the west side is in Ontario county and the east is in Seneca, but I'm sure an awful lot of residents commute towards Rochester for work, shopping, legal matters and possibly a night out. A lot of people from Rochester also own vacation homes on all of the Finger Lakes. Yates county, because of it's economic relationship recently became part of the official Rochester Metro.

I almost forgot. Honeoye. What about Canadice and Hemlock too, which supply the Rochester water system.

So it's OK that you feel the way you do. There are plenty of people in the Monroe county suburbs that deny their from Rochester too. But the facts show differently.

Not sure if Silver Lake is officially a Finger Lake. Anyone know?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Well, Canandagua and Coneseus both are directly connected to Roch with divided highways. Seneca is basically half way between Roch and Syr. I believe the west side is in Ontario county and the east is in Seneca, but I'm sure an awful lot of residents commute towards Rochester for work, shopping, legal matters and possibly a night out. A lot of people from Rochester also own vacation homes on all of the Finger Lakes. Yates county, because of it's economic relationship recently became part of the official Rochester Metro.

I almost forgot. Honeoye. What about Canadice and Hemlock too, which supply the Rochester water system.

So it's OK that you feel the way you do. There are plenty of people in the Monroe county suburbs that deny their from Rochester too. But the facts show differently.

Not sure if Silver Lake is officially a Finger Lake. Anyone know?
The history of a number of the Finger Lakes and their towns are intimately inter-weaved into Rochester's history too. Canandaigua Lake and Seneca Lake especially. Women's rights with Seneca Falls and Rochester. And back in the late 1700's to early 1800's, before Rochester started booming, Canandaigua was actually the biggest town in the area and held influence. When Rochester started growing fast it fought to break away from Canandaigua's influence and become the economic powerhouse of the region, which it eventually did. That's why the rail system actually cuts across the state into Canandaigua, and later was built out into Rochester. But when the Erie Canal was built, Rochester was now the economic influence, and the Erie Canal was built further North of Canandaigua and into Rochester. And, the mastermind of the Erie Canal thought up the idea of the Canal while in a debtor's prison in Canandaigua.

So exactly, people can claim they "aren't part of Rochester", but the fact is that Rochester is the economic center of influence for the smaller towns scattered around many of the Finger Lakes. It holds more economic influence over many more Finger Lake towns than any other city in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area