Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The number of robberies, burglaries and larcenies are the lowest they've been since 1985.
Quote:
The number of aggravated assaults was up 15 percent in 2015. The number of shooting victims was up 20 percent. Charges for menacing — threatening someone with a weapon — were up nearly 25 percent.
Rochester crime rate at historic low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 AM

222 posts, read 222,674 times
The overall crime rate in Rochester is 70% higher than the national average.

Rochester is safer than 5% of the cities in the United States.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Yep, still not a safe place to live.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:50 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperK View Post

It is probably bigger than 90-95% of most places in the US(103rd biggest city) and most bigger central cities are going to have more crime than the national average.

Also, some parts of the city will be safer than others in regards to crime.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 AM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:

Because extremely dangerous, isolated neighborhoods in the city skew the data. No one denies Rochester has several crime ridden, poverty stricken areas. It's a shame. But I live in the city and have never been the victim of a crime. I walk my dog at all hours and never feel unsafe. I used to work on downtown for 3 years and never once has an issue. Don't stroll through N Clinton at night and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 PM

222 posts, read 222,674 times
And the people from those areas leach out into others. You must be lucky, or i was very unlucky. During my short few years in and near the city, I had numerous crimes against me.

2 car break ins
1 vehicle theft
1 home burglary

Maybe rochester is a notch above Detroit and st. Louis, but there's no way in hell I would let a child grow up in that place. It's disgusting.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
And the people from those areas leach out into others. You must be lucky, or i was very unlucky. During my short few years in and near the city, I had numerous crimes against me.

2 car break ins
1 vehicle theft
1 home burglary

Maybe rochester is a notch above Detroit and st. Louis, but there's no way in hell I would let a child grow up in that place. It's disgusting.
If you're going to make an incorrect argument, try to at least to stay away from hyperbole. It's a bad look and makes your argument far worse.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
I've lived in both the city and the suburbs (currently live in the suburbs). I never experienced one single instance of crime against me in the city. But I have in the suburbs. Including having what I thought was a friend steal money right from my wallet. There's nothing unique about the city and crime.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:54 AM

376 posts, read 599,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is probably bigger than 90-95% of most places in the US(103rd biggest city) and most bigger central cities are going to have more crime than the national average.

Also, some parts of the city will be safer than others in regards to crime.
Crime rate is a percentage, it doesn't say anything about who has more crime, just more crime relative to population. Your idea that Rochester should have a higher crime rate due its being larger than 90% of towns in the USA is wrong.

Bigger cities don't necessarily have more crime per capita. For example, NYC is more than 20 times bigger, but its crime rate is less than half of Rochester's, 2200 crimes per 100k people compared to Rochester at 5049 crimes per 100k people.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
(note: this includes the entire city of NY, not just Manhattan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Because extremely dangerous, isolated neighborhoods in the city skew the data. No one denies Rochester has several crime ridden, poverty stricken areas. It's a shame. But I live in the city and have never been the victim of a crime. I walk my dog at all hours and never feel unsafe. I used to work on downtown for 3 years and never once has an issue. Don't stroll through N Clinton at night and you'll be fine.
This is a typical spin by Rochester apologetics, as if the phenomenon of "bad neighborhood" is unique to Rochester. The fact is every city has them, but Rochester has far more than most hence the higher crime rate. While there are a few decent spots in the city, large majority of the city is made up of areas I'd prefer not to visit if I can. If I have to make a list, it will be far longer than just N. Clinton at night.

Now consider the borough of the Bronx, widely considered a national symbol of urban decay and crime, it has a crime index of 21 (safer than 21% of the cities in the US) while Rochester is at 6 (safer than 6% of the cities in the US) on neighborhoodscout.com.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 05:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Crime rate is a percentage, it doesn't say anything about who has more crime, just more crime relative to population. Your idea that Rochester should have a higher crime rate due its being larger than 90% of towns in the USA is wrong.

Bigger cities don't necessarily have more crime per capita. For example, NYC is more than 20 times bigger, but its crime rate is less than half of Rochester's, 2200 crimes per 100k people compared to Rochester at 5049 crimes per 100k people.
(note: this includes the entire city of NY, not just Manhattan)

This is a typical spin by Rochester apologetics, as if the phenomenon of "bad neighborhood" is unique to Rochester. The fact is every city has them, but Rochester has far more than most hence the higher crime rate. While there are a few decent spots in the city, large majority of the city is made up of areas I'd prefer not to visit if I can. If I have to make a list, it will be far longer than just N. Clinton at night.

Now consider the borough of the Bronx, widely considered a national symbol of urban decay and crime, it has a crime index of 21 (safer than 21% of the cities in the US) while Rochester is at 6 (safer than 6% of the cities in the US) on neighborhoodscout.com.

Your whining and hyperbole is world class. This is a typical spin by a whiner that overly exaggerates. You number 1 completely don't understand the point chkthankgod is making. If Rochester also included Brighton, Henrietta, and other safe suburbs (just like NYC and other cities include many boroughs and annexed suburbs, that would be a more fair comparison of a crime index. Why don't you take a look at the entire crime index for the metro of Rochester? How does that compare to the massive NYC which includes many, many annexed counties?

When are you moving away from this horrible city where apparently all of everything is in "general decline" according to you. It must just be a figment of my imagination that suburbs like Penfield, Victor, Farmington, Henrietta have sprung up thousands of new builds and new neighborhoods built. Apparently it's my imagination that was a small mall at Eastview 20 years ago has now gone through 3 major expansions along with dozens of new retail plazas and businesses sprung up next to it. Apparently it's a figment of my imagination that Rochester has over a billion dollars being invested downtown in the city. Apparently it's a figment of my imagination that Canandaigua has a lakefront project going on right now worth of over 100 million dollars. There's over a billion of dollars of "general decay" going on. Are we going to survive it?

Get out while you still can.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 11:24 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Your whining and hyperbole is world class. This is a typical spin by a whiner that overly exaggerates. You number 1 completely don't understand the point chkthankgod is making. If Rochester also included Brighton, Henrietta, and other safe suburbs (just like NYC and other cities include many boroughs and annexed suburbs, that would be a more fair comparison of a crime index. Why don't you take a look at the entire crime index for the metro of Rochester? How does that compare to the massive NYC which includes many, many annexed counties?

When are you moving away from this horrible city where apparently all of everything is in "general decline" according to you. It must just be a figment of my imagination that suburbs like Penfield, Victor, Farmington, Henrietta have sprung up thousands of new builds and new neighborhoods built. Apparently it's my imagination that was a small mall at Eastview 20 years ago has now gone through 3 major expansions along with dozens of new retail plazas and businesses sprung up next to it. Apparently it's a figment of my imagination that Rochester has over a billion dollars being invested downtown in the city. Apparently it's a figment of my imagination that Canandaigua has a lakefront project going on right now worth of over 100 million dollars. There's over a billion of dollars of "general decay" going on. Are we going to survive it?

Get out while you still can.
Also, the Bronx is actually a county/borough of NYC. So, can it be compared to cities, when it isn't an independent city?

Then, Rochester is the 103rd biggest city in the country. It is likely bigger than 90-95% of municipalities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area