Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I would move to Rochester in a heartbeat if I had a job offer, but engineering jobs are not common. It is a very under-rated city.
Rochester has had so many things go bad in terms of the major 3 companies in the area, falling but yet it has still grown. And I think it's a testament to the fact that it really is a great place to live. It's good to also see from outsiders such as yourself too that also recognize that it truly is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Rochester has had so many things go bad in terms of the major 3 companies in the area, falling but yet it has still grown. And I think it's a testament to the fact that it really is a great place to live. It's good to also see from outsiders such as yourself too that also recognize that it truly is underrated.
From my perspective, the number one draw to the area is that it is near so many wonderful things surrounding the city AND the cost of living is very attractive. I live currently in an area where only the truly rich can afford to buy a home. I have Google street-viewed and Zillow'd Rochester extensively and wondered why someone wouldn't want to live in such an affordable area. The areas look decent given their price.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
From my perspective, the number one draw to the area is that it is near so many wonderful things surrounding the city AND the cost of living is very attractive. I live currently in an area where only the truly rich can afford to buy a home. I have Google street-viewed and Zillow'd Rochester extensively and wondered why someone wouldn't want to live in such an affordable area. The areas look decent given their price.
Even with the high property taxes, upstate New York is a steal.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Rochester is nowhere near as good a place to live as Greenville, on the jobs front. This region is growing, while Rochester is contracting, and fast. I'd say Madison is also a much better example of an under-the-radar city than Rochester.

We've had billions in private sector investment in the last 7+ years, I'd venture to guess $6B-$7B. Public infrastructure investment is healthy, too. The one drawback here is we don't have a school like RIT or UofR, but we gladly take grads from both schools, Alfred, UB, Syracuse, etc. Our downtown is rated one of the best in the country, if not the best.

Rochester's economy is not growing, and hasn't "grown" in years. Like the engineering grad above, I, too, looked for engineering jobs in Rochester some years ago. Most of them are the same, stale, high-turnover companies there full of jerks. Interviews I went on there some years ago were downright insulting. There's no growth in the technical end of Rochester's economy, no out-of-state firms locating there to any great degree, and scant venture capital. Try finding a solid start-up firm there with solid people, say 10-20 employees. They don't exist in a place like Rochester. It's too risky an investment, really.

Too many of the tech jobs there are contract gigs with no benefits, too.

I'd say Worcester and a couple of those California cities should be at the bottom, Rochester in the middle.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Weird that you can't find an engineering job. In the back of the Rochester Business Journal there are always blurbs with pictures of people being hired at Rochester engineering firms. Additionally many local firms are acquiring work and satellite offices all over the world. Keep looking. One thing I notice is they all seem to be hiring a lot of woman.

Rochester is not a city in decline. About 100,000 NEW jobs have been created in Rochester in recent history. Unfortunately the decline of some of our major companies offset the newly created jobs so it's not as evident. There are 18 colleges and universities in the region.

Cornsnicker, good luck. I think if you moved here first, you'd find a job.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:00 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Weird that you can't find an engineering job. In the back of the Rochester Business Journal there are always blurbs with pictures of people being hired at Rochester engineering firms. Additionally many local firms are acquiring work and satellite offices all over the world. Keep looking. One thing I notice is they all seem to be hiring a lot of woman.

Rochester is not a city in decline. About 100,000 NEW jobs have been created in Rochester in recent history. Unfortunately the decline of some of our major companies offset the newly created jobs so it's not as evident. There are 18 colleges and universities in the region.

Cornsnicker, good luck. I think if you moved here first, you'd find a job.
It is cheap enough that I might even consider it

Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Try finding a solid start-up firm there with solid people, say 10-20 employees. They don't exist in a place like Rochester. It's too risky an investment, really.
2touchpos
Accelerate Media
ACI Controls
Adventive
Animatus Studio
Archer Communications
Fusion Reactions
Document Security Systems
Digitronik Development Labs
Cloudsmartz
I-Evolve Technology Services

I just named a few. I can name a hundred more of these smaller companies easily. It's actually the reason why Rochester has continued to increase overall employment even with massive cuts at the big 3 local companies.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
When my last engineering position got moved across town and I didn't like the new group or commute, I was at a new desk with a new company in less than a month, so I don't know where he is getting "no engineering jobs" from.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Four of my engineering buddies at RIT already have engineering job offers in Rochester as soon as they graduate in May. Definitely jobs our there, just need to know how to market yourself.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM

308 posts, read 467,481 times
Quote:
For me, the draw to the area is:
Amount of culture available / relative to size
no traffic- ease of getting around
Natural beauty
All of which comes affordably

We alternate between the SF Bay Area & Rochester, usually spending a year or two at a time in each location. I find that we end up doing more when we are in Rochester. It's hard to get motivated to do things when it involves sitting in the inevitable traffic. People gripe about NY and the taxes but from where I stand, it's a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area