Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Macedon. How is the town,schools,area in general?
Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
I would say if you are going to choose Macedon, I would pick Walworth/Penfield Schools. It is JUST on the bordr to Monroe County (which has the better schools and services) and you can go to Penfield Schools. The housing is cheaper and you get more for your money. MACEDON shares a school with Palmyra and it is called PAL-MAC. It is the better of the Wayne County Schools (speaking as a teacher). However, the classes are VERY SMALL compared to the Monroe County class sizes- I am speaking of the entire class as a whole... I had a friend who graduated with something like 70 kids, where I graduated with almost 500. I personally would aim for WALWORTH side and send my kids to Penfield.

Last edited by skbs; 03-20-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,451 times
It's also very rural. You'll be driving to most shopping and entertainment, though not particularly far.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Yes, Macedon will require a drive- especially if you are on the EASTERN side of Macedon. There isn't much to do in Macedon either and no TRUE town center with shopping. The only grocery store is a Wal Mart as is the only single shopping center for clothing and home. Eastview Mall (the nicest of the malls is going to take about 15-20 minutes depending WHERE in Macedon you are) The city will take 25 minutes or more depending on when you are driving. If you live in Macedon, you will be doing all of your shopping and entertainment in other towns for sure.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,451 times
I looked at real estate in Macedon briefly and recall many/most properties having large lots with acreage but being on well/septic. Some not having access to high speed internet or cable. Like I said - RURAL. That can be good or bad depending on who you are.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

I agree... lived over the county line and the major companies don't service the area- FRONTIER is the phone service for Monroe County and Verizon services Wayne- much more expensive and not as good...

Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,395 times
Wayne County seems to have somewhat of a "bad rap" in the overal Rochester area, which is probably not really deserved. Residents there are called "315-ers" after the area code there.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Wayne County seems to have somewhat of a "bad rap" in the overal Rochester area, which is probably not really deserved. Residents there are called "315-ers" after the area code there.

having lived in Wayne County I can say it really is a different world from Monroe County. If you don't mind having your neighbors 4 wheelers riding in your yard, snowmobiles in the winter, hunters in the fields behind your house... things are a little more lax over the county line and if you are used to a more reserved neighborhood carefully look at your Wayne County "norms" that people turn a blind eye to.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM

27 posts, read 140,964 times
Default Info on Macedon

I have a grand daughter that goes to Pal Mac schools and lives in Palmyra. I think they have been very happy there because it IS a smaller school. Palmyra is just next to Macedon and is a really pretty little village..prettier than Macedon. Has a cute little downtown with some historic value. Seems to have a lot of good family values as well. PineHollowGal

Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
Palmyra is where the Morman church first started. It is also the only place in the country that has 4 churches on all 4 corners of the road (all different denomonations). It is nicer than Macedon...(Macedon actually has next to nothing for a downtown)..A few old stores, the old Mobile factory and a big empty shopping plaza, that went bust way before Walmart ever moved in up the road.
Palmyra also has it's share of problems..a few years ago there were problems with a number of teens and witchcraft, minor mischief and some graveyard desicration. Also, if you drive over the speed limit by 1 mph, you'll get a ticket!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area