U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,663,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe the guy credited with “inventing” the Spiedie came from Abruzzo in Italy or is a descendant of people from that region that came to the Binghamton area.

So, if I want to experience an authentic Spiedie I need to go to Binghamton?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 AM

63,345 posts, read 88,822,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
As far as the narrative goes, yes, if not Endicott to be more specific: https://whatscookingamerica.net/Hist...es/Spiedie.htm

https://www.spiedies.com/about_us.php

With that said, I’ve had them from a local place in Syracuse that’s pretty good(Uncle Chubby’s).

Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 PM

27,580 posts, read 26,942,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm from NYC and have never eaten any of that, I dont even know what the majority of stuff on that list is.

Somebody should open up something. Food is one thing that gets over boundaries.
I feel bad for you. Thoughts and prayers, man.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:35 PM

27,580 posts, read 26,942,895 times
Quote:
Depends. How do you feel about eating garbage plates in Schenectady?

Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,030,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm from NYC and have never eaten any of that, I dont even know what the majority of stuff on that list is.

Somebody should open up something. Food is one thing that gets over boundaries.
This is Binging with Babish demonstrating how to make the Garbage Plate. This is a very Rochester meal he shows. The Garbage Plate with Zweigles white hots and a Genny Beer.

In Rochester many local restaurants call themselves "hots" and serve their own take on the Garbage Plate which they'll call a "plate". Zweigles is a Rochester company that creates "white hots" and "red hots".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjoeVwJTUTA

Old 11-05-2018, 07:40 PM

200 posts, read 47,478 times
If you're trying it for the first time, the only acceptable plate to try is 2 cheeseburgers/mac salad/french fries/everything (hot sauce (which means something different in Rochester)/mustard/onions.)

The white hot plates can be good, you can experiment with swapping out the french fries for something else, but to me this is the "flagship" plate that should be tried first.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
This is Binging with Babish demonstrating how to make the Garbage Plate. This is a very Rochester meal he shows. The Garbage Plate with Zweigles white hots and a Genny Beer.

In Rochester many local restaurants call themselves "hots" and serve their own take on the Garbage Plate which they'll call a "plate". Zweigles is a Rochester company that creates "white hots" and "red hots".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjoeVwJTUTA

They forgot to put onions on the final topping. Also. I NEVER put catsup on mine. When you order "everything" on it, that means Nancy's Mustard, onions and hot sauce only. I believe the original used cold Gramma Brown beans, but most people get the Mac salad. Always home fries, not French fries. A couple of slices of sour dough bread and butter. BTW, Nancy's Mustard is originally from Rochester too. We even have a Mustard St. where their headquarters were. Enjoy

If you are making this at home and don't have the time to make the hot sauce, I've found "Coach Tony's" hot sauce to be the closest, although there may be others

Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 10,564 times
Quote:
They forgot to put onions on the final topping. Also. I NEVER put catsup on mine. When you order "everything" on it, that means Nancy's Mustard, onions and hot sauce only. I believe the original used cold Gramma Brown beans, but most people get the Mac salad. Always home fries, not French fries. A couple of slices of sour dough bread and butter. BTW, Nancy's Mustard is originally from Rochester too. We even have a Mustard St. where their headquarters were. Enjoy

If you are making this at home and don't have the time to make the hot sauce, I've found "Coach Tony's" hot sauce to be the closest, although there may be others
I think you meant French's mustard.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
I think you meant French's mustard.

Oops. yes, you are correct

Old 11-07-2018, 07:47 AM

380 posts, read 272,767 times
Quote:
They forgot to put onions on the final topping. Also. I NEVER put catsup on mine. When you order "everything" on it, that means Nancy's Mustard, onions and hot sauce only.
You are correct, "everything" has never included ketchup anywhere I've been, even though personally I always put it on along with Frank's Red Hot if it's around. Mustard, hot sauce, onions is the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or