Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:01 PM

307 posts, read 118,805 times

Advertisements

She was asked in last night's Attorney General debate if she had ever eaten a garbage plate. She looked like a deer in the headlights and clearly didn't know what a garbage plate is.

Why would she? She has made no effort to even pay lip service to upstate issues. She knows she can win the election without receiving a single vote upstate. After all, she won the primary that way:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...elections.html

Counties in green voted for her. They are: Suffolk, Nassau, Queens, Kings (Brooklyn), Richmond (Staten Island), New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Westchester, and Rockland. She won 9 of 62 counties statewide and that was enough to get the nomination. She came in third in every. single. county. upstate.

Welcome to the future of state government. NYC doing whatever it wants and upstate not having a voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 PM

93,341 posts, read 123,972,828 times
My question is did Upstate actually support the Democratic nominees from Upstate running for AG?

Ironically, Republican nominee is originally from Upstate as well. So, I’m curious if that would be a factor come Nov. 6th.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I am kind of curious about how well different parts of New York know about each other's dishes.

Garbage plate?
White hots?
Utica greens?
Chicken riggies?
Salt potatoes?
Beef on weck?
Knish?
Chopped cheese?
Lobster Newburg?
Michigans?
Roast pork on garlic bread?
Spiedies?

How common is it for people throughout New York state to know all the regional dishes of other parts of New York? How far does all of this travel? I reckon the one food that's travelled the furthest, not just through the state, but the country and still directly ties to its place of origin is probably Buffalo wings, no?

Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM

307 posts, read 118,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My question is did Upstate actually support the Democratic nominees from Upstate running for AG?

Ironically, Republican nominee is originally from Upstate as well. So, I’m curious if that would be a factor come Nov. 6th.
She came in third in every county upstate in the primary. Eric Schneiderman, who resigned, also did not win a single county upstate during his primary. Upstate keeps letting NYC choose and those politicians keep resigning in scandal.

Leecia Eve was the only candidate on the Dem side with upstate ties and she came in a distant fourth statewide.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:49 AM

Wofford, just like Eve, is a Buffalo native and he may appeal more to Upstate folks. So, there is still an option for people in Upstate to consider.

NY AG Debate: Letitia James vs. Keith Wofford

More on the thread topic: Garbage Plate-Gate in Attorney General Debate

Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM

384 posts, read 356,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I am kind of curious about how well different parts of New York know about each other's dishes.

How common is it for people throughout New York state to know all the regional dishes of other parts of New York? How far does all of this travel? I reckon the one food that's travelled the furthest, not just through the state, but the country and still directly ties to its place of origin is probably Buffalo wings, no?
Interesting question, here's my list.

I know of:

Garbage plate
White hots
Utica greens
Chicken riggies
Salt potatoes
Beef on weck
Spiedies

I do not know:

Knish
Chopped cheese
Lobster Newburg
Michigans
Roast pork on garlic bread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Somehow forgot to mention my favorite of all of these: tomato pie!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:34 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Interesting question, here's my list.

I know of:

Garbage plate
White hots
Utica greens
Chicken riggies
Salt potatoes
Beef on weck
Spiedies

I do not know:

Knish
Chopped cheese
Lobster Newburg
Michigans
Roast pork on garlic bread

I'm with you Uncle Ben, except I knew Spiedies are on many street corners in NYC, I thought they were Greek.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm with you Uncle Ben, except I knew Spiedies are on many street corners in NYC, I thought they were Greek.
There are skewer meat in sandwiches from carts on NYC street corners, but they aren't called spiedies in New York City and they're somewhat different from those of Central New York.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I believe the guy credited with “inventing” the Spiedie came from Abruzzo in Italy or is a descendant of people from that region that came to the Binghamton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area