Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

Hi New York, My family and I are considering moving to either just outside of Rochester or just outside of Boston. My car insurance was actually fairly low when we lived in Ma. a few years ago, around $80 a month. What would the average insurance cost for a 2000 jeep with over 100k miles and....is there a tick and mosquito problem in the Rochester area...especially concerning dogs? Also, how involved is registering a vehicle in the Pittsford area,costs? Just wanted to hear personal experience first before professional calls are made. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 01:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I can tell you one thing..... Rochester will be a WHOLE lot more affordable than Boston. I haven't lived in NY is almost 12 years now (planning on moving back in the near future though), so I am not sure about car insurance now. But I can tell you this; the most expensive town in the Rochester area, and all of NY State NW of Rockland and Putnam Counties as a matter of fact; is Pittsford. The median house price in Pittsford is $220,000. If you are looking for the more affordable of the two areas.... Rochester wins by a landslide. The job market is going to be better in Boston of course, but that is your call. I was born and raised in Rochester and look very forward to coming back for good soon.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:44 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Thank you for answering. It's funny when people say how expensive NY state is and that the median home price is $220k because we live in California where a condo across from us is asking $750k! We are talking 1400 sq.ft. 3+2 w/a patio and two car garage. I think the median home price here is $700,000 and a rental for a 2+2 apt./condo is over $2000 so you can imagine how big my eyes got when I saw the price for homes in the Pittford area!! I have read so many threads about families wanting to move back to Rochester. That's a great sign.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Yes, Rochester is definitely a very family friendly area. I think it is because it has such a strong sense of community. It's very tight knit. the Metropolitan area has a population of over 1million; but in many ways it feels like a small town. It's also one of the few metros in America where chains haven't completey taken over. Local establishments are much more popular and give the area a unique feel. The most famous of which you will see, is Wegmans (which now has locations all over the northeast; but was founded in and headquartered in Rochester). NOBODY disses Wegmans; nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area