Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

My year in Honeoye Falls is up April 1 and I need to get busy working on my next move.

I'd love to go towards Henrietta, Fairport or Pittsford but I doubt it will happen bc I don't have enough seniority and the Rochester workers who can't get into Rochester directly take the suburbs so essentially anything in Monroe County and Victor are going to be too difficult.

The few options I'm leaning towards based on feedback are
Newark
Canandaigua
Shortsville
Livonia
Lima
Dansville
Farmington

I listed them based on the likelihood I can get in, not by the places I want to live. I currently live down the street from work and I doubt I'll be that lucky again, being as close as possible is important. So even though I can get into Newark, I would not want to live in Newark. No offense, but whenever I go there for training, the town seems sketchy and depressing.

Canandaigua seems like a good compromise. Things to do, decent housing, close to victor malls and not too far from Henrietta.

Shortsville has a great work location but I'm not sure where you live since I've been unable to find any rental listings.

Livonia and Lima are nearby so I'm sure I could find a place or just stay here if I chose Lima. I feel like Livonia is too far for comfort in winter but maybe some snow tires would make it easier.

Dansville might be too country and the shopping and restaurants in Geneseo don't seem to compare to Henrietta or Victor but maybe I'm missing something

Farmington would be great but it's the hardest to get of my list.

Any information that is helpful? Please keep in mind that I don't want to drive far. 5 miles is my ideal limit. Also, I am eventually planning to buy a house and keep for 15ish years so getting a house in a town that will be more difficult to sell down the road is a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 PM

61 posts, read 50,785 times
It depends on what kind of work you do. If you do something that pays top dollar you might want to live in Farmington, very competitive housing and people coming and going annually so you could buy a house and still be in a town enviornment, plus you'd be in either Victor or Canandaigua school districts so if you have kids they could go to a school that offers the same activities as a Monroe County school district would. If you make minimum wage or a salary wage, then Shortsville (Red Jacket) is a good place to go to. Be note that you are in the Town of Manchester which has a fantastic highway department, much better than the one my husband and I pay taxes to here in Greece. You'd also be about halfway between Canandaigua and Newark, and driving distance from Henrietta since (based on your statement) appear to be shopping destinations for you. You'd also be close to Macedon as well.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A14626mom View Post
It depends on what kind of work you do. If you do something that pays top dollar you might want to live in Farmington, very competitive housing and people coming and going annually so you could buy a house and still be in a town enviornment, plus you'd be in either Victor or Canandaigua school districts so if you have kids they could go to a school that offers the same activities as a Monroe County school district would. If you make minimum wage or a salary wage, then Shortsville (Red Jacket) is a good place to go to. Be note that you are in the Town of Manchester which has a fantastic highway department, much better than the one my husband and I pay taxes to here in Greece. You'd also be about halfway between Canandaigua and Newark, and driving distance from Henrietta since (based on your statement) appear to be shopping destinations for you. You'd also be close to Macedon as well.
I work for the state. No kids. I'd be buying with my dad so we'd have 110k income but I do OT and I can earn 10-20k+ more per year if I want.

My dad is retired so I don't want to be too isolated and he has few options to socialize. I also don't want neighbors on top of me. A little distance from the neighbors is good, I can see their homes but I don't hear things unless a party is going on.

He's very friendly and everyone likes him but he's a proud Puerto Rican so I don't want to be in a town that makes him feel unwanted.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Rush or Scottsville? Both are close to shopping in Henrietta and would offer more room in terms of properties.

Ironically, out of the places you listed, Newark has a visible Puerto Rican community. There are solid/nice areas of the village/area(town of Arcadia). So, it could come down to the neighborhood.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Rush or Scottsville? Both are close to shopping in Henrietta and would offer more room in terms of properties.

Ironically, out of the places you listed, Newark has a visible Puerto Rican community. There are solid/nice areas of the village/area(town of Arcadia). So, it could come down to the neighborhood.
Those towns are too far from the possible work locations. I'm not willing to drive. I've already seen 2 coworkers who are lifetime residents wreck their cars and it hasn't even been really bad weather yet. 5 miles is my absolute limit and 2 is my ideal.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Those towns are too far from the possible work locations. I'm not willing to drive. I've already seen 2 coworkers who are lifetime residents wreck their cars and it hasn't even been really bad weather yet. 5 miles is my absolute limit and 2 is my ideal.
What is your work location, if you don’t mind me asking?

Also, just to add, it looks like Newark’s crime rate is below average to average: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is your work location, if you don’t mind me asking?

Also, just to add, it looks like Newark’s crime rate is below average to average: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html
I don't know, yet. The most likely options are in the first post, rated by ease of getting into.

I'm currently in Honeoye Falls but it's only a year guaranteed location (which I wasn't informed of before moving). I'm trying to get in somewhere on my own otherwise they could send me anywhere in the agency and I'd rather pick my own house then risk getting sent to the southern tier or a terrible house.

Idc what the stats are in Newark. I've been there numerous times and it's dirty, depressing and trashy. I don't like the vibe at all.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't know, yet. The most likely options are in the first post, rated by ease of getting into.

I'm currently in Honeoye Falls but it's only a year guaranteed location (which I wasn't informed of before moving). I'm trying to get in somewhere on my own otherwise they could send me anywhere in the agency and I'd rather pick my own house then risk getting sent to the southern tier or a terrible house.

Idc what the stats are in Newark. I've been there numerous times and it's dirty, depressing and trashy. I don't like the vibe at all.
In that case, I would just look into the others on that list and perhaps a place like Geneseo or the Palmyra-Macedon area. That way, you can decide for yourself which of those places you could see which place fits what you are looking for.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Having grown up in Canandaigua, I highly recommend the area. A vibrant Main St, close proximity to Eastview Mall, access to the lake and Roseland Waterpark. If you are into winter sports or think you may some day, it's only about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Bristol Mt. So that would be my top choice.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Having grown up in Canandaigua, I highly recommend the area. A vibrant Main St, close proximity to Eastview Mall, access to the lake and Roseland Waterpark. If you are into winter sports or think you may some day, it's only about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Bristol Mt. So that would be my top choice.
Canandaigua is my first choice and where I originally wanted to go from the beginning but these yahoos put me in HF without telling me it was only for a year. Since it's Monroe and desirable they only guarantee it for a year. If they would have explained, I would have gone to Canandaigua from the start since Ontario isn't as competitive outside victor.

I moved up here for the job and it's so annoying to have to move again, unless I went to Lima. But HF is boring enough, I want to be in a less quiet town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area