U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM

772 posts, read 656,976 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on the Rochester area the past few days. I saw this helpful map to Roc neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...049999997&z=11

Is this much of the city really dangerous to live in? On google streetview a lot of these red areas look decent. What it seems like is the commercial districts are rundown but the residential streets look fine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,073,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I've been reading up on the Rochester area the past few days. I saw this helpful map to Roc neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...049999997&z=11

Is this much of the city really dangerous to live in? On google streetview a lot of these red areas look decent. What it seems like is the commercial districts are rundown but the residential streets look fine
Going by this map I wouldn’t say it’s “half” the city. But even the red areas has some nice pockets within them. So to answer your question I would say no.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 PM

155 posts, read 139,614 times
The real question is...................... how many of these areas would you walk in at 11 o'clock at night by yourself ???

Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,489,316 times
this is so sad to me.

Kodak was one of my customers.
i enjoyed every trip to Rochester.
took my wife twice, and she liked it, too.
but, Kodak, and Rochester failed to adapt.
and now, this is what is left.
half of a once wonderful city.
i have no answers, only fond memories.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,029,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
this is so sad to me.

Kodak was one of my customers.
i enjoyed every trip to Rochester.
took my wife twice, and she liked it, too.
but, Kodak, and Rochester failed to adapt.
and now, this is what is left.
half of a once wonderful city.
i have no answers, only fond memories.
What makes you think Rochester hasn't adapted? The economy here is far more diverse than in the Kodak days. The unemployment rate in the metro is 3.8% as compared to the national average of 3.9%. So the economy is doing good here contrary to popular myth.

Second, that map is not accurate. There are a number of perfectly safe areas that are in the "red". But the areas that are legitimately in the red have never been "wonderful". Those are the areas that poor immigrants moved to when they moved to the United States. They were historically poor Italian and German areas of the city. So while the demographic has changed in those areas, they are still the same historically poor areas. Even during the Kodak days they were the "bad" parts of the city.

On the other hand, the city is really having a renaissance. The downtown tech/innovation center has grown to 175 companies. Up from even 100 in 2015.

Quote:
...are the companies driving growth downtown and creating opportunities for young workers. With the announcement this week that Boston-based Catalant plans to open a software engineering office in Sibley Square in February, the company count reached 175.

"It starts to snowball, and that’s what's occurring," said Heidi Zimmer-Meyer, president of Rochester Downtown Development Corp., referring to how a cluster of like-minded companies can start to play off one another.

Van Voorhis said the move downtown was deliberate.

"I really wanted our team to be part of more creative collisions and to be part of the revival downtown," she said. "Rochester has a fabulous creative class. You don't get to connect with that being in a suburban office park."
https://www.democratandchronicle.com...me/2595499002/

Hundreds of millions of dollars being pumped into development. Including really exciting projects like the "Neighborhood of Play".
Neighborhood of Play |

The world renowned Jazz Fest also attracts hundreds of thousands during the festival.
https://www.rochesterjazz.com/

So I personally believe the city is more wonderful than in the Kodak days.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,119,615 times
Idk, I feel like it really depends on your race. I work with a lot of black people and ALL of them have been victims of violence in the city. One girl is only 22 and got jumped by 2 guys when she was walking to MCC. Another guy got mugged on Monroe Ave and then threw him on the ground and busted 2 of his teeth and the insurance won't fix them.

No one I work with is a gangster so it's not like they are involved with trouble, but even they say that black people aren't safe in Rochester. I don't understand this city, especially coming from the NYC metro. NYC feels so much safer, even in the Bronx.

I have a client and I have to take them to visit family members on avenue D and that place is straight hood but I don't think they'd ever mess with me but I bet they'd mess with my black coworkers.

The suburbs are awesome, though.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM

63,304 posts, read 88,796,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Idk, I feel like it really depends on your race. I work with a lot of black people and ALL of them have been victims of violence in the city. One girl is only 22 and got jumped by 2 guys when she was walking to MCC. Another guy got mugged on Monroe Ave and then threw him on the ground and busted 2 of his teeth and the insurance won't fix them.

No one I work with is a gangster so it's not like they are involved with trouble, but even they say that black people aren't safe in Rochester. I don't understand this city, especially coming from the NYC metro. NYC feels so much safer, even in the Bronx.

I have a client and I have to take them to visit family members on avenue D and that place is straight hood but I don't think they'd ever mess with me but I bet they'd mess with my black coworkers.

Even then, I don’t think that most black people in Rochester have been victims of violent crime. Even if the rate is higher, most likely haven’t. This is a group that is a good 90,000 within the city, give or take.

Most of it is likely based upon lifestyle/associations, not strictly race.

Not all black people in Rochester live in “the hood”, though neighborhood could be another factor. Just saying that for clarification, not that you said that.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-27-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

Black on Black violence is far from being a unique phenomenon in Rochester. But as far as Monroe Ave, I've lived right there and know quite a few people and none of them including myself have been a victim of violence.

Also I don't know the demographic of the people you work with, or what you'd define as "gangster" or why you'd be giving somebody a ride there, but Ave. D is quite literally one of the worst if not the worst street in the city. It's hardly a valid comparison of what is or isn't safe.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM

855 posts, read 354,519 times
I left Rochester and one thing I didn't like was the "two Rochesters" The divide between middle class (white) and extremely poor (black). One minute you're in a trendy neighborhood surrounded by middle class white hipsters, then you're in a bad neighbourhood, one which has probably suffered from generations of poverty. Unsafe though? I seldom really felt threatened in most places, but then I kept to myself and didn't go wandering around at night

Old 01-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I left Rochester and one thing I didn't like was the "two Rochesters" The divide between middle class (white) and extremely poor (black). One minute you're in a trendy neighborhood surrounded by middle class white hipsters, then you're in a bad neighbourhood, one which has probably suffered from generations of poverty. Unsafe though? I seldom really felt threatened in most places, but then I kept to myself and didn't go wandering around at night
As I mentioned earlier, this isn't unique to Rochester and far more complex than just two Rochesters. To be honest, it's not even about generations of poor Black citizens. Rochester has one of the highest concentrations of Italians of any city. The Italian and German immigrants are about 2 generations ago. These immigrants were very poor and settled into the parts of the city that are also today very poor. It was just a demographic shift from the poor Italians who over a few generations their children became wealthier and moved to the suburbs to what is now a majority Black in those exact same houses and neighborhoods. The fact that they were previously poor most likely made them affordable to those who moved in over the last generation.

To give you perspective, the poor Italian immigrants even changed their names to more American names in order to assimilate, because when they first came here, they couldn't find jobs and nobody would hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or