U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 AM
 
Location: In the heights
27,535 posts, read 26,910,938 times
Reputation: 14714

Advertisements

When is Rochester going to get a H Mart or a Mitsuwa? Those are way more awesome than Whole Foods. Besides, Rochester definitely has Wegman's which is better than Whole Foods in a lot of ways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 PM
 
2,310 posts, read 1,660,474 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When is Rochester going to get a H Mart or a Mitsuwa? Those are way more awesome than Whole Foods. Besides, Rochester definitely has Wegman's which is better than Whole Foods in a lot of ways.

There are already quite a few Asian food stores in Rochester in addition to every Wegmans.


https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ochester%2C+NY
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM
 
Location: In the heights
27,535 posts, read 26,910,938 times
Reputation: 14714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There are already quite a few Asian food stores in Rochester in addition to every Wegmans.


https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ochester%2C+NY
I get that, but I still think a H-Mart or Mitsuwa which are all usually quite large and with a fantastic food court to be better than a Whole Foods.

A H-Mart in downtown Rochester would call for high-fives all around, I think. An urban H-Mart in a mixed-use building downtown would probably cause me to slap your palm so hard, I'd rub some skin off and then we'd have to buy some calamine lotion and hope you don't sue me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM
 
149 posts, read 46,261 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When is Rochester going to get a H Mart or a Mitsuwa? Those are way more awesome than Whole Foods. Besides, Rochester definitely has Wegman's which is better than Whole Foods in a lot of ways.
I'm never heard of H Mart or Mitsuwa

So I googled them

H Mart a Korean Supermarket Chain might not be a good idea for Rochester since it has spicy foods and may bring a lot of unwanted attention to Rochester.

Mitsuwa a Japanese Supermarket Chain with a selection of pastries and meats that would compete with Wegman's would certainly give Rochester something to smile about and I would not be opposed to them coming here.

Whole Foods, however is going to come here whether we like it or not. Mitsuwa might come here to! Thanks for introducing me to the idea of Mitsuwa that actually looks like nice Japanese food!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 04:52 PM
 
63,269 posts, read 88,759,572 times
Reputation: 13818
State passes environmental review of proposed Brighton Whole Foods: https://www.innovationtrail.org/post...on-whole-foods
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2019, 11:24 AM
 
2,310 posts, read 1,660,474 times
Reputation: 2947
Build the darn thing already. It's a grocery store. When people protest about building a distributorship of food, how can we possibly build office buildings and factories? Too much NIMBY in Rochester
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 03:01 PM
 
Location: western NY
1,087 posts, read 234,264 times
Reputation: 1732
Just my $0.02 worth.....In all honesty, I do not believe in the "Wegmans' anti- Whole Foods conspiracy". Wegmans is FAR too large to worry about a smaller grocery store, just up the street. They've certainly dealt with similar conditions, for decades.


What I truly see, is a potentially serious traffic congestion problem. For MANY years, Clover Lanes, a bowling center, was the prime occupant of the tract of land that the Whole Foods store is going to occupy. Bowling is no longer anywhere near as popular a sport, as it once was, and Clover Lanes was a victim of this trend. However, in decades gone by, I bowled regularly, in a couple of leagues at Clover. While the bowling facility DID draw a lot of vehicular traffic, it was both very cyclical, as well as primarily concentrated in the evening hours, which were off-peak, from the daily rush hour.


I suspect, that if Whole Foods is anywhere near successful, it will indeed create a lot more traffic attempting to turn in and out of that location, all day long, compared to the traffic that the bowling center ever created. I can understand the concerns raised by the area's current businesses and residents. Wegmans' concerns many not be direct competition from Whole Foods, rather than a loss of business at their Pittsford store, because people will simply say, "Screw it, I'm not driving into that boondoggle of traffic".....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
10,496 posts, read 10,941,183 times
Reputation: 9968
I don't understand the fear about Whole Foods we have them along with Wegmans, Kroger, Publix, Trader Joes and a few others its just another shopping choice. The last time I saw push back like this was several decades ago in Burlington Vermont where the local hippies wanted a Cooperative Store that emphasized and sold local manufactured goods all the normal people wanted a regular Supermarket that sold $.99 loafs of bread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 PM
 
2,310 posts, read 1,660,474 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Just my $0.02 worth.....In all honesty, I do not believe in the "Wegmans' anti- Whole Foods conspiracy". Wegmans is FAR too large to worry about a smaller grocery store, just up the street. They've certainly dealt with similar conditions, for decades.


What I truly see, is a potentially serious traffic congestion problem. For MANY years, Clover Lanes, a bowling center, was the prime occupant of the tract of land that the Whole Foods store is going to occupy. Bowling is no longer anywhere near as popular a sport, as it once was, and Clover Lanes was a victim of this trend. However, in decades gone by, I bowled regularly, in a couple of leagues at Clover. While the bowling facility DID draw a lot of vehicular traffic, it was both very cyclical, as well as primarily concentrated in the evening hours, which were off-peak, from the daily rush hour.


I suspect, that if Whole Foods is anywhere near successful, it will indeed create a lot more traffic attempting to turn in and out of that location, all day long, compared to the traffic that the bowling center ever created. I can understand the concerns raised by the area's current businesses and residents. Wegmans' concerns many not be direct competition from Whole Foods, rather than a loss of business at their Pittsford store, because people will simply say, "Screw it, I'm not driving into that boondoggle of traffic".....

Clover Lanes didn't just go away. They are now part of the Radio Social complex.


As for the traffic, just fix it. Add a lane, a ramp, or whatever. Just do it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 AM
 
Location: western NY
1,087 posts, read 234,264 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Clover Lanes didn't just go away. They are now part of the Radio Social complex.


As for the traffic, just fix it. Add a lane, a ramp, or whatever. Just do it

With respect to Clover Lanes, I knew that they had become the "Radio Social" place, but I didn't know that they had moved 36 of their bowling lanes to that location. I had initially heard that they had moved 12 lanes to that location, but I looked at their website, yesterday, and read that they have a "backroom", with 24 lanes, giving them a total of 36 lanes. I believe their original location had 48 lanes, however. Therefore, I initially thought that they had significantly downsized their operation. My mistake.


Widening Monroe Avenue, as you suggest, I doubt could happen. That is one of the oldest roadways in the area, being a part of the NYS Route 31, feeding into downtown Rochester. It's been 4 lanes for as long as I've lived in the Rochester area (61 years), and has been a mecca for various businesses. These businesses were originally constructed rather close to the street, as was customary in the past, and along the way, a center turning lane was added, as well as right turn lanes in a couple of places, not to mention the bridges that carry I590 over Monroe Ave. So, where is there room to "add a lane"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top