Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 01:31 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times

Advertisements

I found this to very interesting:

BRIGHTON, N.Y. (WROC) —The early stages of building are underway at the site of a planned Whole Foods store in Brighton on Monroe Avenue.

“We’re excited to finally move forward,” Dan Daniele, whose company is behind the project, told News 8.

Daniele said the project is a few weeks in, and could be completed within 9 months.

“The project has received all of the municipal approvals necessary to begin construction,” said Daniele. “Although it took us six years to get here, we’re finally here.”

The project is, however, still tied up in lawsuits. Brighton Grassroots, a group which has received support and funding from Wegmans, is behind the suits. Howie Jacobson with Brighton Grassroots shared a statement with News 8:

“The developers of the Oversized Plaza are doing site work and some foundation work and are building at their own risk. The opposition lawsuits against the Town’s special deal handling of this oversized, massive traffic generating plaza will be settled someday by the Courts. Brighton Town residents know all the special deals given are just wrong!”

— Howie Jacobson, Brighton Grassroots

Wegmans did not comment on construction beginning at the site.

“The process is going to be long and arduous, I’m sure they’re going to continue to appeal additional lawsuits as they go forward,” said Daniele, “But we’ll get to the end.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 04:41 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Looks like they're bent on moving forward. I was down Monroe Ave recently, for the first time in a while. I see that they tore down Mamasans.....

Old 12-03-2020, 12:03 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Looks like they're bent on moving forward. I was down Monroe Ave recently, for the first time in a while. I see that they tore down Mamasans.....

Starting to build on the site.

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...W0HjmlWII23dmE

Old 12-04-2020, 05:54 AM

Personally, I think the efforts of Wegmans to block the Whole Foods store is rather childish, as we know that Wegmans will eventually "steam roll" them, over time. I do, however, fully understand the idea of blocking the new store on the idea that it will, at least initially, create traffic issues. And I don't agree with the authorities that say a traffic light, or two, will make everything "all right". That section of Monroe Avenue is already a mess, traffic wise.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think the efforts of Wegmans to block the Whole Foods store is rather childish, as we know that Wegmans will eventually "steam roll" them, over time. I do, however, fully understand the idea of blocking the new store on the idea that it will, at least initially, create traffic issues. And I don't agree with the authorities that say a traffic light, or two, will make everything "all right". That section of Monroe Avenue is already a mess, traffic wise.

It makes no sense. Monroe ave is only 2 lanes wide. Add another through lane. Larger cities do this stuff all the time. The convergence of 2 or more major roads is where larger development happens. I think it should be larger with 5 stories of housing above.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It makes no sense. Monroe Ave is only 2 lanes wide. Add another through lane. Larger cities do this stuff all the time. The convergence of 2 or more major roads is where larger development happens. I think it should be larger with 5 stories of housing above.
Where are you going to find the "real estate", to add 2 more lanes (1 in each direction) to Monroe Avenue? The 590 bridge pillars, which support the roadway over Monroe, are pretty much a "choke point", and even if you could work that out, there are still a number of businesses in that area that are practically out to the street, right now. If I recall correctly, Monroe Avenue, in that area, was already widened about 20 -25 years ago.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Where are you going to find the "real estate", to add 2 more lanes (1 in each direction) to Monroe Avenue? The 590 bridge pillars, which support the roadway over Monroe, are pretty much a "choke point", and even if you could work that out, there are still a number of businesses in that area that are practically out to the street, right now. If I recall correctly, Monroe Avenue, in that area, was already widened about 20 -25 years ago.

I just took a peek on street view. There IS room to not only ad those lanes, but if they put a vertical face on the bridge abutment, instead of 45 degree, there would be room for more on the other side of the pillars. I think more importantly, it appears the bridge is in need of a major replacement. I'm hoping that's in the budget somewhere. Sorry, I don't know how to take a sceenshot.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I just took a peek on street view. There IS room to not only ad those lanes, but if they put a vertical face on the bridge abutment, instead of 45 degree, there would be room for more on the other side of the pillars. I think more importantly, it appears the bridge is in need of a major replacement. I'm hoping that's in the budget somewhere. Sorry, I don't know how to take a sceenshot.
That might be possible, but then the question becomes either "how practical is it", or "is it worth all the bother"? Monroe Avenue is rather unique, in that is begins in the city, as primarily a 2 lane street, swells into a 4 lane configuration, for about 3-4 miles, and then is constricted back to 2 lanes, as it nears the Village of Pittsford. Personally, I think that configuration, by nature, breeds congestion, and that section of road has reached it's limit, and further "development" will only make a bad situation worse.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
That might be possible, but then the question becomes either "how practical is it", or "is it worth all the bother"? Monroe Avenue is rather unique, in that is begins in the city, as primarily a 2 lane street, swells into a 4 lane configuration, for about 3-4 miles, and then is constricted back to 2 lanes, as it nears the Village of Pittsford. Personally, I think that configuration, by nature, breeds congestion, and that section of road has reached it's limit, and further "development" will only make a bad situation worse.

How about the fact that Monroe Ave, Rt 31, is a very busy commuter route. Some people that may work in the city, but live in Perinton, Macedon, Palmyra or Newark? I believe they still can widen the street through the village. Or, how about a bypass road around the village. I know they are experiencing the same thing in Victor.

Also, as I've said before, why not build some mid rise housing, where many could live and work in that area, and create a walkable village?

Old 12-11-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
How about the fact that Monroe Ave, Rt 31, is a very busy commuter route. Some people that may work in the city, but live in Perinton, Macedon, Palmyra or Newark? I believe they still can widen the street through the village. Or, how about a bypass road around the village. I know they are experiencing the same thing in Victor.

Also, as I've said before, why not build some mid rise housing, where many could live and work in that area, and create a walkable village?
Even though this is a different thread, this discussion seems to be awfully familiar, as if we've been down this path in the past. The way I see it, NOTHING is going to change in Pittsford, the village, that is, because the storefronts are practically out to the curb, as it it. And the bridge over the canal, on Monroe Avenue, is a 2 lane "funnel", which I'm sure would cost $$$$ to replace/renovate, as well as create a MAJOR traffic disruption during the "down time", with little return on investment. Then, at the east end of the village, there's another 2 lane bridge, I believe......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area