Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 08:45 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times

Advertisements

The commercial from Cellino & Barnes goes something like this, "I got hit by a car and they got me 6 million dollars..."

Why I hate this commercial is it totally misrepresents how insurance works. The commercial implies that insurance companies has a limitless supply of money for insurance claims but they are too greedy to give any of it up, but with a good lawyer you get them to pay up.

The most insurance coverage I can personally get for my car is $500,000, so if I hit someone, backup over them and ran over them again, and got sued, and court ordered me to pay 6 million dollars. The most the insurance company would pay out would be 500k, that leaves the victim 5.5 million dollars short of there compensation. Now I don't know about you, but I'll never earn 5 million dollars over the course of my life time, this is a debt I'll never be able to clear. If my wages were court ordered garnished and I continued to work at a good paying job, you might be able to get 1.5 million out of me before I retire. But if you only leaving me with the bare minimum money I need to survive and taking all the rest out of my paycheck every week, this pretty much kills my incentive, why work overtime or work extra hard to get that bonus when it's only going to be taken away from me. I be better off quitting my job and work in a low paying job, or better work yet under the table to avoid garnished wages.

If the vehicle is commercial, you can get up to a million dollar policy, but this is far short of 6 million. The remaining liability would bankrupt most small businesses. You would have to get hit by a UPS or FedEx truck to have any hope of actually collecting that 6 million dollars, or some other larger company with deep pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
When they say they got more than the insurance company will pay, they mean that the individual gets sued for the rest, and C&B get rich.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
When they say they got more than the insurance company will pay, they mean that the individual gets sued for the rest, and C&B get rich.
You missed my point, what "individual" has 5.5 million dollars laying around to settle the award? I highly doubt award was ever settled in full, unless they are leaving out critical facts, like the "car" was a city vehicle, or a driverless vehicle owned by Google, they have deep enough pockets.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Your not the only market with these shyster lawyers making big claims on their commercials....

Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM

186 posts, read 135,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
You missed my point, what "individual" has 5.5 million dollars laying around to settle the award? I highly doubt award was ever settled in full, unless they are leaving out critical facts, like the "car" was a city vehicle, or a driverless vehicle owned by Google, they have deep enough pockets.
I honestly think the commercials are misleading because the insurance company will only pay you if you are seriously injured and are worth millions of dollars which is rare. Also, there is a law firm out of Buffalo and Syracuse areas that I swear they stole their phone number Idea because theirs its 800-888-888 and the other organizations was when I was growing up (and still is I believe) 716-444-4444 and 315-444-4444

Someone mentioned being "hit by a car..." the law firm in Buffalo and SYR say "Hurt in a car..." pretty sure C&B ripped off the other law firm among others I'm sure but since I listen to radio stations in Buffalo and SYR in addition to Rochester I grew up knowing a lot of jingles, etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Ugh, I can't stand those hucksters--or the annoying voices of the women on those ads. Way back when Cellino was suspended for a few months, and a censured Barnes opened "The Barnes Firm," I thought maybe we'd seen the last of them. No such luck.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
I stumbled on this the other day. Try getting this out of your head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFXCsuE1Q2s

Cellino and Barnes remix

Old 04-20-2019, 02:58 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Haha...i hated those commercials too and the "hit by a car, call William Atar" (sp).

Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Keep in mind, whatever the settlement is, the law firm gets about 1/3.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 PM

186 posts, read 135,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Haha...i hated those commercials too and the "hit by a car, call William Atar" (sp).
The name of the law firm I was thinking of in Buffalo and Syracuse is William Mattar. You just confirmed my suspicions about Cellino and Barnes! C&B are corrupt lawyers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area