Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,068 times

Advertisements

I have always been interested in moving to upstate NY. I now may have the opportunity in a year to do so, through my husbands job. He would be transferred specifically to the Farmington area.

How is Farmington? Is it a very family oriented town? What are the surrounding cities like? If you work in Farmington, what other cities can you live in? How is the housing market? Is it possible to stay under $120k or a lot less but still get a nice 3bdrm+ house?

I have tried to look for houses online but come up with little options. What anyone can tell me about the Farmington area would be appreciated.

Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Farmington is in Ontario County, about 30-35 minutes away from downtown Rochester. Ontario County has been ranked as the best rural county to live in America. It has lower taxes than the rest of the region and a very high quality of life. The area is on the brink of rural/suburban. The neighboring town of Victor has gone from being considered a rural area to a full blown suburb in the last several years. If you were going to be working in Farmington you could live anywhere in Northern Ontario County, Eastern Monroe County (Where most of Rochester's suburbs are) or Western Wayne County and have a commute of 30 minutes or less. Farmington itself is very nice but might be more rural than you want if you don't like being in a rural area. It would help to know what types of things you want in a community because there are many towns/areas to choose from.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,905 times
Hi. I moved to Farmington just over a year ago. It's a small, rural area, but starting to grow. There are a wide variety of housing options - everything from apartments to developments to more rural housing. I purchased a 3-bedroom ranch last year for under $120K. There isn't a lot in the town, but 5 minutes away is Victor (as described in the previous post), 10 minutes south is Canandaigua, and it is right on a Thruway exit, which makes it very accessible to just about anywhere. The cost of living here is cheaper than Monroe County. I find the people very friendly. I found my neighborhood welcomed me with open arms.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
I grew up in Eastern Monroe County and did student teaching in Victor. I think you might be able to find a home in East Rochester (in Monroe County) for the price you are looking for and possibly Victor (Ontario County)... if you are do want a rural setting, with wildlife and everwilds/fields and don't mind driving to other places for groceries and shopping, then check out Farmington. But I suggest E.R., Victor, and possibly Canandaigua. It would be difficult to find a home in Eastern Monroe for the price you are looking for. If you are looking into Wayne County- might I suggest Walworth with either Penfield or Gananda Schools. Having lived in Western Wayne County I firmly believe these are the better of your choices. Penfield is located in Monroe County and there are areas of Walworth and Macedon that attend that school district (that is the best option you will find in Wayne County- IMO...) Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area