U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 06:40 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,451,328 times

Advertisements

A lot of this is addressed in my other thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/roche...ter-metro.html

The neighborhood is nice and if I am to go up there, is living with SIL about 75 yds away worth the starter home cost? That’s all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,658,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
^^^^THIS

Non-natives rarely put down permanent stakes in Rochester, even people from other parts of Upstate, NY. I'm going off of personal experience and posts here within the Rochester Area sub-section pf this forum, I've been a member since '08 and have seen several "Rochester boosters" come and go, boosters who were from other places who probably ended up leaving Rochester for the same reasons others leave.

Much of Greece is on a flood plain, town planners and the zoning board greased the skids for developers and builders to build in places in the town that today would be unthinkable, maybe illegal, even. Greece is not the only town where this happened in Rochester, and the same holds for so many other 'burbs across the U.S. But Greece is a large land area, and the creeks there drain into the marshlands, ponds, etc., along the lake shore. Not much "high ground" in the town.

The 'hood I grew up in there is on a flood plain, north of Stoneridge Plaza. I've seen old maps of what it looked like in the 50's, and deeds and property records from that neighborhood going back to roughly the 1850's. It's scary, the neighborhood was a cluster of small family farms with lots of swampland. This is typical of a lot of Greece's post-war housing, they drained many swamps in the town to make way for the 50's, 60's, and 70's-built homes there. The town was literally swamps, orchards, and farmland before the boom years. People shrewd and savvy enough to buy failed orchards and other land cleaned up back in the day, they made millions selling just bare land.

My mom's house, which I wish had been gotten rid of when my parents divorced many years ago, is the lowest one on her street, and backs up to a large school lot. So the drainage in the 'hood pretty much ends up in her yard, underneath and around her house, etc., and the same holds for the neighbors on both sides. The town screwed the ppoch for years about fixing the drain in her backyard, to include unblocking the blockage in the pipe which leads from said drain to a drain in her front yard, which is right by the storm sewer underground.

Why the years to clear the pipe and fix the drain? Corrupt Greece politics, to include the corrupt town DPW. People pay all that money in taxes, only to get shafted by town government over stuff like grains and pipes, which keep peoples' houses from having awful water problems. The police department is another organization which can be a bear to deal with, lots of aggressive police tactics and other means they use to pad their pockets.

In one area of the basement of her house, the part I didn't try to waterproof and make nice in '02 on a week off from work, you can see the stain Hurricane Agnes left in '72. Now I understand this would have been before whatever "improvements" the town made to the storm sewers in succeeding years, but it bears mentioning. Rochester gets a lot of precipitation, some years much more than others, and sometimes the whole Summer can be a washout. When Mom gets 4" of rain in 4 hours in a storm, much of the water underground around the house ends up in her sump, to be pumped out. If the power goes out, now she has water in the basement around the cistern. Water also comes through the holes I drilled in lowest blocks of the foundation, which serve as drains so the water runs into the channel around the slab, and into the weeping tile and then into the cistern.

Good luck trying to put in a semi-finished or finished basement with that stuff going on.

Sometimes people in Greece have to resort to certain measures to keep their homes from getting bad mold and other water/moisture-related issues. Same with parts of Charlotte, parts of Irondequoit, etc.

North Greece is just as bad, if not worse, than my mom's area. Near the lake, with a water table not conducive to certain methods of home construction. I've heard it's common for people to get 6" of water in their basements in that area.

Judging by how people maintain their homes these days, I'd err on the side of caution. Some of these homeowners have at least some means, too. They just don't maintain their properties. A house next door to my mom's still had its original roof tiles in '05 (built in '66), the couple both worked until they retired that year, so they had a solid household income. They never maintained the structure of the house and the yard, though. They tried to get way with selling the house with the original roof, but were called on their nonsense and they ended up paying big bucks to have it done on short notice.

Caveat amptor, and similar to other places I don't trust Rochester realtors, generally.

Far as the economy there is concerned, it's been a bad year in Rochester. Like other recent years, the economy continue to shrink, and over 5,000 people have been laid off there locally.

I wish the OP luck, but like so many others' experiences in Rochester, I'd describe the area as a constant battle for many who live there.

I live right on the lake shore, and it's not even a flood plain. The rest of your rant is pretty off the wall too!!

Old 10-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
A lot of this is addressed in my other thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/roche...ter-metro.html

The neighborhood is nice and if I am to go up there, is living with SIL about 75 yds away worth the starter home cost? That?s all.

I don't think anyone on City-Data can answer that question for you.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:10 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,029,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I live right on the lake shore, and it's not even a flood plain. The rest of your rant is pretty off the wall too!!
His posts about Rochester are frequently pure fiction. I've never heard of widespread flooding issues in Greece nor have I ever heard that "much of it's on a flood plain".

My wife has dozens of family members and close family friends living in Greece so I thought I'd test her on that claim. I asked her if she ever heard that Greece was on a flood plain. Her response was quite literally "What? no I've never heard that before". And she told me that nobody in her family or her friends have ever had flooding.

Howard always knows somebody who knows somebody who has had some bizarre incident that fully fits his personal beliefs and can be applied universally against Rochester regardless of whether its truthful or that it's truly representative.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
His posts about Rochester are frequently pure fiction. I've never heard of widespread flooding issues in Greece nor have I ever heard that "much of it's on a flood plain".

My wife has dozens of family members and close family friends living in Greece so I thought I'd test her on that claim. I asked her if she ever heard that Greece was on a flood plain. Her response was quite literally "What? no I've never heard that before". And she told me that nobody in her family or her friends have ever had flooding.

Howard always knows somebody who knows somebody who has had some bizarre incident that fully fits his personal beliefs and can be applied universally against Rochester regardless of whether its truthful or that it's truly representative.

Well, once upon a time, they say the lake shore used to be at what is now ridge rd. That would make most of Greece in the flood zone, but that was 50,000 years ago. Honestly, there are a few creeks in town leading to the bay and ponds. On occasion, in the spring they will crest, but it's not a big deal, and it's no different than any other creek in the spring

Old 10-28-2019, 06:46 AM

380 posts, read 272,528 times
I have plenty of family and friends that live in Greece, none of them have regular flooding issues so it's kind of funny to read someone claiming how widespread the problem is. Also regarding not being able to build near the lake, my brother is building a house right now on the shore of Lake Ontario and plenty of other houses have been rebuilt in his neighborhood in the past decade or so. Like was said about, most of those claims are pure fiction.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I have plenty of family and friends that live in Greece, none of them have regular flooding issues so it's kind of funny to read someone claiming how widespread the problem is. Also regarding not being able to build near the lake, my brother is building a house right now on the shore of Lake Ontario and plenty of other houses have been rebuilt in his neighborhood in the past decade or so. Like was said about, most of those claims are pure fiction.

Brand new house being built down the street from me. There were 2 brand news homes built last year in the same neighborhood (street)

Old 11-07-2019, 10:41 AM

2,961 posts, read 6,661,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Holy cow! I thought I was a bit negative on Rochester at times. You guys are downright brutal!

I can't believe it, but you force me to defend this place.

Positives:

Easy traffic/commute, albeit with typical Northeast agressive a-hole drivers;

Cheap housing, as a result of people fleeing the area;

It's easy to find a community of friendly but rather boring people;

There are two to three months a year of mostly very pleasant weather;

You get to buy a new car every few years because your current one rusts up to the windows;

… property taxes costing you more than your mortgage.

Having moved to Rochester last year, I like it, it has all the amenities of a big city without the traffic of one. Sure traffic slows down on Rt. 390/490/590 in the morning between 7:15 to 8am, and again for the afternoon commute, but compared to the traffic in the Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore/DC area that lasts all morning and all afternoon, overall traffic isn't bad. As for the aggressive drivers, sure Rochester has them, along with tailgaters, but there seems to be fewer here than where I used to live. I recall seeing a 6 SUV's in a row accident on Rt. 590 this summer, all tailgaters I'll wager.

Housing is Cheaper, but wagers are lower too. If your relocating to the area for a job for your company, generally you keep the same level of wages, so your in a better position financially. Sure i could relocate to a job in DC within my company, but it's not like they are going to double my pay because the Cost of Living is so much higher there.

This Late Spring/ summer / Early fall the weather has been very nice in the Rochester area in 2019. It only was in the 90's one week this summer, high 70's to mid 80's the rest of the summer. Where I relocated from in New Jersey, the weather has been in the 90's most of the summer, 100's even. It was the 2nd hottest summer on record in New Jersey, and 5 of out of 10 hottest years on record were this decade. With global warming, I only see this getting worst. Thus milder winters here and great summers for the future.

Salt on the roads is an issue, but i haven't been here long enough to see negative effects on my car. I think if you take your car to the car wash and get the undercoating, you car will be fine.

As for high property taxes, there are not much better in New jersey, only your have a high mortgage to go along with high property taxes.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:37 PM

Well, the whole thing took a wrong turn. Might as well mix this thread now. Thanks all for the input, if not some of the negativity. Be well, folks.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:09 PM

I guess I can revive this one. Date’s set for June, after our school year ends. Down payment will give us a max of about $150k for a house, renting is kinda out now. Most of our prospects happen to be in the Greece area. I’ve found a couple of houses at around $140k which are acceptable, minimum 3/2, fireplace, good counter space, and around 1500sf.

My renewed question then relates to boundaries. I almost understand the way cities relate to each other. When I bring up google maps and a house in Greece shows a Rochester address, is that because of a USPS designation, or because it’s a subset of Rochester? My research says it’s a subset of Rochester. How does that affect taxes and how does that overlay work politically, etc? Be nice. It’s a foreign system up there and I just want to have a better understanding of how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area