Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,319,694 times
Reputation: 2355

Advertisements

I am definitely partial to matchbox cars making considering I still have dozens of them from my childhood.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1192789388637474817
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2019, 03:23 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,342 posts, read 3,839,403 times
Reputation: 7266
Didn't realize a 'toy hall of fame' existed. The region spanning from Upstate NY to northeast Ohio sure is the national mecca for halls of fame, even given the departure of soccer's for Texas from Oneonta some years back....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 06:58 AM
 
5,530 posts, read 3,988,704 times
Reputation: 4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Didn't realize a 'toy hall of fame' existed. The region spanning from Upstate NY to northeast Ohio sure is the national mecca for halls of fame, even given the departure of soccer's for Texas from Oneonta some years back....


The Strong Museum is one of the best childrens museum in the country. It's also for adults, and they also have the Video Game Hall of Fame which is appropiate as so many gamers are trained at RIT. I also notice the Buffalo childrens museum seems to be copying many aspects of the Strong Museum of Play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,342 posts, read 3,839,403 times
Reputation: 7266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The Strong Museum is one of the best childrens museum in the country. It's also for adults, and they also have the Video Game Hall of Fame which is appropiate as so many gamers are trained at RIT. I also notice the Buffalo childrens museum seems to be copying many aspects of the Strong Museum of Play.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they are/have--I know of the Strong Museum of Play's reputation. 'Explore & More' was originally located in East Aurora before opening at Canalside, as far as I know, but I assume the new downtown location is much larger and could therefore be more of an imitation SMoP.

ETA--just googled Explore & More, and apparently it occupied 6,000 square feet while in EA, while it now occupies 43,000 square feet in downtown Buffalo. So...much more room to potentially imitate the standard-bearer here, heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,319,694 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they are/have--I know of the Strong Museum of Play's reputation. 'Explore & More' was originally located in East Aurora before opening at Canalside, as far as I know, but I assume the new downtown location is much larger and could therefore be more of an imitation SMoP.

ETA--just googled Explore & More, and apparently it occupied 6,000 square feet while in EA, while it now occupies 43,000 square feet in downtown Buffalo. So...much more room to potentially imitate the standard-bearer here, heh.
If you ever get a chance to visit The Strong, specifically the Happiest Hour events are a lot of fun. They are after normal hours, adult only and the entire museum is open.

https://www.museumofplay.org/support.../happiest-hour

As JWRocks mentions, the Video Game Hall of Fame is also at the Strong. And there is an exciting expansion happening right now with a good portion of the expansion targeting Video Games. They are going to have some sort of a walk through video game immersive experience. I can't wait to see what they come up.

https://www.museumofplay.org/expansi...ansion-project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2019, 09:14 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,342 posts, read 3,839,403 times
Reputation: 7266
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
If you ever get a chance to visit The Strong, specifically the Happiest Hour events are a lot of fun. They are after normal hours, adult only and the entire museum is open.

https://www.museumofplay.org/support.../happiest-hour

As JWRocks mentions, the Video Game Hall of Fame is also at the Strong. And there is an exciting expansion happening right now with a good portion of the expansion targeting Video Games. They are going to have some sort of a walk through video game immersive experience. I can't wait to see what they come up.

https://www.museumofplay.org/expansi...ansion-project
Sounds like fun--I'll have to check out the happiest hour sometime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2020, 06:52 AM
 
92,303 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Reputation: 18174
A related segment...

The Strong Announces National Toy Hall of Fame finalists: https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...ame-finalists/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2020, 03:30 PM
 
Location: western NY
6,272 posts, read 3,018,082 times
Reputation: 9901
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I am definitely partial to matchbox cars making considering I still have dozens of them from my childhood.
I, too, had DOZENS of Matchbox cars, trucks, gas stations and fire houses, when I was pretty young. When the "slot car craze" hit my area, when I was about 13-14, I sold the Matchbox collection to finance the slot cars....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2020, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Flahrida
6,286 posts, read 4,800,782 times
Reputation: 7426
I every single series 1 Matchbox toy (75 total) with the steel wheels, original box and my mother gave them away. We used to buy them for $.25 at the United Cigar stores in Toronto. Those were the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2020, 04:32 AM
 
Location: western NY
6,272 posts, read 3,018,082 times
Reputation: 9901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I every single series 1 Matchbox toy (75 total) with the steel wheels, original box and my mother gave them away. We used to buy them for $.25 at the United Cigar stores in Toronto. Those were the days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top