Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to overstate the problem either, nor am I complaining. I've lived in enough states now to say that Rochester has some craziness every now and then. I know the probability is low for certain things, but Rochester is the only place that

1. I've witnessed lightning strikes (and I live in the Tampa Bay Area!)
2. I've been without power for more than a week
3. I've been connected to a Tornado fatality (and I lived in TN during the '98 outbreak!)
4. I've seen the aftermath of microbursts leveling trees (Marsh Road)
5. I've seen hail break car windows
6. The only place I've seen a funnel cloud
7. I've been snowed in (well, Buffalo, also)

I'm not complaining or being hyperbolic. I actually like that Rochester has such a variety of conditions. I'm just pointing out that Rochester is not immune from some things that may surprise newcomers.

Edited, added: Also, last August there was a good 2 week stretch where Rochester was hotter and more humid than Tampa. I only know this because I have cheap friend who never turns on his A/C, and he did then. Again, I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by Muggy; 04-23-2008 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
If you are going to complain that Rochester gets affected by hurricanes once every hundred years or whatever and it breaks a few branches off of treess...you might as well complain that at any moment an asteroid the size of a house could come and whipe the whole place out in 10 seconds. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Again I stated new york gets hurricanes because some one stated that it doesn't. I also stated it is not like the southern states but here is a list of the hurricanes nys. List of New York hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....Oh we do get 70 mph winds that wipe out trees.Look at greece 2 to 3 years ago.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Again I stated new york gets hurricanes because some one stated that it doesn't. I also stated it is not like the southern states but here is a list of the hurricanes nys. List of New York hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....Oh we do get 70 mph winds that wipe out trees.Look at greece 2 to 3 years ago.
I was the one who said we don't get hurricanes... take a close look at that list you provided... Makes sense that NEW YORK CITY would be the main focus of those hurricanes... being on the OCEAN and all... I think WESTERN NY- was listed in the 1800's sometime.... besides that random 1972... RANDOM hurricanes.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I was the one who said we don't get hurricanes... take a close look at that list you provided... Makes sense that NEW YORK CITY would be the main focus of those hurricanes... being on the OCEAN and all... I think WESTERN NY- was listed in the 1800's sometime.... besides that random 1972... RANDOM hurricanes.
August 30, 1988 — Tropical Storm Chris produces moderate rainfall in Upstate New York.[
September 27, 1992 — Tropical Storm Danielle produces light rain in Western New York.[54]
August 28, 1992 — The remnants of Hurricane Andrew produce light rainfall in the western portions of the state.[53]
July 9, 2005 — The remnants of Hurricane Cindy produce moderate rainfall in Upstate New York causing light damage due to flooding and gusty winds, which downed some trees.[75]
August 30, 2005 — The remnants of Hurricane Katrina produce heavy rainfall up to 5 inches (125 mm) of rain in the western portion of the state. High winds also effect the state, with 4,500 people in Buffalo left without power after high winds downed trees and power lines.[76]
October 5, 2005 — Tropical Storm Tammy's remnants contribute to a rainstorm which turns into the Northeast U.S. flooding of October 2005. Up to 13 inches (325 mm) of rain cause severe flooding throughout the Hudson Valley, killing 10 and causing millions of dollars in damage.[77

Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 AM

Back to winter....

Get yourself a good pair of tires and a high quality pair of boots- really insulated and have them weather proofed... Pair that with a WARM lined winter jacket and you should manage.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
August 30, 1988 — Tropical Storm Chris produces moderate rainfall in Upstate New York.[
September 27, 1992 — Tropical Storm Danielle produces light rain in Western New York.[54]
August 28, 1992 — The remnants of Hurricane Andrew produce light rainfall in the western portions of the state.[53]
July 9, 2005 — The remnants of Hurricane Cindy produce moderate rainfall in Upstate New York causing light damage due to flooding and gusty winds, which downed some trees.[75]
August 30, 2005 — The remnants of Hurricane Katrina produce heavy rainfall up to 5 inches (125 mm) of rain in the western portion of the state. High winds also effect the state, with 4,500 people in Buffalo left without power after high winds downed trees and power lines.[76]
October 5, 2005 — Tropical Storm Tammy's remnants contribute to a rainstorm which turns into the Northeast U.S. flooding of October 2005. Up to 13 inches (325 mm) of rain cause severe flooding throughout the Hudson Valley, killing 10 and causing millions of dollars in damage.[77
If this is your reference list, we've had stronger normal thunderstorms and especially winter storms than this. Besides, we are talking actual hurricanes, not the low pressure system that resulted. Highlighted above in your quote.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I'm not trying to overstate the problem either, nor am I complaining. I've lived in enough states now to say that Rochester has some craziness every now and then. I know the probability is low for certain things, but Rochester is the only place that

1. I've witnessed lightning strikes (and I live in the Tampa Bay Area!)
2. I've been without power for more than a week
3. I've been connected to a Tornado fatality (and I lived in TN during the '98 outbreak!)
4. I've seen the aftermath of microbursts leveling trees (Marsh Road)
5. I've seen hail break car windows
6. The only place I've seen a funnel cloud
7. I've been snowed in (well, Buffalo, also)

I'm not complaining or being hyperbolic. I actually like that Rochester has such a variety of conditions. I'm just pointing out that Rochester is not immune from some things that may surprise newcomers.

Edited, added: Also, last August there was a good 2 week stretch where Rochester was hotter and more humid than Tampa. I only know this because I have cheap friend who never turns on his A/C, and he did then. Again, I'm just sayin'...
That is some bad luck! Sorry to hear that. I would bet you could count on one hand the number of people that has witnessed all this in Rochester.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 AM

37 posts, read 129,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Back to winter....

Get yourself a good pair of tires and a high quality pair of boots- really insulated and have them weather proofed... Pair that with a WARM lined winter jacket and you should manage.

A good pair of gloves too...not the kind you pick up at Wegmans when you are checking out, go to a snowmobile dealer.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieW View Post
A good pair of gloves too...not the kind you pick up at Wegmans when you are checking out, go to a snowmobile dealer.
I like the ones that have Thinsulate- my boots have it too... warm and toasty- your best bet for gloves are cotton lined wool gloves- so you get the warmth of the wool but your hands don't itch... also, I get those warming packs that you can put in your shoes or in your gloves. I think Eastern Mt. Sports has them- great for days sledding with the kids... I would bet skiing too- though I don't ski.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM

44 posts, read 178,352 times
well those with mental illness like depression should avoid cold weather and gray skies at all cost . warm weather is overall good for your health .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area