Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,502 times

Advertisements

Rochester is a livable town if you have an established life pattern: Ie:extended family around town, a stable job with no threat of downsizing, a home almost paid off. A boat or cabin you bought when times were booming. What I'm trying to say is: Roch can be a good town to live in if you have enough going on in your life and enough cash to ignore all the bad things here. If you can get away several times during the winter to a warm sunny place, then the bad weather dosen't seem so bad. Otherwise, it is not such a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,604 times
I would rather shoot myself than live in Rochester! The weather is miserable, the property taxes are astronomical. The government in Albany is corrupt and will never change. Half of the calendar year is gray and cold. The summers here are nice, but my best friend in Florida told me we had him beat as far as heat many, many times. The crime rate is 1100 per 100k people. That is terrible due to the size of the ever declining population. Think twice. Florida boy will NOT be happy.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmickys View Post
I would rather shoot myself than live in Rochester! The weather is miserable, the property taxes are astronomical. The government in Albany is corrupt and will never change. Half of the calendar year is gray and cold. The summers here are nice, but my best friend in Florida told me we had him beat as far as heat many, many times. The crime rate is 1100 per 100k people. That is terrible due to the size of the ever declining population. Think twice. Florida boy will NOT be happy.
I have a real novel concept for you. Don't read/post on a Rochester forum if you hate it so much.

I'll just ignore all the other inaccuracies in your post. You simply have made it way too easy.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,604 times
Default Rochester

those crime stats can be verified as can the insanely high property taxes. As far as the weather, it's accurate to say that much of the calendar year is sunless and brutal.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 AM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
those crime stats can be verified as can the insanely high property taxes. As far as the weather, it's accurate to say that much of the calendar year is sunless and brutal.
Actually, Florida, as a state has a higher crime rate and it is more spread out versus select urban neighborhoods in NY State. Schools aren't as good generally and the heat can get ridiculous down there. So, the weather extremes somewhat "even out".

Old 12-07-2011, 02:17 PM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
I would rather shoot myself than live in Rochester
Annoying hyperbole.

The weather is miserable
Purely opinion. Some people love the weather here. I love the summers and I enjoy snow. Many people also enjoy 4 distinctive seasons.

the property taxes are astronomical
True, but housing prices are astronomically low. In the end, Rochester is still an extremely affordable place to live.

The government in Albany is corrupt and will never change
Also true, but not a Rochester fault itself.

The summers here are nice, but my best friend in Florida told me we had him beat as far as heat many, many times.
The only true part of this is the first statement. Rochester summers ARE nice. And, no, the heat is not worse here than Florida. That's a ridiculously absurd statement. Unless you have actually never been to Florida and just have a blind hatred towards Rochester (appears to be the case).

The crime rate is 1100 per 100k people.
Crime is bad in certain undesirable location in the city. Avoid them. Simple. The suburbs are extremely safe as are many areas of the city.

That is terrible due to the size of the ever declining population.
The Rochester metro is gaining population, and always has, albeit slowly.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM

69 posts, read 99,226 times
I'm a junior member here on the forum and I have an opportunity to take a job (if offered) in Rochester. Our history is NY residents (downstate, Hudson Valley) for 20+ years, 10 years in Raleigh, and 3 years in/on the mountains of NC (where there are limited number of lakes). Snow is not an issue (the ole been there, done that routine) and we enjoy the four seasons (Raleigh doesn't give you that but the mtns of NC does). I've done some cost comparisions and Rochester (overall) is more affordable than NC -- and high property taxes is relative based on where you live in NYS. We know; we've lived close to NYC and it can be quite the sticker shock especially when you consider the age of homes. Paying over $1000/mth is getting to be the norm down there - so feel a little fortunate if you aren't close to that number. We would consider renting vs. buying for at least the start of our adventure. Single family house or townhouse will do. Kids are out of the house so school districts aren't important but conveniences and safety are - suburb living is better for us since we have animals. Living near a lake would be nice. Suggestions?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:22 AM

205 posts, read 456,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I would rather shoot myself than live in Rochester
Annoying hyperbole.

The weather is miserable
Purely opinion. Some people love the weather here. I love the summers and I enjoy snow. Many people also enjoy 4 distinctive seasons.

the property taxes are astronomical
True, but housing prices are astronomically low. In the end, Rochester is still an extremely affordable place to live.

The government in Albany is corrupt and will never change
Also true, but not a Rochester fault itself.

The summers here are nice, but my best friend in Florida told me we had him beat as far as heat many, many times.
The only true part of this is the first statement. Rochester summers ARE nice. And, no, the heat is not worse here than Florida. That's a ridiculously absurd statement. Unless you have actually never been to Florida and just have a blind hatred towards Rochester (appears to be the case).

The crime rate is 1100 per 100k people.
Crime is bad in certain undesirable location in the city. Avoid them. Simple. The suburbs are extremely safe as are many areas of the city.

That is terrible due to the size of the ever declining population.
The Rochester metro is gaining population, and always has, albeit slowly.

Very nice Colton. I totally agree... Especially the part about Florida heat... LOL ..... LOL ..... LOL ... LOL ... I just can't stop ... LOL ... LOL ... They can't be serious! ... LOL ... LOL

Also folks, if you are following the crime stats (I mean the numbers themselves), things are improving in Rochester. As is unemployment.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdyGourmet View Post
I'm a junior member here on the forum and I have an opportunity to take a job (if offered) in Rochester. Our history is NY residents (downstate, Hudson Valley) for 20+ years, 10 years in Raleigh, and 3 years in/on the mountains of NC (where there are limited number of lakes). Snow is not an issue (the ole been there, done that routine) and we enjoy the four seasons (Raleigh doesn't give you that but the mtns of NC does). I've done some cost comparisions and Rochester (overall) is more affordable than NC -- and high property taxes is relative based on where you live in NYS. We know; we've lived close to NYC and it can be quite the sticker shock especially when you consider the age of homes. Paying over $1000/mth is getting to be the norm down there - so feel a little fortunate if you aren't close to that number. We would consider renting vs. buying for at least the start of our adventure. Single family house or townhouse will do. Kids are out of the house so school districts aren't important but conveniences and safety are - suburb living is better for us since we have animals. Living near a lake would be nice. Suggestions?
I'd say Webster would be a good choice. Perhaps Irondequoit(near the lake of course), North Greece/Hilton area and maybe even the Charlotte neighborhood in the city of Rochester. Here is some information that could help you in your search: http://www.charlottecca.org/
Neighborhood Guide: Charlotte | Metromix Rochester
Charlotte - Rochester City Living

Village of Hilton NY - Monroe County - Western NY
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Town of Greece, NY

Welcome to the Town of Irondequoit

Webster, NY - Official Website
Village of Webster

Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.
MapsKrieg - Rochester, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale
Search for New York Real Estate

I also can't forget that you could go with a place like Canandaigua, which is still in the metro area, but is in the Finger Lakes Region: Canandaigua, NY*
Town of Canandaigua, New York, USA
Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdyGourmet View Post

We have a bit in common! I also lived in Raleigh for a good chunk of time, from 1994 to 2007. You are correct, in the long run, Rochester is actually more affordable than Raleigh. The go-to "lake" suburb is usually Webster; one of the fastest growing towns in the state, well known for lake-front living etc. However you can actually get more house for your money in other suburbs such as Greece, Irondequoit, Hilton, and if you go a bit further out, Hamlin. All of these towns are very safe and have large lakefront areas. Irondequoit is the most dense/walkable of these but that of course comes with having smaller yards/older housing stock. Hamlin is largely considered "country" with Greece and Hilton being typical suburbia and Webster being a little more upscale. Hamlin will have the lowest property taxes of these towns, the highest would probably be in Greece or Webster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area