Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:11 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,095,453 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing lots of TV adds for chain restaurants that aren't here, nor am I aware of any for hundreds of miles. I wonder if they're testing the waters for potential Franchisees? I've seen Captain D's Seafood, Churches Fried Chicken, Marko's Pizza and Hooters. Churches was here with multiple locations in the 80's and Hooters left a few years ago. Anyone else notice this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 02:55 PM

6,447 posts, read 3,147,095 times
I don't even remember Churches....

Old 03-08-2020, 07:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Seems odd that they would advertise in markets with no franchisees and none of them show stores are coming. What kind of places are moving in to all the shopping centers that people post about? We have all of these and their just 4 out whatever amount that are represented in the various shopping centers.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:16 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
I wouldn’t read too much into it. I remember watching Jack in the Box commercials years ago. The closest location at that time was in North Carolina. To this day they haven’t reached any closer than Cincinnati. Sometimes these chains just make sweeping national buys and hope to penetrate markets they don’t have a presence in to attract new customers when they travel.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Scanning past this discussion made me think of something....I was driving down Empire Blvd, where Penfield and Webster border each other, and noted that A) the Chili's restaurant has now been closed for a couple of months, after not even being open for a year; and B) the Mexican restaurant, "Q-Doba" (not sure of the spelling) also suffered a similar fate.

I'm not familiar with the 'Q-Doba' name, but 'Chili's' is pretty well know, and on Empire, seemed to always have a number of cars in the parking lot.

I was also in Irondequoit, yesterday, and noticed that the 'Arby's', on East Ridge Rd. was closed, joining the one on Creek St., again, on the Penfield/Webster border.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Scanning past this discussion made me think of something....I was driving down Empire Blvd, where Penfield and Webster border each other, and noted that A) the Chili's restaurant has now been closed for a couple of months, after not even being open for a year; and B) the Mexican restaurant, "Q-Doba" (not sure of the spelling) also suffered a similar fate.

I'm not familiar with the 'Q-Doba' name, but 'Chili's' is pretty well know, and on Empire, seemed to always have a number of cars in the parking lot.

I was also in Irondequoit, yesterday, and noticed that the 'Arby's', on East Ridge Rd. was closed, joining the one on Creek St., again, on the Penfield/Webster border.

Qdoba was a little late to the game in Rochester, having literally the same product as Moe's and other's. Plus, they opened 3 stores, all at once for maybe a month, it seemed, and never advertised. There must have been some underlying financial issue with the owner. Mighty Taco came and went too. I think they might have done better if they came 5 years sooner. Also should have located on Ridge Rd. Ironically, Jose Joes is now on Ridgeway Ave, where Might Taco located one of it's stores. I think they'll do better. It's locally owned and they also have burgers. Good food.

As for the Pen-Web area, it's loaded with micro breweries and local restaurants, as well as Applebee's across the street. Where would you rather go?

Old 03-18-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
...........As for the Pen-Web area, it's loaded with micro breweries and local restaurants, as well as Applebee's across the street. Where would you rather go?
My wife and I were happy to see JoJo move into the vacant Prime Steakhouse venue, as it saves us travelling to the Pittsford JoJo, which we did regularly. However, we also miss Prime, as we liked to go there.

The usual restaurants that we also patronize are, in no particular order, 'Signatures at the Humphrey House', 'Grinnell's', 'The Park Ave Pub', 'Monroe's', 'Black & Blue', and 'TRATA'. In the summer, we'll hit 'Hedges', as well as 'Abe's", in Sodus Point, and 'Nolan's', in Canandaigua.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:23 AM

All this talk about restaurants.....amazing how much changed in the last couple of weeks. I sincerely hope that the restaurants I mentioned are able to rebound, once this virus thing gets taken care of.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
All this talk about restaurants.....amazing how much changed in the last couple of weeks. I sincerely hope that the restaurants I mentioned are able to rebound, once this virus thing gets taken care of.

Let's hope. The whole economy is intertwined. It all depends on how business fairs. You need a job first to patronize restaurants, buy a house, buy groceries, cars, etc. The general vibe I'm getting from face... is that people can't wait to get out and prop up the local businesses. I'm feeling optimistic.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:05 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I wouldn’t read too much into it. I remember watching Jack in the Box commercials years ago. The closest location at that time was in North Carolina. To this day they haven’t reached any closer than Cincinnati. Sometimes these chains just make sweeping national buys and hope to penetrate markets they don’t have a presence in to attract new customers when they travel.
Same thing with Sonic--they advertised for probably over a decade with no presence in Buffalo (not sure about Rochester, then or now) before finally opening one location in the Buffalo suburb of Cheektowaga.

Does Rochester have any Checkers locations? Checkers is a bit Sonic-esque in that it'[s basically a drive-in--there's no sit-down restaurant. It's based in Atlanta, I believe, and now has a few locations in the Buffalo area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area