Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 04:16 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times

Advertisements

Just heard on the 5 PM news, today, that Mr. Dominic's, as well as a couple of other restaurants in the Charlotte area, are CLOSING for the 4th of July weekend. Their reasoning is that the area is simply getting "too rough" as the holiday weekend is approaching, and they don't feel the risk to their customers or their workers, is worth any business that they might be able to generate. And this, after just being closed up for the last 3 months.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Just heard on the 5 PM news, today, that Mr. Dominic's, as well as a couple of other restaurants in the Charlotte area, are CLOSING for the 4th of July weekend. Their reasoning is that the area is simply getting "too rough" as the holiday weekend is approaching, and they don't feel the risk to their customers or their workers, is worth any business that they might be able to generate. And this, after just being closed up for the last 3 months.....

Love Mr. D's. People are down there every nite blowing off fireworks, breaking bottles and trashing the place. It's discusting. The city is doing NOTHING about it. They were shooting fireworks at boats too. We are paying for the police. Where are they??

Old 07-03-2020, 01:21 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Love Mr. D's. People are down there every nite blowing off fireworks, breaking bottles and trashing the place. It's discusting. The city is doing NOTHING about it. They were shooting fireworks at boats too. We are paying for the police. Where are they??

The inside info I've heard is the powers that be in city hall want all the property owners on that side of Lake out of there, that's partly what the planned development at the "port of Rochester" was all about.

Tank the property values, then the city goes in and condemns the properties.

This is coming from 4 different property/business owners we know along that strip.

We visited a friend's business in Charlotte in 2013 on a nice Summer night. At about 10PM RPD had to be called about an incident that happened in our friend's parking lot. RPD response time? 28 minutes.

Cop's excuse was "well we're busy tonight down in the city...". So busy that on a typical Summer night in Charlotte, no RPD units are within a 5 minute response time of the strip along Lake???

It gets bad at night down at the pier and over on to Lake Ave. anymore, from what we've been told. Why Rochester put that stupid marina there is anyone's guess, friends of ours who had their boats on the river there for decades now bunk way over in Sodus.

Those businesses along Lake are going to continue to struggle long after the pandemic stuff blows over. But City Hall could care less.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I agree.

My birthday is in late June, so of course, my wife and I go out for dinner, to celebrate. Several years ago, we went to 'Pier 45', which used to be located in the Port of Rochester complex. Although we're both retired, we still sort of live on an "early schedule", due to the early hours that our jobs used to have us operating on. Therefore, we had a 4 PM reservation at the restaurant.

I'm a "car guy", so I don't park our car right on top of the entrance to places we go, and this was no different....sort of. I parked a ways from the building, in what I thought would be a safe spot. We had a leisurely dinned, maybe about 90 minutes, or so. We finish dinner, and head outside to find that our beloved car is now parked in between a brewing argument between 2-3 groups of people.

Luckily, both we, as well as the car, were able to make it out of there in time, while it was just insults that were flying back and forth, and not fists and bottles. It's a shame what has happened to that area. I remember going to that area in the early-mid 70s, as a friend of mine was a member of one of the area's more popular "bar bands", that played at the 'Penny Arcade'. Yeah, there would be a few drunken arguments, but nothing like the commotion that goes on today.........

Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree.

My birthday is in late June, so of course, my wife and I go out for dinner, to celebrate. Several years ago, we went to 'Pier 45', which used to be located in the Port of Rochester complex. Although we're both retired, we still sort of live on an "early schedule", due to the early hours that our jobs used to have us operating on. Therefore, we had a 4 PM reservation at the restaurant.

I'm a "car guy", so I don't park our car right on top of the entrance to places we go, and this was no different....sort of. I parked a ways from the building, in what I thought would be a safe spot. We had a leisurely dinned, maybe about 90 minutes, or so. We finish dinner, and head outside to find that our beloved car is now parked in between a brewing argument between 2-3 groups of people.

Luckily, both we, as well as the car, were able to make it out of there in time, while it was just insults that were flying back and forth, and not fists and bottles. It's a shame what has happened to that area. I remember going to that area in the early-mid 70s, as a friend of mine was a member of one of the area's more popular "bar bands", that played at the 'Penny Arcade'. Yeah, there would be a few drunken arguments, but nothing like the commotion that goes on today.........

I have been going to Charlotte since the seventies. There used to be twice as many bars. There were occasions, such as St Anthony's day where they closed Lake Ave, and the whole area was PACKED with people, and there was never any problems. Charlotte has gone steadily downhill over the years. Now, small groups of thugs have ruined it, and of course with that make it even harder to attract business and JOBS to the area. Very sad

Old 07-04-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I have been going to Charlotte since the seventies. There used to be twice as many bars. There were occasions, such as St Anthony's day where they closed Lake Ave, and the whole area was PACKED with people, and there was never any problems. Charlotte has gone steadily downhill over the years. Now, small groups of thugs have ruined it, and of course with that make it even harder to attract business and JOBS to the area. Very sad
Sad, indeed. And yeah, you really jogged my memory, with the "St. Anthony's Day" comment. That was a real fun time, in Charlotte!!

Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The inside info I've heard is the powers that be in city hall want all the property owners on that side of Lake out of there, that's partly what the planned development at the "port of Rochester" was all about.

Tank the property values, then the city goes in and condemns the properties.

This is coming from 4 different property/business owners we know along that strip.

Why Rochester put that stupid marina there is anyone's guess, friends of ours who had their boats on the river there for decades now bunk way over in Sodus.

Please elaborate about the property owners, as I know very well, that THEY are the ones gobbling it all up.

The marina is a very nice addition to the community and clearly was the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area