Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 08:46 PM

117 posts, read 76,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
I don't trust wikipedia and not familiar with Ben Walsh's party enrollment so I'm not going to look or comment on what party Ben Walsh is actually part of.

What I have looked at are the election archives in Onondaga County. I do see that the Upstate Jobs Party and Independence Party nominated Ben Walsh as their candidate for Syracuse mayor in 2017.

I am actually a member of the Conservative party, and I signed a petition for George Mitris to be our party's candidate for Congress this year. He is technically a Republican so would he be a Republican and Conservative because he appears on both party lines (he has the Republican nomination I believe). NOPE since you are only allowed to be registered with 1 party at a time, but more than 1 party can nominate you as their candidate during any election.
It is interesting, I looked at the wikipedia article and it does say he is from Independence party. But I could've sworn he was a Upstate Job Partier (or whatever you call a member of the UJP.) Perhaps I was wrong about his party enrollment. Only Ben Walsh knows for sure what party he is enrolled in and who knows maybe he has changed his party affiliation through the years because of the enrollment, a lot of third-parties tend to lose members to other third-parties if a message changes, or there is more signatures to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 04:03 PM

186 posts, read 135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
It is interesting, I looked at the wikipedia article and it does say he is from Independence party. But I could've sworn he was a Upstate Job Partier (or whatever you call a member of the UJP.) Perhaps I was wrong about his party enrollment. Only Ben Walsh knows for sure what party he is enrolled in and who knows maybe he has changed his party affiliation through the years because of the enrollment, a lot of third-parties tend to lose members to other third-parties if a message changes, or there is more signatures to be made.
Even the recent news said he was Independent too. I've heard there was a law passed which puts third parties in jeopardy for this year because there are too many statewide, apparently they are relying on getting a certain percentage of their voters to participate in elections (as well as vote for certain candidates on certain lines) in order to keep their statuses. Perhaps the UJP disbanded in fear the Independence Party would lose its status as a third party? Would be interesting to see, and what about all these third parties that are based in neighborhoods like the "Palmyra First" party in Palmyra? Would they lose status too?

Old 11-02-2020, 05:20 PM

117 posts, read 76,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
Even the recent news said he was Independent too. I've heard there was a law passed which puts third parties in jeopardy for this year because there are too many statewide, apparently they are relying on getting a certain percentage of their voters to participate in elections (as well as vote for certain candidates on certain lines) in order to keep their statuses. Perhaps the UJP disbanded in fear the Independence Party would lose its status as a third party? Would be interesting to see, and what about all these third parties that are based in neighborhoods like the "Palmyra First" party in Palmyra? Would they lose status too?
I forgot about the "Palmyra First" party and I'm from the Finger Lakes!

I think you're right I have heard something about a law was passed that requires at least 2% of registered voters in all parties to vote in presidential elections or that party would become invalid and apparently in future elections they must nominate candidates that get a certain amount of votes in the general election in order to remain a party - maybe the BOE has had enough of the growing list of all these parties and eventually we would've run out of Rows for the parties to claim anyways. It surprises me there is that line to write in the party you would like to enroll in if it doesn't participate in primaries or whatever. I guess most of those miscellaneous parties are local to certain parts of the state to begin with and often are intended to back a certain slate of candidates in elections. In my opinion the "Palmyra First" people can join the Conservative party since they always back the Republican nominees. I don't know just a thought - I'm creating a new discussion on this because I think its interesting to have SOOO many third parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area