U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM

10 posts, read 38,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Part of that is because Walgreens refused to use local contractors to build the store, which stymied the construction process. Remember that the next time you decide to give your business to Walgreens. As for Buckman's I distinctly remember being told, right before they sold out to Walgreens, that they were going to move a bit further down Ridge Rd to the Chuck-E-Cheese Plaza, then it was supposed to be the Wal-mart Plaza. But that never happened. They had the best donuts ever though! I remember getting ice cream from them too and they even sold "The Kitchen Sink."

I feel bad for the kids growing up in the post-Buckman's era. They will never know how good those donuts were. Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts, Wegman's, or Tops will never be a proper substitute. There's a reason Krispy Kreme didn't last long. It was no Buckman's.
I haven't been inside of a Walgreens in quite some time. There is one in Gates not far from where I used to live. Bob Bosdyk sold his restaurant on the corner of Long Pond and Spencerport Rd. to Walgreens for $4 million back in 2005. Buckman's never sold out to Walgreens. Ralph DeStephano Jr. still owns the property where Buckman's once stood and Walgreens will be leasing it from him. In fact, the left side of Buckman's Plaza is currently undergoing a facelift. Yes, I also heard about Buckman's making a move to Elm Ridge Center. Too bad that never happened. I, too have fond memories of Buckman's. I ate quite a few of their donuts as well. If you haven't heard, Salvatore's Pizzeria restored and reopened Donuts Delite! They have some delicious donuts and flying saucers there. Their bavarian creme donuts are comparable to Buckman's.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 PM

10 posts, read 38,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
That sucks the business and building are gone, but that's "progress". That real estate has to be worth a lot of money. A friend's family owned all of the land from just west of there, on that side of Ridge, all the way to North Ave. years ago, and sold the parcels for millions. They may have owned land around where Wal Mart is, too, but I'm not sure. They owned the land the malls were built on, too, back when the orchard that was there failed in the 50's.

The funniest part of their involvement is the grandfather who bought all that land was told "nobody will ever want to live in Greece", back in the 50's.
What an interesting story!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,135 times
See Facebook page "Things I Remember About Rochester, NY" for lots of memories.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
There is still a library on Lake avenue and Britton Rd. It's the Charlotte branch. The building originally housed the phone company according to my Grandmother. They were going to close that branch this year, but the community petitioned and it's still opened. I spend a lot of time at the new Greece Library on Long Pond Rd north of Latta, but I love the old Charlotte branch. I live in Irondequoit now (just over the O'Rourke bridge which replaced the Stutson St bridge a few years ago) Right now I'm sitting at the Wendy's across from Northgate wondering when the Walmart that is relacing McCurdy's, Apple's, etc will be open. Also, wonder what will go into the building that Wegmans vacated.(

Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM

49 posts, read 49,227 times
Gather my children and you shall hear...of the 1964 race riots. We moved to Rochester in July of 1963. My first day of employment at Xerox was on July 15, 1963.

I began the first day at Xerox down town...in one of the old places Xerox owned. But only one day...and then on to Webster. I was a fresh out of college EE recruited to staff a new advanced development function. I had no idea what I was supposed to do...and my superiors were far more in the dark than I.

Within a short period of time we ended up in the basement of Hegedorns...the original interesting super market. That was on Ridge Road between West Webster and Webster. It was not allowed but one could sneak up the back stairs to get a sandwich.

We scurried around on our arrival in Rochester for a suitable place. Feeling we were somewhat urban and sophisticated though quite poor we hit on Chatham Gardens on Joseph Avenue as a suitable place. The neighborhood was black and mildly ghetto...but the complex was graduate students and middle class young blacks and a nice mix of diversified folk. So we settled there initially.

On Saturday, July 25 we got up as I was working over time which was well welcomed on our freshly married budget. Around 6:00AM I left to drive to Webster and the lab. As I made the turns on Hudson Avenue I went through a police road block....the wrong way. I turned around and asked what was going on and was told to be careful their was a race riot on Joseph Avenue and white people could get killed.

Immediately returned home to our Apartment to discover the whole complex was wide awake. Turns out everybody but us had been awake all night. We joined with a group of 10 or 12 and wandered over to Joseph Avenue to see what was going on.

My stars what a sight. Thousands of black folk covered the side walk and most of the street along Joseph Avenue. Back a coupe of blocks to the east was a huge phalanx of police who looked terribly uncomfortable. And you talk about brave. On about every corner were a couple of police officers embedded in the citizenry and sure looking like they wished they were somewhere else. The crowd was in a very good mood...otherwise my wife and I would have evacuated quickly. We were however with neighbors that included five or six big dudes and had a clear retreat into Chatham Gardens if things looked ugly..

A very muscular black guy wearing a blond wig worked the front of the crowd giving out ice cream bars obviously liberated from a nearby store.

A large older black lady who was a neighborhood activist worked the crowd to no good. It was good the time for enjoying...not embracing social theory. I will think on her name...I knew her well.

The police eventually withdrew. Basically the neighborhood was controlled by the rioters. Chatham Gardens had a couple of quick organization sessions and decided to ride it out. Organized a watch and a quick response team and decided to arm at least a bit. To my chagrin virtually all the caucasians fled...too bad. But we stayed and acquired a shotgun from my boss which we smuggled through the police lines.

One of the epic nights of all time. Dark, clear. no wind, and no sound. No traffic. No sirens. Nothing moved. Than you would hear the crashing tinkle of broken glass. Ghostly...almost. We all set in the front grass and listened and talked. A few beers but no one wanted to be under the influence if it broke loose. What a night....

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 14,814,552 times
During the riots -- I was ten years old, living in Charlotte (a "village" within Rochester bordered by the river and the lake). That evening, my parents locked our doors (which were rarely if ever locked), and we all stayed in the house, watching the TV coverage, very much afraid, not knowing what was going to happen next -- along with every one else in the city.

I do remember the eeriness of the evening.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 PM

6,234 posts, read 14,814,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelisa210 View Post
There is still a library on Lake avenue and Britton Rd. It's the Charlotte branch. The building originally housed the phone company according to my Grandmother. They were going to close that branch this year, but the community petitioned and it's still opened. I spend a lot of time at the new Greece Library on Long Pond Rd north of Latta, but I love the old Charlotte branch. I live in Irondequoit now (just over the O'Rourke bridge which replaced the Stutson St bridge a few years ago) Right now I'm sitting at the Wendy's across from Northgate wondering when the Walmart that is relacing McCurdy's, Apple's, etc will be open. Also, wonder what will go into the building that Wegmans vacated.(
I'm glad to hear it's still open. That was a great library for children in the neighborhood -- including me.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 4,969 times
Looking for information on memories of Rochester for I believe Holy Rosary Catholic school and church. Recently bought online a 1913 picture (grade school picture) and dying to put names with individuals or historical info on the school, who the priests were, etc. Really want to know the person's name the little girl with ringlets in a white dress in the second row sitting to the right of the 3 priests with Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
My memories of Rochester-holyrosary.jpg  

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM

13,662 posts, read 7,079,592 times
Thanks everyone for sharing some of your memories, especially Leaving soon (sorry to hear about your Dad) and Azeperak.

Here are a few of my memories:
We used to live on Beach Ave.
I too, recall of some ghost Navy (?) Captain stories that were being passed around. I believe we used to talk to an older gentleman and this person would talk about such things. Maybe that's how I got interested in getting into the Navy. Partly due to that. Would have liked to been in Coast Guard and helping to save people. Found out I wasn't a very good candidate for doing deep diving.

Really enjoyed being able to walk down the steps in the back yard and have Lake Ontario only just a few feet away. Made for some very cold winters though. Getting up in the mornings, touching your feet to old wooden floors. Brrrr.

We also helped fill sand bags at the thought of possible flooding of friends homes.

Used to walk to school and back and in summer time, if we had enough money on us at the time, we would stop at Abbott's custard stand. Sometimes our parents would take us there for summer time treat.

Communion at Holy Rosary (if I recall properly)? The name O'Rourke sounds familiar. Does anyone remember a Father Booth?

Midtown Plaza - Clock tower display. Always a place for folks to bring an out-of-towner for visits. I remember one time when they had a German festival there. A real choir from Germany came. My folks and my Mom's parents took me. My brother had other plans. Think my Mom's brother and his wife may have also been present. My family - Mom's is German. Dad's - Irish/Scotch. Enjoyed meeting some of the members of this choir and eating (of course). WBBF - Top of the tower. Had many a visits and tours. Meeting many of the disc jockeys. Jack Palvino - host/emcee'd many of the bowling events in town. Being a junior bowler, I participated in one of these events. He was really nice to us younger kids. I did fairly well but still nervous as heck. Girl Scouts - toured WBBF at one time or another. Ferdinand J was one of the DJ's that alot of the girls (myself included) liked. There were so many others as well, all quite nice. I had started a little scrapebook of them and also included some of the songs that had made the top 20 and a few other things of interest. I'm sure I still have the scrapebook but it's tucked away somewhere with some other collectibles.

So many memories. Many good.

I do remember of some beer /pop drive through that I would go to with my Dad. One of the guys that worked there was always trying to get my Dad to sell his Camaro.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,651,459 times
I was born in Rochester NY in the 50s. I remember the '64 race riots because my father was a city cop. He was smack in the middle of that mess, and us kids were scared to death that he'd never come back out.

I remember walking to the Culver Rd. bus stop and catching a city bus to go downtown (Main St.) with a friend to do our Christmas shopping. We were 11 years old. Parents wouldn't even dream of letting their children do that today. We'd shop at Woolworth's and Ben Franklins. We called them "Five and Dimes" back then. Then we'd go to Sibley's and ride the escalators up and down. We'd spend all day downtown. Before it got dark we'd catch the bus going back to Culver Rd, and we'd walk home from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area