Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 05:46 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Cannabis, ckh, not cannabus.

JW, it takes capital to start a business. Capital, credit, some combination thereof. And willpower, which is often negatively affected by the lack of the other things mentioned. Take a look at black v white net worth stats mentioned here:

'The median net worth of both shows similar disparities. The median wealth for Black families is $24,100, or about one-eighth of that for white families at $189,100, according to the study.'

Takes money to make money, as they say.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/blac...203317473.html
Can you say the bolded line louder for the people in the back? I’ll let you say it, as maybe some will understand if someone else or certain people say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 05:51 PM

6,189 posts, read 2,972,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So as a general question, what should the revenue go to?
How about something like infrastructure improvements, REAL improvements like tearing down abandoned buildings, repaving pot-hole riddled streets; and burying power lines, so ice storms won't cripple power delivery to homes and businesses.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 3,956,975 times
Quote:
Can you say the bolded line louder for the people in the back? I’ll let you say it, as maybe some will understand if someone else or certain people say it.
Clever, but WRONG. Money is the last thing that is needed. What is needed is proven drive and ambition.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:38 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,821,768 times
Quote:
Haha. Cheers. JW seems to forget that people such as Donald Trump had a 'small loan of a million dollars' (of 1970ish dollars) to launch his real estate empire...and he was hardly alone. It's nice to believe in 'drive' and 'ambition', and it can be true in certain isolated cases, but economic mobility is mostly a myth, now if not in the past. I'd be happy to get into a battle of statistic-marshaling on this topic with JW because I'm pretty passionate about it.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
How about something like infrastructure improvements, REAL improvements like tearing down abandoned buildings, repaving pot-hole riddled streets; and burying power lines, so ice storms won't cripple power delivery to homes and businesses.
Burying power lines is a great idea that never gets talked about in WNY. In fact, from being a lifer here, it was only through city-data that I realized that power lines were in fact buried elsewhere, lol.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:57 AM

6,189 posts, read 2,972,767 times
Quote:
Burying power lines is a great idea that never gets talked about in WNY. In fact, from being a lifer here, it was only through city-data that I realized that power lines were in fact buried elsewhere, lol.
Problem is, it's not an easy "retrofit", therefore it doesn't get much support. Where I live, now, the power lines are being buried in the newer streets that are being constructed, but these new homes are still fed from traditional, above ground power lines/poles, that are strung along the main roads. However, due to homes being a little more spread out, it wouldn't be a huge effort to go underground, if someone would spearhead the cause.

Where I used to live, on the fringe of the city, it would be a different story. I assume for the sake of looks, the power lines ran along the rear property lines of the street, with the lines feeding into the back sides of the houses on two streets. While nothing is impossible, it would be a monumental task, to retrofit and go underground in a city type of environment.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Haha. Cheers. JW seems to forget that people such as Donald Trump had a 'small loan of a million dollars' (of 1970ish dollars) to launch his real estate empire...and he was hardly alone. It's nice to believe in 'drive' and 'ambition', and it can be true in certain isolated cases, but economic mobility is mostly a myth, now if not in the past. I'd be happy to get into a battle of statistic-marshaling on this topic with JW because I'm pretty passionate about it.
You don't get it either. No problem

Old 03-31-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Clever, but WRONG. Money is the last thing that is needed. What is needed is proven drive and ambition.
You are stuck on money in terms of giving straight money. I’ve said that it can go towards improving infrastructure in neighborhoods that need it, including business/entrepreneurship. So, I’m not saying just give people money in terms of straight cash or a check. This has been mentioned several times.

Again, I think key words are getting people hung up from what really wants to be done. I liken to people that don’t want “Obamacare”, but like the Affordable Care Act. Same thing, but with different titles.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-31-2021 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think people forget that, as if he just worked his way to wealth. It was passed down and this is something that many black and Hispanic residents weren’t able to do even on a “common man” level. Here is an example of what is being referred to on a local level in terms of redlining: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...es/2750049001/

Within the article, people that had very good jobs at Kodak had to deal with it. Those that snuck through had to have white friends act as a front in order to buy a property in area suburbs for years. So, this isn’t some myth within the area and plays a part in wealth disparities, for a country that prides itself in opportunity and choice.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think people forget that, as if he just worked his way to wealth. It was passed down and this is something that many black and Hispanic residents weren’t able to do even on a “common man” level. Here is an example of what is being referred to on a local level in terms of redlining: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...es/2750049001/

Within the article, people that had very good jobs at Kodak had to deal with it. Those that snuck through had to have white friends act as a front in order to buy a property in area suburbs for years. So, this isn’t some myth within the area and plays a part in wealth disparities, for a country that prides itself in opportunity and choice.
Why are you focusing on the past? This is the year 2021!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area