Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 02:09 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Funny, but none of what you said is true. I live here and can tell you the article is all factual. "Fact check?" That's funny to.
Actually, all of it isn't and I gave an example earlier in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 02:48 PM

5,692 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, all of it isn't and I gave an example earlier in the thread.
The grad rate is slightly better (ever since a world class college took over one of the high schools). Even still, a HS graduate in the city still needs extra tutoring to bring a HS grad up to HS grad standards.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The grad rate is slightly better (ever since a world class college took over one of the high schools). Even still, a HS graduate in the city still needs extra tutoring to bring a HS grad up to HS grad standards.
That high school(East) doesn't even have the highest grad rate out of RCSD high schools. In fact, it isn't even in the top 3. SOTA(School of the Arts), World of Inquiry and Early College International have higher grad rates all in the 90's in terms of percentage.

Then, that rate doesn't even include the charter schools. So, the article was incorrect about the grad rate. This isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement, but the statement itself was simply incorrect is the point.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That high school(East) doesn't even have the highest grad rate out of RCSD high schools. In fact, it isn't even in the top 3. SOTA(School of the Arts), World of Inquiry and Early College International have higher grad rates all in the 90's in terms of percentage.

Then, that rate doesn't even include the charter schools. So, the article was incorrect about the grad rate. This isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement, but the statement itself was simply incorrect is the point.
Ok, so the CHOOSEN schools are a little better, and the charters which everyone knows aren't related to RCSD. Also, everyone knows the a city HS grad has the equivalent of a grammar school education, and if going to college, still needs to be brought up to speed for that

The rest of the article is true, and there doesn't seem to be any improvements coming from the mayor.

Rochester has always had a terrible government. Private industry has always set the pace here. Government has only served as a roadblock, and a parasite on business. We've never had the devistating business loss like Buffalo. People don't know what hard work is like. Just cries for more free stuff.

Sure was nice when Kodak and the others were thriving. They would hire people just to hang around. When the gravy train ended, these people were back on the street again, with no skills.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:50 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
fantastic article - kudos
I agree. I still have memories from when I was a youngster, and my family had just moved to Rochester, in the late 50s....Downtown at Christmas time, all the stores decorated for the season. Sibleys, McCurdys, B. Forman, McFarlins, The National, Edwards, Woolworths, Neisners, and of course, a few years later, Midtown Plaza. I can still recall, all these years later, the aroma of the cheeses and specialty cold cuts, that used to drift out from the Midtown Plaza Wegmans store, as I'd gaze at the trains and slot cars, that were set up in the front window of the Monroe Toy Shop.

Where did it all go? It didn't disappear all at once, Rochester has been in a slow decline for quite some time. And it appears that the area has finally hit a critical point, a point where the "leaders", and I use that term loosely, could stand up, present and implement a viable and successful plan to re-vitalize the area, and become true heroes. Or, they simply could "go with the flow", let the decay continue, but "get theirs" while they can, and in the end, point figures at "someone else", as things continue to worsen.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree. I still have memories from when I was a youngster, and my family had just moved to Rochester, in the late 50s....Downtown at Christmas time, all the stores decorated for the season. Sibleys, McCurdys, B. Forman, McFarlins, The National, Edwards, Woolworths, Neisners, and of course, a few years later, Midtown Plaza. I can still recall, all these years later, the aroma of the cheeses and specialty cold cuts, that used to drift out from the Midtown Plaza Wegmans store, as I'd gaze at the trains and slot cars, that were set up in the front window of the Monroe Toy Shop.

Where did it all go? It didn't disappear all at once, Rochester has been in a slow decline for quite some time. And it appears that the area has finally hit a critical point, a point where the "leaders", and I use that term loosely, could stand up, present and implement a viable and successful plan to re-vitalize the area, and become true heroes. Or, they simply could "go with the flow", let the decay continue, but "get theirs" while they can, and in the end, point figures at "someone else", as things continue to worsen.
If Rochester has an issue with murders, what difference does it make if there are more or less in other places. No murders are acceptable. What the city needs is a breath of fresh air in leadership, which will most likely never happen and the status quo will continue on ad infinitum. The current power structure is too entrenched to ever be dislodged. What NYS really needs is term limits.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 06-05-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2021, 09:05 AM

The energy in the city is all negative. Nobody is looking for solutions. They are looking for excuses and someone or something to blame. It all comes from the top down. You never hear an inspiring word from the Mayor, or anyone in a leadership position. The media is also guilty here as well.

No city becomes great because of one or 2 people in leadership. A city becomes great when it's people makes it great. Why should the people be inspired when they are offered free stuff? There are 200,000 city residents. Think what they could do. 100+ years ago when Rochester had 200,000 people, it thrived and grew to about 350,000. What has changed?

If I was mayor or had a lot of money, I'd bring in this guy. Set up seminars all over the city. Inspiring billboards. Inspiring 30 second commercials on WDKX, like the Peter Parts commercial on WHAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDNCqExjIo

Some people on this board can't see the damage being done by this terrible mindset to the PEOPLE. All for political power. The people of Rochester need to be set FREE, not forever dependent on government.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:03 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
The energy in the city is all negative. Nobody is looking for solutions. They are looking for excuses and someone or something to blame. It all comes from the top down. You never hear an inspiring word from the Mayor, or anyone in a leadership position. The media is also guilty here as well.

No city becomes great because of one or 2 people in leadership. A city becomes great when it's people makes it great. Why should the people be inspired when they are offered free stuff? There are 200,000 city residents. Think what they could do. 100+ years ago when Rochester had 200,000 people, it thrived and grew to about 350,000. What has changed?

Some people on this board can't see the damage being done by this terrible mindset to the PEOPLE. All for political power. The people of Rochester need to be set FREE, not forever dependent on government.
I agree. Just my $0.02 worth, but I feel that the city's "leadership" has a lot to do with Rochester's decline. I believe that I mentioned it in another discussion, on this site, but it bears repeating. For those unaware, GM's Delco Products originally was located in the heart of the city, on Lyell Avenue, before the facility moved further west on Lyell Avenue, just past Mt. Read Boulevard.....before they ultimately shut down, but that's another story.

Back about 25 years, maybe a little more, a manufacturing facility was looking for a place to house their new business. They considered the former Delco facility in the city, but expressed concerns about safety for their employees. They met with the mayor, to discuss the addition of some more Police presence in the area, and if provided, they'd move their operations, and the related jobs, to the area. Mayor Johnson blew them off, said the area was "just fine as it is", and they went elsewhere.

How does a person, in their right mind, blow off an opportunity like that?? But that's the mindset that's killing this area, right now........

Old 06-07-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Ok, so the CHOOSEN schools are a little better, and the charters which everyone knows aren't related to RCSD. Also, everyone knows the a city HS grad has the equivalent of a grammar school education, and if going to college, still needs to be brought up to speed for that

The rest of the article is true, and there doesn't seem to be any improvements coming from the mayor.

Rochester has always had a terrible government. Private industry has always set the pace here. Government has only served as a roadblock, and a parasite on business. We've never had the devistating business loss like Buffalo. People don't know what hard work is like. Just cries for more free stuff.

Sure was nice when Kodak and the others were thriving. They would hire people just to hang around. When the gravy train ended, these people were back on the street again, with no skills.
I’m just saying that there was at least one inaccuracy in the article and the information was given as to why it was inaccurate. It was a pretty simple point, that was illustrated with proof as to why it was inaccurate.

Other aspects of the article were also explained as well.

Also, what changed is that other areas in other regions grew due to the advent of air conditioning, they changed laws due to the Civil Rights Movement in terms of integration and in terms of school districting(which go more hand and hand than people think) and annexation allowed for cities to expand in terms of land/people, among possibly some other things.

I also think the attitude that City equals “dependent on the government” or that means that most of the people in the city do that plays a part in the division, ironically.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:09 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

The decline started in the 50's, and continues.

It's a metro area in a region of the country that is both a political and economic backwater. The "leadership" there have been making millions off the decline of the area, since at least the early-90's. One of those people is the now-deceased Sandy Parker, who profited handsomely over the years, while not doing her job at the RBA (now Chamber of Commerce). Her husband Summers profited immensely during this decline, like many business owners he took advantage of the fact that many people were desperate for work as the city and county declined, back in the 90's. Also he profited handsomely off of outsourcing. Folks who had made good money at Kodak suddenly found themselves making $8 per hour in the 90's, working for such firms.

The local news there is lauding Parker as some kind of mega-philanthropist or whatever, she and Dutch gave over $100M to non-profits in the last ten years, including setting up a charter school in Greece. Rochester is now officially Non-Profitville, as a friend of mine there quipped some years ago. People like those I listed above won't dare invest in a for-profit biz there in NY, but boy oh boy give them the chance, and they'll plunk down hard cash on things they can get tax write-offs for. This is partly why the private sector continues to struggle there and elsewhere in Upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area