Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 11:42 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Ok, I read the page and watched the video for the third time. With the ONE exception of a white girl with a job, every other person was saying what they were going to do , not what they have done. So after spending $137.8 million there is one success in Syracuse.

I also noticed that 20% don't return for their second year of college, and they don't even list number of college grads.

Sure, HS performance has "improved". They are training these kids to pass the test, not actually learn.
The program doesn’t have anything to do with teachers or training to pass the test.

That is all you got from the video? I guess the kids going to college, examples of those graduating from college, the Say Yes alumni group in Buffalo or the increase in HS grad rate in Cleveland and Syracuse mean nothing I guess. Odd…Let’s keep Rochester doing the same thing and continue to complain, I suppose.

From Greensboro-Guildord County NC: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfm...c-101860daa213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 12:34 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The program doesn’t have anything to do with teachers or training to pass the test.

That is all you got from the video? I guess the kids going to college, examples of those graduating from college, the Say Yes alumni group in Buffalo or the increase in HS grad rate in Cleveland and Syracuse mean nothing I guess. Odd…Let’s keep Rochester doing the same thing and continue to complain, I suppose.

From Greensboro-Guildord County NC: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfm...c-101860daa213
I guess your view of success is different than mine. No problem.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I guess your view of success is different than mine. No problem.
I don’t think that is the issue. I think one side is referring to opportunity(and personal responsibility) in terms of students that wouldn’t have it and using it as a tool for growth versus another side just sticking to just the school system and the way they teach. It isn’t an “either or” situation.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I don’t think that is the issue. I think one side is referring to opportunity(and personal responsibility) in terms of students that wouldn’t have it and using it as a tool for growth versus another side just sticking to just the school system and the way they teach. It isn’t an “either or” situation.
For me, success of this program= Graduating from college, and HOLDING a job in a promising career.

It appears your success = getting accepted in a college. While that may seem a worthy goal, but if they got there simply by getting good test scores, and not having the knowledge, it hurts more than helps. That happens to a lot of low income, or city students. They sometimes get preferential treatment to a college that is above their head. They flunk out and get demoralized.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
For me, success of this program= Graduating from college, and HOLDING a job in a promising career.

It appears your success = getting accepted in a college. While that may seem a worthy goal, but if they got there simply by getting good test scores, and not having the knowledge, it hurts more than helps. That happens to a lot of low income, or city students. They sometimes get preferential treatment to a college that is above their head. They flunk out and get demoralized.
No, but my point is simply to provide an opportunity for said students to get to college, if they so desire and for the program to be a way to help incentivize people to move into the city, among other things.

There are plenty of students from a low income background that go on to college, graduate and become "successful". So, it isn't as simple as the narrative of attending and flunking out.

To be honest, people from a solidly middle class background that graduate college aren't necessarily "HOLDING a job in a promising career". However, if the city of Rochester is to improve in regards to education of certain segments of its population, you have to offer something that provide a real opportunity to get out of the situation they are in. It will depend on the students/families to take advantage of the opportunity as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-16-2021 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
No, but my point is simply to provide an opportunity for said students to get to college, if they so desire and for the program to be a way to help incentivize people to move into the city, among other things.

There are plenty of students from a low income background that go on to college, graduate and become "successful". So, it isn't as simple as the narrative of attending and flunking out.

To be honest, people from a solidly middle class background that graduate college aren't necessarily "HOLDING a job in a promising career". However, if the city of Rochester is to improve in regards to education of certain segments of its population, you have to offer something that provide a real opportunity to get out of the situation they are in. It will depend on the students/families to take advantage of the opportunity as well.
You keep stating success. Why don't you provide proof. There should be thousands of examples, yet the only one you've presented was ONE.

So you're saying that the school district is failing their RESPONSIBILITY to provide an education? Why not fix that, rather than pile on another program? Are the current administrators that inept?

Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You keep stating success. Why don't you provide proof. There should be thousands of examples, yet the only one you've presented was ONE.

So you're saying that the school district is failing their RESPONSIBILITY to provide an education? Why not fix that, rather than pile on another program? Are the current administrators that inept?
Again, you are mixing things up. There was more than one example and the citywide program isn’t that old. Increasing numbers of students going to college is the point of the program. The responsibility piece I’m referring to is that of the student/family in terms of taking advantage of the program and college opportunity. You’re getting stuck on teachers/admins that don’t have anything to do with the program. It is or could be a piece of the puzzle in terms of furthering one’s education, increasing the overall grad rate and attract families to the city. I don’t understand how hard it is to understand and you don’t have to be lower income either.

Ironically, as I was typing this, I was having a conversation with a coworker, whose son graduated from Erie CC and is now working as a postal worker, with a side gig as a music producer and is a homeowner. So, there are others that are doing fine after taking advantage of the program.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Again, you are mixing things up. There was more than one example and the citywide program isn’t that old. Increasing numbers of students going to college is the point of the program. The responsibility piece I’m referring to is that of the student/family in terms of taking advantage of the program and college opportunity. You’re getting stuck on teachers/admins that don’t have anything to do with the program. It is or could be a piece of the puzzle in terms of furthering one’s education, increasing the overall grad rate and attract families to the city. I don’t understand how hard it is to understand and you don’t have to be lower income either.

Ironically, as I was typing this, I was having a conversation with a coworker, whose son graduated from Erie CC and is now working as a postal worker, with a side gig as a music producer and is a homeowner. So, there are others that are doing fine after taking advantage of the program.
I have a feeling that it is you, not understanding what I'm saying. (teachers/admin--what????) so of course your replies to me would be incorrect as well, as you are replying to something different than what I'm saying.

Ok, so now you have TWO examples, out of tens of thousands that went through this program. It will ONLY be a success , if the students can thrive on their own AFTER cutting the strings. There should be thousands of examples , including many who have created successful businesses, employing others.

Btw, I do understand what you are saying

Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling that it is you, not understanding what I'm saying. (teachers/admin--what????) so of course your replies to me would be incorrect as well, as you are replying to something different than what I'm saying.

Ok, so now you have TWO examples, out of tens of thousands that went through this program. It will ONLY be a success , if the students can thrive on their own AFTER cutting the strings. There should be thousands of examples , including many who have created successful businesses, employing others.

Btw, I do understand what you are saying
There are if you look at the information of students going to college and grad rates increasing. There are likely others, even if the first citywide program only started 13 years ago. My point again is about opportunity to go to college and being used as an incentive for graduation and for families. That should be crystal clear.

You kept mentioning teachers and administrators. Hence, the response back that this doesn’t have anything to do with them.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
There are if you look at the information of students going to college and grad rates increasing. There are likely others, even if the first citywide program only started 13 years ago. My point again is about opportunity to go to college and being used as an incentive for graduation and for families. That should be crystal clear.

You kept mentioning teachers and administrators. Hence, the response back that this doesn’t have anything to do with them.
170,000 students have passed through the system. You post TWO success stories and say "there are LIKELY others". As usual, thanks for the chuckle.

I have no idea what I "kept mentioning teachers and administrators" means??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area