Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 07:18 AM

94,015 posts, read 124,842,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Very interesting article, in which I did know that many of the founders of cities/towns in NY also had enslaved Africans with them or were the latter themselves that came from VA and MD. In fact, Auburn's first non native settlers were a Revolutionary War officer, his daughter and 2 enslaved Africans that still has descendants in that city(ironically, their last name is Freeman). This is a part of the reason why I started that thread in the general section in the first place. It was to let people know that the presence of said people in the state is very complicated and nuanced than what we are taught in school/higher ed institutions or the media.

I think that is the thing with this situation. While this may not change the results of the school, I think it just shows how much we aren't taught and how things are/can be skewed from a particular lens. Hence, why you have this issue with CRT, when if the truth was taught in the first place, this wouldn't even be an issue. Perhaps if we got the full story in the first place, the name wouldn't even be on the school. On the other hand, we also have to consider the landscape of the city at the time of the start of the school. So, this is quite complicated.

Ironically, this guy that was the second black mayor that Berkeley CA had was born in Rochester and descends from said people that first came(dare I say brought) to Wayne County in the early 1800's: https://www.wayneaction.org/articles...racial-justice

So, I think this article and situation also reveals some aspects of history in the area that is not widely known.

I also don't think it is an accident that many of the black residents of LeRoy, the Caledonia-Mumford area, Scottsville and Avon had roots in the Culpeper VA area either and there has been a presence in that general area of the Rochester metro/CSA for well over a century, if not centuries. Certain surnames like Alexander, Majors and Poles are common from black residents in that general area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2021 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area