Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 06:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times

Advertisements

It appears the latest "crisis" for the city to address, is that School #3 is named for the late, founder of what became the city of Rochester, Nathaniel Rochester. It has supposedly been discovered that Mr. Rochester, who was born in the mid 1700s, was a slave owner, to some degree.

Personally, I don't know anyone who was alive back then, therefore could positively affirm that this was indeed true. Secondly, Mr. Rochester died 190 years ago!! Let him rest in peace! There are far more pressing issues that are unfolding NOW, that need attention, rather then trying to change what happened long ago. The past is exactly that, the past........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:16 AM

5,682 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
It appears the latest "crisis" for the city to address, is that School #3 is named for the late, founder of what became the city of Rochester, Nathaniel Rochester. It has supposedly been discovered that Mr. Rochester, who was born in the mid 1700s, was a slave owner, to some degree.

Personally, I don't know anyone who was alive back then, therefore could positively affirm that this was indeed true. Secondly, Mr. Rochester died 190 years ago!! Let him rest in peace! There are far more pressing issues that are unfolding NOW, that need attention, rather then trying to change what happened long ago. The past is exactly that, the past........
Imagine going through life where every building offends you, and you complain, and they just change the name. Talk about spoiled privilage. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Time to move on.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Imagine going through life where every building offends you, and you complain, and they just change the name. Talk about spoiled privilege. Slavery ended 150 years ago. Time to move on.
I agree.

If changing history was possible, I'd go back to 1940, and see to it that WWII never happened. Had that been the case, my father never would have had to leave an established job, to become a front line, combat soldier, for 3 years, only to return, and find his job being done by someone else, which required him to go off in another direction.

His life would have been SO much different, and most likely mine, too. BUT, we can't change the past, so all we can do is live the present while learning from the past.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 07-23-2021 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree.

If changing history was possible, I'd go back to 1940, and see to it that WWII never happened. Had that been the case, my father never would have had to leave an established job, to become a front line, combat soldier, for 3 years, only to return, and find his job being done by someone else, which required him to go off in another direction.

His life would have been SO much different, and most likely mine, too. BUT, we can't change the past, so all we can do is live the present while learning from the past.
My hope and dream for this country is that people finally figure out that they have been played by the very government they have been so faithful to. Imagine being held hostage to the promise of reparations for 150 years. Decade after decade after decade of poverty. Fortunately so many haven't listened to all the excuses and went on with their lives and are now very successful.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:32 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
^What does any of that have to do with the name change, which has just happened?: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...olloway-young/

I don't think the city will change its name though.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^What does any of that have to do with the name change, which has just happened?: https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...olloway-young/

I don't think the city will change its name though.
Based on how a couple of the news reports were worded, the school's name has to be changed, because Mr. Rochester, allegedly used slaves during his lifetime.....a lifetime that ended 190 years ago. At what point do we turn the page, and move forward, rather than backward?

Old 07-28-2021, 12:09 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
I mean I can understand why a school that has a 93% minority enrollment might “feel” better about no longer going to a school named after a 18th century slave owner, but symbolic gestures such as these rarely accomplish anything.

My fiancé, who happens to be black, probably phrased it perfectly: “That’s nice, but it won’t improve the school.”

I think the district has more important issues to worry about.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I mean I can understand why a school that has a 93% minority enrollment might “feel” better about no longer going to a school named after a 18th century slave owner, but symbolic gestures such as these rarely accomplish anything.

My fiancé, who happens to be black, probably phrased it perfectly: “That’s nice, but it won’t improve the school.”

Yes, but as far as the visuals, and kudos that will be had with no actual change but the name. The people running the schools are all phonies.

If I had my way, I would fire the entire staff of the RCSD and turn the operation over to a private, for profit company. Go back to the basics. Math, Reading. English, History. If they can't master the basics, and many HS graduates can't, you're finished.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post

VERY well stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, but as far as the visuals, and kudos that will be had with no actual change but the name. The people running the schools are all phonies.

If I had my way, I would fire the entire staff of the RCSD and turn the operation over to a private, for profit company. Go back to the basics. Math, Reading. English, History. If they can't master the basics, and many HS graduates can't, you're finished.
I understand your point, but as I've mentioned in other discussions, on this website, I have friends/family members who were employed by the RCSD. We all have discussed, at length, the issues that the district faces. The bottom line is that if the students aren't getting any support from home, they're destined to fail. For the teachers, it's an extremely difficult task, and privatizing the district, and using the same style of performance evaluation that's used in a "real job", would, IMHO, have 90% of the students on the failure list. Therefore, very little would be accomplished.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:19 AM

6,399 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Fascinating article:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...er/3256274001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area