Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:09 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,739,466 times

Advertisements

Something I've been noticing recently is young panhandler's on street corners. I'm sure we all have seen people in disheveled appearance, such as unkempt clothing or unwashed hair, panhandling one busy intersection corners. But recently I've been noticing people much younger, not even looking the part. One girl I saw yesterday at the end of rt. 104 near the Kodiak building, she didn't look the part, looks like after a shower, makeup and getting dressed she picked up a sign to start her day of panhandling.

Wondering who give $ to these people, obviously they are able bodied and employers are begging for workers. It's not like we are in a deep recession and no work is to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 09:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 3,956,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Something I've been noticing recently is young panhandler's on street corners. I'm sure we all have seen people in disheveled appearance, such as unkempt clothing or unwashed hair, panhandling one busy intersection corners. But recently I've been noticing people much younger, not even looking the part. One girl I saw yesterday at the end of rt. 104 near the Kodiak building, she didn't look the part, looks like after a shower, makeup and getting dressed she picked up a sign to start her day of panhandling.

Wondering who give $ to these people, obviously they are able bodied and employers are begging for workers. It's not like we are in a deep recession and no work is to be found.
Some one is always at that intersection. The thing I notice is there would be trash all around their feet, but they just beg. How about cleaning the trash, and I will give you money? There are plenty of jobs.

There's a John Stossel video where he finds out there's good money in begging.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:44 AM

6,188 posts, read 2,972,767 times
The Carter Street exit, from Route 104 west bound, is also a popular site for beggars. My dentist is located on Ridge Road, near that exit, so I go through that intersection several times a year. If I have an early morning appointment, and go through there around 7:15-7:30, I see a 9 passenger van, dropping off "professional panhandlers" there.....

Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The Carter Street exit, from Route 104 west bound, is also a popular site for beggars. My dentist is located on Ridge Road, near that exit, so I go through that intersection several times a year. If I have an early morning appointment, and go through there around 7:15-7:30, I see a 9 passenger van, dropping off "professional panhandlers" there.....
Yup, someone is there all the time. With all the legitimate work available, I wonder why this continues?

Old 08-05-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yup, someone is there all the time. With all the legitimate work available, I wonder why this continues?
I'm pretty sure that this "panhandling" deal must give them a percentage of their "take". Therefore they choose to do it because, IMHO, A) they can't get a real job, due to "personal issues"; B) they don't have the educational background to get hired; C) they find it easier to have a "do nothing" sort of job.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,739,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm pretty sure that this "panhandling" deal must give them a percentage of their "take". Therefore they choose to do it because, IMHO, A) they can't get a real job, due to "personal issues"; B) they don't have the educational background to get hired; C) they find it easier to have a "do nothing" sort of job.
C. is the most likely answer, anyway I find it difficult to believe that you can earn a better living pan handling then to get a job. Not to mention standing outside all day in the heat or in the cold is more desirable than working in an environment with A/C cooling or heat.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
C. is the most likely answer, anyway I find it difficult to believe that you can earn a better living pan handling then to get a job. Not to mention standing outside all day in the heat or in the cold is more desirable than working in an environment with A/C cooling or heat.
Eventually it will hit them when they have no employment history or credit history and want to rent an apartment or buy a car

Old 08-12-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Eventually it will hit them when they have no employment history or credit history and want to rent an apartment or buy a car
Or if they live long enough, want to sign up for Social Security....

Old 08-12-2021, 08:32 AM

91,996 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Or they actually work/have a good support system and the panhandling is a "hustle".

There may be a "habit" involved as well.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or they actually work/have a good support system and the panhandling is a "hustle".

There may be a "habit" involved as well.
And most likely getting an unemployment check while doing this on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area